Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Freshness

misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a HinduIndia Veteran

hi all,

good morning.

theoretically i understand that each moment is new and each moment can be so short that i may not be able to see its arising and ceasing.

but why i do not feel the freshness of each moment? if i am suppose just sitting as said in zazen and there is not much external noise, then how do i feel the freshness of each moment - after all, if suppose i sit for 5 minutes, then the wall which is in front of me at the 1 min is the same wall at the 2 min - i cannot forget at 2nd minute that at 1st minute i had not seen that wall, nor i do not know that it is a wall. here if we try to go into the emptiness way of seeing there is no wall, then what am i doing in meditation because at that moment level, which can be so short, what can be done in that moment.

so where would the question arise - what is it? meaning how would the curiosity of mind arising trying to figure out what is new in this moment and how to feel its freshness?

please suggest. thanks in advance.

Comments

• Well so are you finding some moments are not fresh?

lobsterZero
  • Tee Hee.

Fresh boredom eh? Fresh past moments awareness eh?

Well said @Jeffrey B)

Ah fresh seeking freshness ... not fresh awareness ... some other fresh stuff etc
    etc freshness ... o:)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

You do not find freshness because you do not seek it, and are thus unaware. You may be conscious that each nano-second following one after the other, is fresh - but you are not in that 'freshness' mind-set.

If the Mountain will not come to Mohammed, Mohammed must go to the mountain.

First, perceive, be aware.
    Then, each moment may reveal its freshness to you.

Nirvana
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

From my view there are no new moments, only this ever changing moment.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Nothing fancy. When you sneeze, well, that's it, right? No believing, no hoping, no jostling thoughts of freshness. There is no something else so there is no escaping the freshness... a 'now' so 'now' that there is no such thing as 'now.'

And if there is something fancy, well, go ahead and be fancy until that wears out.

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

why do I not feel the freshness of each moment?
    please suggest. thanks in advance.

Maybe you're not thinking right, or rather your thinking activity just plumb gets in the way?

Cannot figure that one out.

How can you express in words or ideas the taste and smell of a delicious orange you are in the process of eating? How can you entirely separate your delight from either your person or the orange?

What Genkaku said! To be awake (bodhi) is to take delight in the great All —so much to be discovered in that great expanse. Just don't push too hard. It's a matter of time spent and heartfelt dedication —not self-imposed obligation.

• techietechie India Veteran

Some people say that most problems can be reduced to the subconscious. Even if we
    'consciously' try to be quiet, the subconscious is so active underneath the surface that we never really taste genuine silence. So maybe this is why a 'fresh moment' is so hard to come by.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited February 2016

@misecmisc1 said:

but why i do not feel the freshness of each moment? if i am suppose just sitting as said in zazen and there is not much external noise, then how do i feel the freshness of each moment - after all, if suppose i sit for 5 minutes, then the wall which is in front of me at the 1 min is the same wall at the 2 min - i cannot forget at 2nd minute that at 1st minute i had not seen that wall, nor i do not know that it is a wall. here if we try to go into the emptiness way of seeing there is no wall, then what am i doing in meditation because at that moment level, which can be so short, what can be done in that moment.

The wall watching freshness is not in 'watching paint drying' - sounds a fun activity to me - but in experiencing the fresh noise of the subconcious that @techie describes or the sitting in the sneeze absent now ...

Fun for all the inner family

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Are you expecting this "freshness" to be something special @misecmisc1 ?

Just seeing the extraordinary in the ordinary is seeing something afresh = freshness.... :)

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@David said:> From my view there are no new moments, only this ever changing moment.

If each moment was the same as the next you wouldn't notice any change.

lobster
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited February 2016

@SpinyNorman said:

@David said:> From my view there are no new moments, only this ever changing moment.

If each moment was the same as the next you wouldn't notice any change.

Not a frozen moment, a fluid moment. It is change that makes it seem like different moments but if moments were truly separate there would be no allowance for change.

It is only a different moment in the same sense it is a different river. Because it has changed, not because it was replaced.

If there are different moments it should be easy to find the smallest increment, however, as far as we know there is no smallest increment.

There is no way to find the smallest without finding the biggest.

This is just as true for time as it is for space and form.

All borders are convention.

All of them.

• rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran

Open the window and let fresh air come inside.

edited February 2016

@David said: It is only a different moment in the same sense it is a different river. Because it has changed, not because it was replaced.

But talking about an "it" which changes is also problematic.

Anyway this kind of philosophising takes us further away from the OP.

@rohit said: Open the window and let fresh air come inside.

Or even better step outside and feel the wind on your face. ;)

@SpinyNorman said:

@David said: It is only a different moment in the same sense it is a different river. Because it has changed, not because it was replaced.

But talking about an "it" which changes is also problematic. One moment arising in dependence on the previous one might be more accurate. Or one hour, or one day, or one year, the interval isn't really important.

If the interval is not important that only proves the separation is relative and thus convention.

We have found the smallest moment we can measure but that is certainly not the smallest because any whole can be divided infinitely.

edited February 2016

It doesn't matter what the interval is, only that one interval is different from the next. If one interval were the same as the next then there would be no observable change. Talking about "something" changing is inaccurate because there are no things, only processes. What we actually experience is a succession of moments, rather like the frames of a film. And like the frames of a film we get the impression of continuous change.

@misecmisc1 said:1 min is the same wall at the 2 min - i cannot forget at 2nd minute that at 1st minute i had not seen that wall, nor i do not know that it is a wall.

The point of staring at a blank wall or closing your eyes is to become more aware of internal processes. Just observe what is happening in your body and mind, there is always movement though it becomes increasingly subtle.

lobstermisecmisc1
  • There's a difference between fresh foods and unfresh foods, but there really is no such thing as fresh sunshine. Most of what we think of as "fresh" is fabrication. Fabricated to entice our senses so that we become better consumers.

David

@namarupa said:> There's a difference between fresh foods and unfresh foods, but there really is no such thing as fresh sunshine. Most of what we think of as "fresh" is fabrication. Fabricated to entice our senses so that we become better consumers.

Isn't feeling the warmth of the sun on your face a fresh experience?

• Fresh would suggest something new. If the label is put as "new", then that's dualism. Which would make it not a new experience anymore, but a new/old comparison.

It's fresh if you're paying attention.