Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mystical humming

EonTrinityEonTrinity Evansville, WI New

Good day all. I am wondering if folks have ever felt a “mystical humming”. I know it sounds a bit cheezy, but I experienced it this weekend, and am wondering if anyone else has experienced it, and what you make of it.

So this weekend, I visited the nearby Deer Park Buddhist Monastery in Oregon Wisconsin and was blessed to listen to an installment of the “Medium Lam Rim“ teaching by Geshe Tenzin Dorjee-la. I am newer to Buddhism, and this was my visit to the monastery. As I understood it, this is a mid-range teaching in difficulty. I am newer to Buddhism spiritually (but not intellectually) , and it the teaching was a little above my head, but I was able to keep up. The discussion was centered in on reality being composed of forms that appear like a reflection appears in a mirror. And he seemed to be saying that “reality” as we see it is really an interdependent form of perception. I think that was what he meant, and if I got it wrong – like I said, it was a little above me. But it was an amazing 2 hours. It was my first time sitting and listening to a Tibetan Monk (not sure if he was a master or even what qualifies one as a master) – but it was a pretty powerful teaching.

ANYWAY… I left the monastery downright buzzing, like I was in sync with everything around me. I went shopping, still humming. Went home and prepared dinner for the family – and buzzed/hummed through it while making my soup. Then I went and sat on the couch… humming, looking around in the sunlight at all of the forms around me, virtual galaxies of forms/labels… completely at peace. And there was this humming and everything felt like it had a glow to it and everything felt “in sync”. It was quite pleasurable, and I was so completely at peace and had simply let go of everything and completely in the mindful moment. It lasted for hours before I slowly shifted back to the more mundane. I didn’t try to cling to the feeling, I just let it gradually dissipate.

I am a pretty pragmatic person, and while I have experienced moments of peaceful repose or calm. This was something noticeably MORE.

What was that?

Has anybody else experienced that?

And before you ask – no drugs were involved! :)

Thanks for the insight.

ET

Comments

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

It sounds like a case of the "Dharma Dopamine Buzz" :)

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@EonTrinity said:
    Good day all. I am wondering if folks have ever felt a “mystical humming”. I know it sounds a bit cheezy, but I experienced it this weekend, and am wondering if anyone else has experienced it, and what you make of it.

So this weekend, I visited the nearby Deer Park Buddhist Monastery in Oregon Wisconsin and was blessed to listen to an installment of the “Medium Lam Rim“ teaching by Geshe Tenzin Dorjee-la. I am newer to Buddhism, and this was my visit to the monastery. As I understood it, this is a mid-range teaching in difficulty. I am newer to Buddhism spiritually (but not intellectually) , and it the teaching was a little above my head, but I was able to keep up. The discussion was centered in on reality being composed of forms that appear like a reflection appears in a mirror. And he seemed to be saying that “reality” as we see it is really an interdependent form of perception. I think that was what he meant, and if I got it wrong – like I said, it was a little above me. But it was an amazing 2 hours. It was my first time sitting and listening to a Tibetan Monk (not sure if he was a master or even what qualifies one as a master) – but it was a pretty powerful teaching.

ANYWAY… I left the monastery downright buzzing, like I was in sync with everything around me. I went shopping, still humming. Went home and prepared dinner for the family – and buzzed/hummed through it while making my soup. Then I went and sat on the couch… humming, looking around in the sunlight at all of the forms around me, virtual galaxies of forms/labels… completely at peace. And there was this humming and everything felt like it had a glow to it and everything felt “in sync”. It was quite pleasurable, and I was so completely at peace and had simply let go of everything and completely in the mindful moment. It lasted for hours before I slowly shifted back to the more mundane. I didn’t try to cling to the feeling, I just let it gradually dissipate.

I am a pretty pragmatic person, and while I have experienced moments of peaceful repose or calm. This was something noticeably MORE.

What was that?

Has anybody else experienced that?

And before you ask – no drugs were involved! :)

Thanks for the insight.

ET

On a more serious note @EonTrinity , it's best not to pay it too much attention, if you do you could end up labelling it "special" ....something to add to desire's (sense of a self) ever increasing list ...It's best just to see it as nothing special just an experience, one of many...with many more different experiences to come....and go....

• DakiniDakini Veteran

Cool! Take it as a sign that you're on the right path. =) Something resonated with you, literally. Carry on.

Shoshinlobstersilver