Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

a vaguely-expressed question

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

I know that there are others here who are surely better-Buddhism-read than I am -- and whose minds are less Swiss-cheesey than my own -- so here is a wispy question that occurred to me today:

As I recollect poorly my own readings in the past (primarily Zen Buddhism), it seems to me that there were a number of well-respected teachers who expressed the hope that they might at last run into a student who would call their bluff, slap their face, kick their ass or in some other overt way stop groveling around the 'teacher's' skirts. Do I remember their names? No I don't ... I told you: Swiss Cheese Mind is my middle name.

But even if I cannot remember their names, I also have a hard time thinking I made all this up. And if my impoverished recollection is close to being correct, then my question is: 1. Why would anyone to whom a venerable understanding was attributed make such a wish and 2. what truth, if any, were they hoping such action might illuminate?

Apologies for my lack of specificity, but I hope others here may help fill in my vagueness.

Nirvana

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Even teachers have stuff to learn. ;)

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Hm, well, I think they laid down a challenge, because they obviously have established themselves as an authority of sorts and they need someone to challenge them, to keep them on their toes.

rohit
  • Will_BakerWill_Baker Vermont Veteran
    edited January 2016

@genkaku, it sounds like you are describing Zen Dharma combat, if so, you are remembering correctly...

• ZeroZero Veteran
    1. Every teacher I'm sure wants to see their student graduate and there is no one way to teach or impart ideas - this may be a sign that they're ready to strike out on their own. I mentor and take the same delight if and when I'm put in my place - whether wrong or right, I like to see that my word is not the law but just a guide to taking responsibility - freedom to create perhaps.

2. Who can you rely on if you can't rely on yourself?

silver
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

@genkaku

I've heard this story repeated more often by students, than by teachers.

But to respond with a vagueness of my own...

The teachers most tenacious koan to address is how to transcend the narcotic elixir of their own students faith & devotion. Fame & gain seems to seductively bewilder teachers as much as the students or anyone else.

So...

My hat's off to anyone, teacher or student, who's practice transcends any part of the
    "self verses other" equation.

lobster
  • @SpinyNorman said:
    Even teachers have stuff to learn. ;)

Exactly so.

There is for the awake as well as the ignorant depths of knowing. The difference is one of opening the potential for greater wisdom, if one is open to the independence from predetermined or preconceived roles.

Part of the reason to return to the near shore, back to the market place, is to be free of the labeling criteria. Not so easy in modern circles ...

There is an old story of a Sufi Bodhi whose teacher proclaimed the student was ready to teach and the teacher would now dissapear and resume his role as a wandering dervish. At the teachers recommendation many flocked to the teaching circuit of student now master.
    The new teacher answered questions and clarified for his new circle of followers. The devoted new students began their course of instruction.
    One day the progress and earnest endeavour was interrupted by increasingly meaningless and ignorant questions from a nomad. As the new master tried to answer this difficult students questions, the nomads face became familiar and he saw the face of his former mentor.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

The thought that came to my mind was the problem that really beautiful people can face. Others are intimidated by their looks and will often overlook mistakes or not challenge them on things in order to please them or win approval. Thus over time they don't face the challenges and difficulties that develop skill or a realistic understanding of the world.

I guess that is a way of saying that if everyone only grovels and submits to the teacher they could grow soft and complacent and miss opportunities to learn and grow.

DavidKundo
  • @how said:
    Fame & gain seems to seductively bewilder teachers as much as the students or anyone else.

:3

So true. A lot of it is often complicity in snoozing technique. The assumption that every awake individual can or does teach in an overt way is an expectation.

The awake teach (if they do) independently of ascribed roles. So how do we find these Pratyekabuddha?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratyekabuddha

Do we find an overt teacher and ask them where the enlightened hang out ... :grin:

how
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited February 2016

@Lobster
    Do we find an overt teacher and ask them where the enlightened hang out?

or...

One could also allow ones meditation to stand in for both.

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited February 2016

@genkaku said:

But even if I cannot remember their names, I also have a hard time thinking I made all this up. And if my impoverished recollection is close to being correct, then my question is: 1. Why would anyone to whom a venerable understanding was attributed make such a wish and 2. what truth, if any, were they hoping such action might illuminate?

The Japanese Zeniths sometimes seem to have a cultural inclination for violence. I am happy to send them ass kickers. However that is just ignorance. Such questions are perhaps kindly addressed to 'ask a teacher' section at http://www.zenforuminternational.org or similar ass kickin' meets.

Personally I prefer the company of the enlightened but as they are self contained, company is not a requirement ... :)

One could also allow ones meditation to stand in for both.

Yes indeed.
    Formal sitting, mindfulness, physical meditation such as prostrations, walking, tea making, flower arranging, chanting, yoga or tai chi, sila (meditation on action) and meditation/study of the wise and avoiding our ignorance, all have a habit of enabling our inner teacher IMO ...

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited February 2016

@lobster ... the above is one of the central reasons I left that bulletin board

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I used to be a member too. Until I realised that they'd got their heads so far up their own asses, they had totally convinced themselves that daylight was brown-coloured.....

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

@federica .... :)

• In the Mahayana tradition that I sometimes try to uphold, we go to the dark regions to provide light for the interior benefits ...

Never underestimate the power of methane powered torches ... o:)

how