Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Monks.say the wackiest things.....

BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I recently heard a monk say in a talk he was giving that he honestly believed that human beings lived five million years ago and that, at that time, had a lifespan of 65,000 years!
I read in a book from the same tradition that they believed people used to be able to fly!

What's the wackiest thing you've come across in your practice?

Tara1978

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2016

Hmmmm...that aids can be cured with olive oil or lemon juice, and that contraceptives are the work of the devil.

(My 'ex-practice'.... really. Hardly surprising it's 'ex'....)

Invincible_summer
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

That people from the continent west of Mount Meru are made of butter as opposed to the people from the southern continent that are made out of meat.

Invincible_summerNirvanalobster
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2016

That one of the possessions they were thinking of hanging onto after ordaining was their AK-47,but perhaps this shouldn't apply since they were not yet ordained at that point.

Invincible_summer
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

At a retreat with Lama Dudjom Dorje, someone who lived far out of town said he was feeling guilty about driving his car into town to study the dharma (he also attends twice weekly sangha meetings, he is about 20 miles out of town). He explained his guilt was over environmental concerns, he didn't want his love of Buddhism to contribute to global warming.

Lama laughed a big belly laugh and slapped him on the shoulder and said "HA! Do not worry. If we blow up this planet, we will simply be reborn on a new one!"

I don't know what would happen in the case of the destruction of the planet, but his response was just bizarre and no one knew what to say. Very awkward, lol.

Invincible_summerKale4Dayz
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Sogyal Rinpoche made us wait. Not cool. ;)

• rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran

May be they want to say 65000 years ago dinosours used to fly.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@rohit said:
    May be they want to say 65000 years ago dinosours used to fly.

I wish that were true but I know that they meant what they said.

rohit
  • rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran

@Bunks They might have read all bulky scriptures as it is. And intepreted wrong. There are some monks comes from human society and may be prone to mistakes.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

All monks come from human society. And all are prone to mistakes without exception. Even HHDL has (by his own admission) 'made mistakes'.....

Invincible_summerBunks
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I think a lot of it is just translation and language. Some of it is just understanding. I don't think anyone was trying to say it was anything but a mistake. Mistakes can be funny though :) My teacher laughs heartily at his all the time :)

Bunks
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

Lama laughed a big belly laugh and slapped him on the shoulder and said "HA! Do not worry. If we blow up this planet, we will simply be reborn on a new one!"

I don't know the guy, but I very much doubt what he said should be taken at face value. After all, such scruples about burning a rather insignificant amount of fossil fuel in the scope of things could not be expected to be taken seriously by a serious spiritual aspirant —at the expense of common sense. In other words, "To Hell with things like that; first pay attention to things that really matter and the rest will fall into place."

The slap on the shoulder: how Zen-Master like.

karasti
  • @Bunks said:
    What's the wackiest thing you've come across in your practice?

Unenlightened monks giving sermons on enlightenment. People listening. Game on. o:)

rohitWalkerTara1978
  • “Kwatz!” It is a sound, found by Zen, that shatters your mind.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited February 2016

@IronRabbit said:
    “Kwatz!” It is a sound, found by Zen, that shatters your mind.

Who requires a shattered mind? Puddy kwatz?

Miaow! :p

Regarding the original question; it was a monk advocating piss drinking ...
    http://skepdic.com/urine.html

Keep an eye on the sangha, guys ...

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited February 2016

@lobster said:

@IronRabbit said:
    “Kwatz!” It is a sound, found by Zen, that shatters your mind.

Who requires a shattered mind? Puddy kwatz?

Miaow! :p

Regarding the original question; it was a monk advocating piss drinking ...
    http://skepdic.com/urine.html

Keep an eye on the sangha, guys ...

~ He was just taking the piss @lobster :)

Walkerlobster
  • Tara1978Tara1978 UK Veteran

That smoking or drinking alcohol can be made safe by a "purifying" method, very expensive to learn so it must be true! :(

• @Tara1978 said:
    That smoking or drinking alcohol can be made safe by a "purifying" method, very expensive to learn so it must be true! :(

Ay curumba, these 'Buddhists' ... O.o
    I will tell you the free method, which works. Abstention.

Tara1978
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@Tara1978 said:

Did Chogyam Trungpa tell you this ? :wink:

• Tara1978Tara1978 UK Veteran

@Shoshin said:

@Tara1978 said:

Did Chogyam Trungpa tell you this ? :wink:

No, it was a Chinese esoteric buddhist school, based in LA.