Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dharma talk in Chinese

BarahBarah Veteran
edited April 2016 in Buddhism Today

Yesterday, I was listening to a chan teaching which was originally in Chinese. I didn't understand a thing. Just the voice of a monk, with all my preconceived ideas about it. Suddenly I realized that I can fully trust him (probably because I had no way of questioning his Dharma), and I gave up all resistance to it. I was totally open to what he was saying like it was an absolute truth. Something in my being relaxed. Some king of stress, through which I was keeping myself on guard. Emotional baggage was gone. After few minutes translator took over and the message happened to be totally out of my interest. Nothing special I would say, some basics. Nevertheless, this ability to surrender not only remained, but it spread to my whole experience. Depending on the object I am interacting with, this stress arises and fades away, and I can always reflect on it, to check how big it is, and let it go.
I have four hours to play with this "gate" today. I will post an update later on.

BunksmarcitkoShoshinHMS

Comments

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

You made the choice to 'surrender' - and the foreign language aspect is reminiscent of speaking in tongues. Sometimes just the unique sounds - the lilt of foreign tongues is kind of mesmerizing. Sounds good...glad you got something constructive from it.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Perhaps, it's in the vibrations/sounds and not so much what is understood intellectually ....

After all We are but a bundle of vibrating karmic energy flux :)

• Sounds like an April Fool to me =)

• BarahBarah Veteran

@Shoshin said:
    Perhaps, it's in the vibrations/sounds and not so much what is understood intellectually ....

After all We are but a bundle of vibrating karmic energy flux :)

I don't think so, although his voice was calming. I just thought about the heritage of chan and "imagined" he is talking about something intrinsically true. This made me lower my guard, and surrender. Why not, after all.

What I am interested in, is this tension which was removed. There is nothing magical in it, rather something simple and obvious, but often missed.

@lobster said:
    Sounds like an April Fool to me =)

Not at all.

• BarahBarah Veteran

It's very tiresome to even think about it objectively, but since I know how valuable it is, I cannot forgive my self for not sharing it. So, if there is anyone sincerely interested in this Dharma, please let me know.