Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Overwhelmed

I wanted to ask you all, when you were starting out, did any of you feel overwhelmed? Lobster said something in one of his posts, I found too really hit home. He mentioned, "the honeymoon period.." and how when we start out we want to try everything. I can relate to that, because being so new, that is EXACTLY, what I am feeling. It is almost overwhelming, which is worrisome for some reason? Maybe it is because in my decision to follow this path, I worry about not doing something in the right order or correctly, or worse yet not doing anything. I suppose one could say merely pondering these changes is a step forward, as the closer it is I am to being mindful of these actions, the more gravity they will start to have on my actions over time. Then there is the distinct possibility, that my worries are well founded.

Sorry if I am babbling, this is just kind of where I am at these past few days. Trying to see how this will all fit together for me.

Thank you for listening. Have a great weekend, All.

Comments

• Yeah feeling overwhelmed is a challenge. So it is what it is and it is not the wrong experience. Whatever is there you work with that. So it's not like you can't start being Buddhist until you solve the problem of being overwhelmed. Rather this is your experience and challenge. For myself when I started practicing Buddhism I was overwhelmed already by life. I had just developed a mental illness and lost my trajectory into a career in science and the emotional fallout was quite overwhelming. Buddhism itself wasn't overwhelming because I took it at my own speed.

lobstermerx
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

I think it is natural that we experience the overwhelmingness of life until we have the techniques to understand and deal with what's going on. Or at least change or re-orient our view completely so that we have a clearer perception of what is happening.

I think there will be benefits no matter how lightly or deeply you step into studying the teachings of the Buddha.

And if I may just post a sutra excerpt, one of my guiding stones in this web of living and connecting and prospering and floating and being...

"Suppose that a man were to drop a salt crystal into a small amount of water in a cup. What do you think? Would the water in the cup become salty because of the salt crystal, and unfit to drink?"

"Yes, lord. Why is that? There being only a small amount of water in the cup, it would become salty because of the salt crystal, and unfit to drink."

"Now suppose that a man were to drop a salt crystal into the River Ganges. What do you think? Would the water in the River Ganges become salty because of the salt crystal, and unfit to drink?"

"No, lord. Why is that? There being a great mass of water in the River Ganges, it would not become salty because of the salt crystal or unfit to drink."

"In the same way, there is the case where a trifling evil deed done by one individual [the first] takes him to hell; and there is the case where the very same sort of trifling deed done by the other individual is experienced in the here & now, and for the most part barely appears for a moment.

from http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an03/an03.099.than.html

Many blessings to you @WMStanford as your understanding of the cosmos and helping within it grow.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran
    edited March 2016

As the guy in the movie, Limitless said, humans have a tendency to overextend themselves. In other words, we often bite off more than we can chew. Same with anything - Buddhism, too. My health and my stamina were (are) not so great these days but I said 'were' because even though I'm at a lower ebb right now, I've learned to be a whole lot more accepting instead of fighting it. I've had my scares recently, but if not for Buddhism, I would be in worse shape. I don't study Buddhism in-depth like a lot of people do - that book I mentioned isn't the only book I read about it, but it's my Bible of sorts because it gives all the basics. You're in the driver's seat, so just sit back and cruise. B)

• Buddhism itself wasn't overwhelming because I took it at my own speed.

Top tip. Good plan. Middle Way. Exactly so.

We are on a path to overcome suffering ... 'Take it easy'

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Put a child in a room with a wealth of new and exciting toys to play with, and they're all wow'ed out! They want to touch every one, try them all, get them all out of their boxes and packaging, and experience the fun of having all these toys for themselves, to play with...but first he wants to play with this one....no....this one...no, hang on, that one looks amazing....oh, hang on - what about THAT one over there....?? and that one - ?! Oh boy, oh, boy, oh boy!!

The kid is crazed by the sheer, overwhelming choice of goodies at his disposal...so he frenetically goes round the room beginning to play with each toy...until..... you walk in a half hour later, and he's sitting down with some stickle-bricks.....

"Don't you like all the other toys?"
    "Yeah, but there's just too much to do all at once, so, I'll play with this one for a while, then I'll maybe move onto that one... and then perhaps, later on, I'll take a look at that one.... How long do I got?"
    "Oh, take all the time you want dear! They're not going anywhere....!"

lobster
  • @federica is right ...
    some might quote, 'you have less time than you think'

BUT and it is a big butt [tee hee] 'truth is about time, place, context and understanding'. You must relax and ensure you do not have a dharma melt down.

... time for a story ... =)

I was working quite near to Chithurst Monastery in Sussex. Being a semi-Buddhist I payed them a visit. Hurrying through the country lanes to be in the midst of the Sangha, ahead of me was a monk, leisurely strolling to what I later found out was his one meal of the day.

I slowed down and watched. I had to slow down considerably as he was taking time to observe hedgerow flowers. His pace made dwaddling into a speed event. I am glad to say I never did catch up and am getting slower ...

• BarahBarah Veteran

WMStanford, pick up a practice which feels ok, and do it for 2 hours straight. Then you will be overwhelmed, but in a different way.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I felt the same, but I found I had to work through it all to find what I needed. It was kind of like gold panning. I started out with a full pan and had to find the nugget at the bottom that worked for me. Just taking a scoop off the top might have worked, it might not. For me, it was worth the time to sift through it all and narrow down to what worked and what I felt connected with. Yes, we always have that "limit" of time, but you can meditate no matter what practice you end up going with. As you explore, make sure you meditate and keep the core of Buddhism in mind. The rest is all details that help you to understand and learn how to practice and live that core foundation. We feel overwhelmed when we have to make a choice and there is more information than we can make a choice with. Just give yourself permission to take your time. You will find some things you connect with, and other things that don't appeal at all.

WMStanford
  • @WMStanford said:
    I wanted to ask you all, when you were starting out, did any of you feel overwhelmed? Lobster said something in one of his posts, I found too really hit home. He mentioned, "the honeymoon period.." and how when we start out we want to try everything. I can relate to that, because being so new, that is EXACTLY, what I am feeling. It is almost overwhelming, which is worrisome for some reason? Maybe it is because in my decision to follow this path, I worry about not doing something in the right order or correctly, or worse yet not doing anything. I suppose one could say merely pondering these changes is a step forward, as the closer it is I am to being mindful of these actions, the more gravity they will start to have on my actions over time. Then there is the distinct possibility, that my worries are well founded.

Sorry if I am babbling, this is just kind of where I am at these past few days. Trying to see how this will all fit together for me.

Don't worry.
    Remember, it is just like when you began to walk or when you first learned to ride a bike or to drive a car. Just relax, dive in, don't sweat it if it isn't perfect, fall, get back up, do it again, repeat as often as necessary (which will be often).
    Enjoy your ride.

In the service, there used to be (probably still is) the joke about the 8 steps to screw in a light bulb. It included equipment needed, approach, extraction, re-approach, installation Steps 1,2 & 3), verification, sign off.
    This is your light bulb installation.

lobster
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    edited March 2016

Babysteps. This isn't difficult. Things like being kind and truthful, not harming anyone are plain, common decency. Mindfulness makes you aware of your actions and how they resonnate within you and with others.
    IMO, you can do all this and slowly acquire the theoretical background to strengthen your own convictions. Try not to get lost in your head. If you do, get back to the eightfold path and 4 noble truths.

lobsterJeroen
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@WMStanford said:

There is no 'right' order @WMStanford .... Chaos is the order of the day :)
    Be patient.... it will all working out in the end...The path will begin to unfold....

lobsterWMStanford
  • Outstanding, overwhelmingly good advice guys [lobster glows with dharma pride].
    I particularly liked @genkaku advice and @Shoshin pic.

Hope we have not overwhelmed our dharma nooby?

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited March 2016

@lobster said:
    Outstanding, overwhelmingly good advice guys [lobster glows with dharma pride].
    I particularly liked @genkaku advice and @Shoshin pic.

Hope we have not overwhelmed our dharma nooby?

Twas nothing special @lobster :) (However...I guess every picture tells a story )

• WMStanfordWMStanford Spring, TX New

Thank you all so very much for all of your words of obvious Wisdom! This weekend was rougher than normal, and I feel down... A LOT! :-) However it was ok, I seemed to catch myself quicker when flying into fits of selfUNawareness, and lack of patience with my kids, and work, and life.. Things seemed to reside a little quicker...So, thank you to all of you. I have a lot of work ahead of me, but I already see very small, yet quantifiable differences!

Hope you all have a great week! I am trying to check in as often as I can...it is always nice to see the new comments. I always know with each new comment, there is learning to be done!

Cheers, my Friends!

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited March 2016

Very good first post ET

Welcome home. B)

Top notch advice for the overwhelmed ... Bravo.

• WMStanfordWMStanford Spring, TX New

And so I shall...

lobster
  • Tara1978Tara1978 UK Veteran

Thank you @EonTrinity, wonderful advice I like it! I too have felt overwhelmed by the teachings I've been given, your list sums up the way to follow the path when starting out. Too many people I know spend time on complicated rituals and practice, yet pay no heed to compassion and mindfulness. For me compassion and kindness is at the heart of the path.

silverlobster
  • EonTrinityEonTrinity Evansville, WI New

Thanks all. Nice to be a member of the community. Be well.

ET

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited March 2016

Guys and Gals, Ladies and gentle folk, Donny Turnip Trump followers and creatures of the hell realms, :p

Do not be overwhelmed. Just recognise integrity. In other words find your place. It may be 'beginner', 'thus have I heard' or 'a funny thing happened to me when I phoned home'.

You may be lost in circumstance/karma :cry:

You may be a screaming loon :scream: (mentioning no names - except lobster :3 ) bored again Christian [note to self: must not be naughty to easter bunnies] however we can all be honest, have integrity and share our being.

It's a plan ... as @genkaku said, 'you're doing fine'.

silver
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    edited March 2016

Good to listen at any time:
    "Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind is a book of teachings by the late Shunryu Suzuki, a compilation of talks given to his satellite Zen center in Los Altos, California. Published in 1970....
    I don't fret over not understanding all of it. As time goes on, things sort themselves out.

lobsterShoshinJeroen