Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@newbuddhist.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take up to 48 hours. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Good books?

CarlitaCarlita United States Veteran

Hey.

Have you guys read: Great Disciples of The Buddha?

I read In The Buddha's Words. Is it similar type of writint? Easier, harder.

Comments

  • federicafederica seeker of the clear blue sky Moderator

    It's one to add to our list...

    (Warning - there may be repeated recommendations... ! :D )

  • CarlitaCarlita United States Veteran

    Oh no :( Should I be scared?

  • federicafederica seeker of the clear blue sky Moderator

    Not in the slightest! It's just a long thread of books recommended by members for those wishing to dip in and read some literature they might find useful.

    There is nothing about this site that should scare you.
    If something bothers you, either PM me, or 'flag' the pertinent comment.

    But nonsense and trolling rarely - if ever - even get to first base here.... ;)

  • CarlitaCarlita United States Veteran

    @federica said:
    Not in the slightest! It's just a long thread of books recommended by members for those wishing to dip in and read some literature they might find useful.

    There is nothing about this site that should scare you.
    If something bothers you, either PM me, or 'flag' the pertinent comment.

    But nonsense and trolling rarely - if ever - even get to first base here.... ;)

    I was joking about the scaring. You said I may get repeated recommendations. Hopefully not too much. I was going to buy the book at a good price; and, wanted to see if others here read it before I do. I always wanted to know more about the disciples.

    bookworm
  • federicafederica seeker of the clear blue sky Moderator

    I have read "In the Buddha's Words". I have to admit, I found it heavy-going.
    I'm afraid I subscribe to the more, shall we say, 'light-hearted' approach, when a book is anecdotal, 'human' and 'speaks to me' on my level.

    I'm a simple soul when all's said and done...

    Carlita
  • CarlitaCarlita United States Veteran

    @federica said:
    I have read "In the Buddha's Words". I have to admit, I found it heavy-going.
    I'm afraid I subscribe to the more, shall we say, 'light-hearted' approach, when a book is anecdotal, 'human' and 'speaks to me' on my level.

    I'm a simple soul when all's said and done...

    Yeah. It is a bit heavy. It is also hard to read given the repeativeness. For some reason light-hearted books don't do the trick as much for me but academic books make my head ache...

    So.. dont know what to say. Keep it simple.. That's the best way to go.

  • federicafederica seeker of the clear blue sky Moderator

    Middle way.... :D

    CarlitaRuddyDuck9
  • SpinyNormanSpinyNorman It's still all old bollocks Veteran

    @Carlita said:> I read In The Buddha's Words. Is it similar type of writint? Easier, harder.

    I'm not sure what you're looking for, but this is a good general introduction to Buddhism: http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/tree-enlightenment.pdf

    Carlita
  • CarlitaCarlita United States Veteran

    @SpinyNorman said:

    @Carlita said:> I read In The Buddha's Words. Is it similar type of writint? Easier, harder.

    I'm not sure what you're looking for, but this is a good general introduction to Buddhism: http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/tree-enlightenment.pdf

    I was asking if anyone has read "Great Disciples of The Buddha" before. I have In the Buddha's Words. I always wanted to read about his disciples. Online link is good. Was thinking of buying it. I love books.

  • Lonely_TravellerLonely_Traveller East Midlands UK Veteran

    From the Theravadin perspective here are a couple.

    What the Buddha taught by Walpola Sri Rahula.

    The sound of silence and don't take your life personally by AJahn Sumedho.

    From the Zen perspective Zen mind beginners mind and not always so by Shunryu Suzuki.

    Carlita
  • CarlitaCarlita United States Veteran

    @Lonely_Traveller said:
    From the Theravadin perspective here are a couple.

    What the Buddha taught by Walpola Sri Rahula.

    The sound of silence and don't take your life personally by AJahn Sumedho.

    From the Zen perspective Zen mind beginners mind and not always so by Shunryu Suzuki.

    Zen mind beginners mind is good light read. Ill look up the other two. Thanks :)

  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `     ` `     ` Outa Range Fridays thru Sundays South Carolina, USA Veteran

    Ajahn Chah— any renderings of his teachings. I think more can be learned from people who never took it upon themselves to write prose for publication in the first place. Much of Ajahn Chah's stuff can be found in cheap or free e-books, under various collections' names.

    At a retreat I attended recently one of the senior monks said that he worked for a year in an ashram's bookstore (one of the 35 years of his life he lived in India). Anyhow, this one guy came into the bookstore almost every day and bought a lot of books. After a while, the monk finally got around to asking him a question he had been dying to ask: "How do you find time to read all these books?"

    The man responded: "O, there's so much to learn that I've decided that in this lifetime I'd concentrate on buying books and in my next lifetime I'll read them."

    lobster
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `     ` `     ` Outa Range Fridays thru Sundays South Carolina, USA Veteran

    Yes, books can be good.

    littlestudent
  • Good point from @Nirvana

    Undigested books (so to speak) or read too fast without 'right view' lead to ... well ... maybe we have been that study ...

    Part of the reason a 'spiritual' journal is useful; the expansion from 'thus have I read' to 'I don't believe I wrote that' ...

    Think of yourself as a recommended read ... B)

    Carlita
  • CarlitaCarlita United States Veteran

    @Carlita said:

    @Lonely_Traveller said:
    From the Theravadin perspective here are a couple.

    What the Buddha taught by Walpola Sri Rahula.

    The sound of silence and don't take your life personally by AJahn Sumedho.

    From the Zen perspective Zen mind beginners mind and not always so by Shunryu Suzuki.

    Zen mind beginners mind is good light read. Ill look up the other two. Thanks :)

    That one is a good, light read.

  • CarlitaCarlita United States Veteran

    @SpinyNorman said:

    @Carlita said:> I read In The Buddha's Words. Is it similar type of writint? Easier, harder.

    I'm not sure what you're looking for, but this is a good general introduction to Buddhism: http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/tree-enlightenment.pdf

    I was wondering if anyone has read Great Disciples of the Buddha: http://www.amazon.com/Great-Disciples-Buddha-Legacy-Teachings/dp/0861713818

  • Yes I have read Great Disciples of the Buddha. A worthwhile addition to ones bookshelf.
    Like many good books it can be read more than once. The section on the Ven Shariputra floats my raft.

  • rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran

    'Jataka tales' This will teach you about the stories of Bodhisattva.

  • CarlitaCarlita United States Veteran

    @grackle said:
    Yes I have read Great Disciples of the Buddha. A worthwhile addition to ones bookshelf.
    Like many good books it can be read more than once. The section on the Ven Shariputra floats my raft.

    Nice. I just bought it and waiting for it to come in the mail. I hope its not too think of a read. I have In The Buddha's Words, Thats good for one's collection too.

Sign In or Register to comment.