Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Happiness

misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a HinduIndia Veteran
edited February 2016 in General Banter

hi all,

what is that happiness, which is not based on conditions - or - what is that true happiness which is referred to in Therevada teachings? Is true happiness a quality of Bodhichitta - or - is Bodhichitta nothing but true happiness?

please suggest. thanks in advance.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Probably.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

If you defined it, would it any longer be true happiness?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

What do you think it is, @misecmisc1 ...?

Vastmind
  • rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran
    edited February 2016

A man said to the Buddha, “I want Happiness.”
    Buddha said, first remove “I”, that’s ego,
    then remove “want”, that’s desire.
    See now you are left with only Happiness.

Shoshin
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

@misecmisc1 said:
    hi all,

what is that happiness, which is not based on conditions - or - what is that true happiness which is referred to in Therevada teachings? Is true happiness a quality of Bodhichitta - or - is Bodhichitta nothing but true happiness?

I could be wrong but if there could be a happiness that knows no opposition that would be it.

In my view Bodhicitta starts with a desire to help or heal others and blooms in full with the realization of non-separation.

So I'm going to go with yes. I don't think Bodhicitta is a Theravada term but it must fit in somehow.

• JohnMacJohnMac Dr Scotland Veteran

Show me your happiness...Where is it ? Bring me a bag of it....

rohitsilverlobster
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

what is that happiness, which is not based on conditions

From what "I" gather, it is something that is consistent, does not fluctuate, meaning it remains balanced, a level of equanimity, undisturbed goes with the flow so to speak...

Buddhadragonmisecmisc1
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran
    edited February 2016

Happiness can mean different things to different people, but following @Shoshin's line of thought, I would say "equanimity" comes close.
    Not to be swayed off-center by life's ups and downs.
    Changing what we can change, but accepting what we cannot change.
    See both the good and the bad as opportunities for growth.

"To live in the world with your heart undisturbed by the world, with all sorrows ended, dwelling in peace -this is the greatest happiness."
    (Mahamangala Sutta, SN 1)

lobstermisecmisc1
  • @David said:
    In my view Bodhicitta starts with a desire to help or heal others and blooms in full with the realization of non-separation.

So I'm going to go with yes. I don't think Bodhicitta is a Theravada term but it must fit in somehow.

Indeed, well said. <3
    The authentic and genuine motivation and capacity is indeed dependent on realization as you say. A Therevadin would only be able to generate this Boddhisattva ideal authentically, after attending to their own blooming. Otherwise they would be considered prone to delusionary or be sleep walking shadow puppets, playing at Boddhicitta. That does not exclude kindness, compassion or Bodhicitta for others. It merely tightens or narrows the wheel guage. Perfectly valid to use a Mahayana term in a Theravadin context IMO.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@misecmisc1 said:

what is that true happiness which is referred to in Therevada teachings?

Theravada Buddhism, the way to true happiness

Walkerlobster
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited February 2016

what is Bodhichitta?

Bodhichitta would translate to Awakened Mind - so what is this Awakened Mind? is true happiness really happiness or just peace - meaning it would not have the high tone of becoming happy on getting something and it would be just something like a constant tranquil feeling like when you get inside a room, in which AC is on and the temperature maintained is ok so that a constant pleasantness remains in the room till the AC is on.

• pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited February 2016

@misecmisc1 said:
    hi all,

This "happiness" is not the happiness as it is ordinarily understood but is actually ultimate peace. Unfortunately the majority doesn't want this and seeks pleasure. Even seasoned meditators seek pleasure from their meditation rather than the ultimate peace of nibbana. That is freedom from being enslaved by the 6 sense experiences.

True compassion comes after. That is why the Buddha spent 40+ years walking all over the place to make the Dhamma known and even continued to teach on His deathbed!

When this was said, Ven. Udayin said to Ven. Sariputta, "But what is the pleasure here, my friend, where there is nothing felt?"

"Just that is the pleasure here, my friend: where there is nothing felt.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an09/an09.034.than.html

Now at that time Subhadda the Wanderer was staying in Kusinara. He heard, "Tonight, in the last watch of the night, the total Unbinding of Gotama the contemplative will take place." Then the thought occurred to him: "I have heard the elder wanderers, teachers of teachers, saying that only once in a long, long time do Tathagatas — worthy ones, rightly self-awakened — appear in the world. Tonight, in the last watch of the night, the total Unbinding of Gotama the contemplative will occur. Now there is a doubt that has arisen in me, but I have faith that he could teach me the Dhamma in such a way that I might abandon that doubt."

the Blessed One heard the exchange between Ven. Ananda & Subhadda the Wanderer, and so he said to Ven. Ananda, "Enough, Ananda. Don't stand in his way. Let him see the Tathagata. Whatever he asks me will all be for the sake of knowledge, and not to be bothersome. And whatever I answer when asked, he will quickly understand."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.16.5-6.than.html

misecmisc1rohitlobster
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran

what is Bodhichitta?

Bodhichitta would translate to Awakened Mind - so what is this Awakened Mind?

how to achieve Bodhichitta?

• rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran

@misecmisc1 said:
    what is Bodhichitta?

I think we all have bodhichitta but with time we will eliminate our flaws and become pure.

@misecmisc1 said:
    what is Bodhichitta?

If any of us knew, do you think we'd be wasting time on a chat forum...? :lol:

Bunks
  • @federica said:

@misecmisc1 said:
    what is Bodhichitta?

Perhaps, perhaps not. Guess I'll have to let you know when I wake up. (More coffee please) ;)

It is good to be curious.

Peace to all

• @federica said:

@misecmisc1 said:
    what is Bodhichitta?

Yes, we would, in order to tell the others how to do it! =)