Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Who Ya Gonna Call ?

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

We often give advice to others on what they could or should do when life throws them a curve ball...But do we always practice what we preach when the curve ball heads our way?

Example :
A crises is imminent ...( you can smell it, it's in the air)
Does ones Dharma practice come to the fore ?
Or does it play second fiddle, as old reactive 'bad' habits kick back it?

How important is it for one to keep up to date (so to speak) with ones Dharma practice ?

In a nutshell....Is prevention better than cure ?

Comments

• when life throws a curve ball switch to playing basketball. =)

seriously for me I guess I just try to adjust to the new situation. be logical and do your best?

ShoshinlobsterKhnha_Kha_Txb
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@Jeffrey said:
    when life throws a curve ball switch to playing basketball. =)

seriously for me I guess I just try to adjust to the new situation. be logical and do your best?

Does your Dharma practice help you to adjust to the new situation @Jeffrey

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2016

Yeah. For example a practice of letting there be more space and wiggle room in a situation. For example if you are in conversation with someone in a new situation you can let there be space in a conversation and explore. And know there is time too. Wiggle room.

Shoshinlobster
  • When life throws one of those curve balls, while I may use a different terminology, when I am "in rhythm" so to speak, it is straight to the "Dharma Practice". If I am "out of rhythm", I may attempt to use my mush-melon, but I still end up utilizing my "Dharma Practice".
    Yes, it does enable me to adjust, to change my relationship with the situation in a (very) positive way.

Peace to all

Shoshin

@pegembara said:

Or should that be :

Kundo
  • Life is a curve ball called dukkha. Don't doubt that.
    Without practice one has no tools, basis, limited resources or even innapropriate resources for example ODing on chocolate [lobster raises guilty claw], alcohol, cat kicking, relying on the 'great plan' of the Flying Speghetthi monster, Mom and Dad, 'woe is me' and wailing etc. Some are more experienced and able to cope.

Me I need all the help available. Prevention is the cure.

ShoshinsilverKundometeorshower01
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

"When am I NOT being thrown a curveball?"

Shoshinlobster
    edited March 2016

@federica said:

When it is no longer all about "you" ..... :)

If there's no one there grasping the bat ready to take a swipe at it, the so called curve ball also disappears, it is after all just an illusion, be it at times a very persistent and convincing one ....

Which reminds me of the Zen/Taoist story of the empty boat drifting on the river :

"If a [wo]man is crossing the river and an empty boat collides with her/his skiff, even though s/he is a bad-tempered [wo]man s/he will not become very angry. But if s/he sees a [wo]man in the other boat s/he will scream and shout and curse at the [wo]man to steer clear. If you can empty your own boat crossing the river of the world, no one will oppose you, no one will seek to harm you. Thus is the perfect [wo]man – her/his boat is empty. ~ Chuang-Tzu"

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Incorrect. It's always about 'you'. It's how you deal with it that matters.

The above story is confusing; first it talks about collision with an empty boat, then it recommends you empty your own.
    Mixed messages, here....

I guess it means "Don't carry unnecessary 'baggage' and deal with obstacles wisely.
    But you are still in the picture.

KundoShoshin
  • If I understand the question, my own practice is to deal with the situation I am in with a clear mind and the knowledge that the world is as it is. Sometimes life throws problems at me that require decisions and actions on my part. How effective I am at doing this sometimes boils down to, have I had my coffee in the morning yet?

Shoshinmeteorshower01
  • FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

The 'curve ball' (and it's cousin the 'spit ball' ) are great ways to expand and deepen one's practice. It's all about reactivity - you get something you don't want and didn't expect and you react. How did this arise? Is the reaction appropriate or inappropriate? What is a mindful way to deal with the situation - or, as more often happens, what would have been a mindful way to deal with it, if only I'd been well grounded at the time? Maybe next time I can do better.

ShoshinlobsterCinorjermeteorshower01
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    edited March 2016

Prevention is always better, and works most of the time if we employ it. My practice definitely makes a difference in how I interact with the world and my decision making process with regards to reaction.

Life is the curveball. Practice is the padded catcher's glove that absorbs and transforms the energy.

That said I have also found it very true that what we teach (or try to teach) to others is often what we most need to learn ourselves. Which is fine as long as we recognize it and don't constantly sit in a state of hypocrisy by telling everyone else they are doing it wrong while all the while doing it wrong ourselves.

Shoshinlobster

@karasti said:

That said I have also found it very true that what we teach (or try to teach) to others is often what we most need to learn ourselves. Which is fine as long as we recognize it and don't constantly sit in a state of hypocrisy by telling everyone else they are doing it wrong while all the while doing it wrong ourselves.

That's very true @karasti, I think that why it's important, for one to practice what one preaches, and to really do this one must have first hand experience (reap what was sown) of the technique/approach one wishes to impart on another...

This is why mentally I'm always referred back to the Kalama Sutta before I give advice...

" "This contemplative is our teacher."When you know for yourselves that, "These qualities are skillful; these qualities are blameless; these qualities are praised by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to welfare & to happiness" "

After all :
    "Hypocrisy is the homage that vice pays to virtue"

~Francois de La Rochefoucauld~ :)

lobster
  • @lobster said:
    Life is a curve ball called dukkha. Don't doubt that.
    Without practice one has no tools, basis, limited resources or even innapropriate resources for example ODing on chocolate [lobster raises guilty claw], alcohol, cat kicking, relying on the 'great plan' of the Flying Speghetthi monster, Mom and Dad, 'woe is me' and wailing etc. Some are more experienced and able to cope.

Me I need all the help available. Prevention is the cure.

@federica said:

That is what makes life so interesting.

We handle the curve balls, the sliders, the screwballs, and the sinkers.
    Don't you just love the diversity (comes at you from all directions)? Yippee!

It is always coming in and that keeps me practicing and 'on my toes'.
    We can whimper or We can roar - I choose to ROAR!

Peace to all

Shoshin
  • meteorshower01meteorshower01 Manila Explorer
    edited April 2016

A Point View

First, to those great individuals who we can most likely say are well adept in being able to share insightful thoughts, comforting words as well as contrasting thoughts that leads to positive things. A warm heart of thanks to all of you, most especially those who share with sincerest intent of helping others. (by this, I don't intend to place other intentions as inferior other than the intended words to do that harm)

Life indeed is a paradox. the same with the saying that, "What may be beautiful to someone may not be to others". " What works for you, may not work to the another", and more of these great words expressing and stating a beautiful and diverse life we all have. The universe, or a God to some as they may call it, indeed is great. Life lessons are learned thru experiences(which personally i believe provides the clearer and a firmer grasp of the experience). These lessons and all are passed down to us in words. Words of wisdom, quotes, story telling are just a few approach in delivering a clear message to make a someone understand and learn these messages. All these with the idea that we may hopefully make the best out of it and make life abundant and livable to all.

Coming from the great sages, holy scriptures, sayings and the likes, many of them can serve us as a guide as to how to live life the best way one can. The word "best" here is not limiting one. Instead, its simply a reference point of what can be possibly done. To some it may mean to live a simple life with their family , others a monastic one, or even a hermetic lifestyle. Others may perceive a great life, where it gives a need in showing how well and great their achievements can be. Once again this shows the diversity and beauty of life itself.

Our decisions in life and purpose deep within, either it be small or big plays a significant factor in all human beings as a whole not only for now but moreover to the future. The question is, how big is the magnitude, and how soon is the effect. A mechanical clock if it looses a small yet vital gear wont run.

So how does all of this relevant to the post above? :-)

It was said, "When in doubt, STOP, LOOK and LISTEN". " When we think we knew it, we dont". "Patience is a virtue". Tolerance, Acceptance, Kindness and Compassion needs to be cultivated together with Awareness.

Then hopefully once fully emerged in it, one would realize that there is no curved ball at all, just a curved mind.

PEACE( hope you guys enjoyed)

ShoshinWalker