Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"Arachnophobes" ... You Have Been Warned !

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3481231/Why-check-shoes-Australia-Man-finds-deadly-funnel-web-spider-inside-son-s-shoe.html

"Funnel webs are one of the most venomous spiders found in Australia"

"The terrifying footage shows the creepy moment a man finds an unwelcome eight-legged visitor inside his son's running shoe after they were left outside over the weekend."

Oh how I miss the creepy crawlies of Australia <3

Bunks

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

When my wife first moved to Australia (from NZ) many years ago she told me she used to check her shoes every time she put them on for the first little while :)

Shoshin
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Just a little while? I think I'd lock them in a safe and still check them, lol. give me big beasts over creepy crawlies any day! I am not one to just go around smacking them, but I give them a wide berth. And we have nothing venomous here in MN. One check in the pro column of a 6 month winter, lol.

ShoshinWalker
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@Bunks said:
    When my wife first moved to Australia (from NZ) many years ago she told me she used to check her shoes every time she put them on for the first little while :)

@Bunks I know where your wife's coming from...Prior to arriving in Oz I was told all about the wonderful creatures that inhabited this fair land...So for the first few months on arrival in Oz I wouldn't walk barefooted on the grass and no way was I gonna leave my shoes outside...However after a while the anxiety left me and I grew to love them....

A poem I wrote for my children when they were small..

"Basic entomology can be interesting and fun
    but finding out how creepy crawlies live is not for everyone!

Some people have a phobia about things that creep and crawl
    but if they took time out to study them, they would have no fear at all !"

~Just more respect~ :)

BunksCinorjer
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    edited March 2016

I have no problem with spiders although I am wary of Redbacks and white tailed spiders as they can actually be harmful. Especially to little kiddies.

We probably found half a dozen of each in the shed in my old house over the few years we were there. My wife kills them but I let them be.

A lot of people fumigate their houses and properties but that's not an option as far as I'm concerned.

Shoshin
    edited March 2016

The Funnel web spider can become even more aggressive( they are an aggressive spider by nature, more aggressive than most other spider species) and prone to attack, especially after their habitat has been disturbed by spray...This came out in research conducted back in the early 1980s in Sydney... Someone I knew back then was bitten by a Funnel web, and survived, the doctors believe he was fortunate in that it was first thing in the morning, after the spider had hunted its prey and it didn't have the full quota of toxic venom in its system...Well that was the theory at the time...

We have the Katipo spider (Kiwi cousin of the Red back) fortunately it is only found in some areas of NZ and within 200 metres from the shoreline...However the Red back has become established in some parts of NZ, shipped over in amongst cars and other things....And thanks alot Oz for the White tail, we have plenty of them and they are all over the place....

Remember the movie "Arachnophobia" well the spiders used in the movie came from here, the Avondale spider, AKA the Australian Huntsman spider, it is believed to have been shipped over with telegraph poles from Oz back in the 1920s and established itself in Avondale Auckland ...Avondale's not a place I'd recommend arachnophobes visit :)

Bunks
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Darwin apparently was caused to question God's existence and Wisdom, upon discovering and studying the behaviour of this wasp.
    How could God, with his infinite compassion and benign control, ever have created such a monstrous "marriage"....? An animal that deliberately preys and ultimately tortures another in such a way, is surely, as far from a beatific creation as anything could be?

lobster
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

My house spiders come out to watch TV sometimes. They particularly like those Swedish crime thrillers, though personally I find the plots rather difficult to follow.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

The spiders don't. See, they have more eyes, and limbs.
    Their vision is better and their grasp of the plot unsurpassed.

lobsterShoshin
  • My house spiders are still asleep. Wait until there is some warm sunshine...

Bunks
  • FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran
    edited March 2016

The most dangerous encounter I've ever had with spiders involved a canoe, three arachnophobic children, and about a hundred tiny spiders, none of them any bigger than a pinhead. I thought we were all going to die.

BunksShoshin

@federica said:
    Darwin apparently was caused to question God's existence and Wisdom, upon discovering and studying the behaviour of this wasp.
    How could God, with his infinite compassion and benign control, ever have created such a monstrous "marriage"....? An animal that deliberately preys and ultimately tortures another in such a way, is surely, as far from a beatific creation as anything could be?

Biological control-checks & balances ...Don't you just love Mother Nature :)