Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What chickens can teach us about cooperation

personperson Don't believe everything you thinkThe liminal space Veteran
edited February 2016 in Philosophy

I don't want to give away the spoiler about this TED talk but an experiment was done with chickens that gives some great insight into how we organize our work lives.

https://www.ted.com/talks/margaret_heffernan_why_it_s_time_to_forget_the_pecking_order_at_work?language=en

lobster

Comments

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

Great Talk. However, the work life patterns Ms. Heffernan says have to be eliminated have already —in large part— been eliminated in nursing. There is no other way.

But these CEOs who get paid millions and millions by corporations? Something's gotta give.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

That's clucking awesome :)

personsovaVastmind
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited February 2016

Back when animal studies started there seemed to be an emphasis on the aggressive, competitive side to animals and that emphasis sort of excused a lot bad behavior by people when it came to business. Now that there are more animal studies being done that show the beneficial, cooperative side I can only hope that will have a similar effect in the opposite direction.

sovaVastmind
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited February 2016

Last year the work culture at Amazon was reported on for being especially harsh. Maybe Jeff Bezos should start raising chickens.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/16/technology/inside-amazon-wrestling-big-ideas-in-a-bruising-workplace.html?_r=0
    Bo Olson was one of them. He lasted less than two years in a book marketing role and said that his enduring image was watching people weep in the office, a sight other workers described as well. “You walk out of a conference room and you’ll see a grown man covering his face,” he said. “Nearly every person I worked with, I saw cry at their desk.”

On a side note I first started searching for the original article on Bing and all that came up using several different search combinations were articles about how Amazon disagreed with the piece, google had lots of those too but at least the first search result was the original piece.

• sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

This is an excellent ted talk! Thanks for sharing this @person ! =)

Cooperation is the way! =D

lobsterpersonVastmind