Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mindfulness while driving & listening to radio

Li2asusanneLi2asusanne N. AZ, near Grand Canyon New

I am very new to this. I just began investigating Buddhist practices over the past month and have been reading "Mindfulness in Plain English" and a few other books that were recommended to me. I have been trying to be mindful in everything I do (which I am finding quite difficult!) and I ran into a problem this morning. While commuting to work (a 40 minute drive) I was listening to an episode of Serial (a radio show) and I could not figure out how to stay present while trying to listen to the show. How does this work?

Comments

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Hiya @Li2asusanne, it's not a science really, so it's flexible. Simply put, you can choose to be mindful of the show you're listening to, or you can turn the radio off and be mindful of the sights and sounds going on around you as you commute. It doesn't matter which way you go, and you could even try both, but as a beginner so to speak, I'd try one at a time to start with.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Our brains have a hard time multitasking at all. As much as we pride ourselves on that ability, multiple studies have shown the brain can only truly focus on one thing at a time. That's why distracted driving accidents are so common (not saying you were distracted). Was it the nature of the radio show you had a problem with? Or the nature of trying to listen to the show and drive at the same time? driving itself already requires an immense amount of "multitasking" so our senses are constantly switching gears to take in sights and sounds of so much around us. So it's a lot to ask the brain to do even more on top of it.

Being mindful really is about just doing whatever it is you are doing and not being elsewhere. When you are driving, your priority will pretty much always be driving. Everything else is secondary and runs in the background. There's nothing wrong with having the radio on, of course. For me, I find it works better to just drive. On long drives, sometimes I put music on but I prefer just to observe the world around me more. It allows me time to observe how I think and feel about situations, including driving, where I live, where I am going, my job, whatever. Often times, for me, things like music or "background noise" are just distractions away from what I am really doing. Like I used to put on music when I cleaned or when I ran, to distract myself from the "boringness" or discomfort of those activities. But those activities became more meaningful when I simply accepted them and did not try to distract myself from them. Same with driving, I have found.

Also, (sorry for the double post) mindfulness is a lot related to meditation for me. Both support each other quite well. More meditation increases my mindfulness through the day. When doing simple meditation, when my mind wanders, I return to focus on my breath. When I am doing activities, it is the same. When I am driving and my mind wanders to a dozen things, I just bring the attention back to driving. Over and over again.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

In my opinion - and it's a poor one so take it as you wish - you cannot be Mindful AND lisiten to the radio.
    To be Mindful, is to focus and pay attention to the moment.

If you are focusing and paying attention to the moment at a radio programme, it means that one of your senses - the audial one - is focused on one task, while you are seeking to focus the remaining vital ones on driving.

It's a well-known fact that using a mobile 'phone while driving - even a hands-off one - will distract a motorist to a potentially dangerous level.
    In the UK, it's illegal. The penalty is heavy.

Perssonally, I would play soothing music and be mindful of driving.

But that's just me....

• Li2asusanneLi2asusanne N. AZ, near Grand Canyon New

In my experience this morning, my attention was completely with the radio show, which was very interesting. Is it a form of mindfulness to be so absorbed by a show (or for that matter, a movie or an album)?

Now that I am thinking about it more, I realize that I listen to the radio on this particular commute because I have been doing the same drive for so many years that it is completely boring to me. I suppose I listen to the radio to relieve that "suffering."

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2016

"How does it work"? Good heavens, OP. It works by giving all your attention to your driving! You don't listen to the radio, if it's that distracting. Being mindful means doing one thing at a time, not multi-tasking or distracting yourself with, er... distractions. If I listen to the radio while driving, I put on classical music, because I don't find it distracting, unless something really exquisite comes on. But I'm not a very good driver, so I have to put all my attention to driving, which I find to be excellent mindfulness practice. If I find my mind wandering, I bring it back to focusing on the road, the other drivers, etc. I've always regarded driving as having a clear "Zen" quality about it, for that reason. There are safety issues involved, for heaven's sake, and lack of mindfulness can end up not only affecting you, but other people, not to mention--the court system, your bank account, your insurance premiums, etc.

edited April 2016

The reason I opted to mostly turn off music/radio when I drove was because too often, I'd find myself missing moments in time. I'd leave home, and arrive at my destination without even realizing I had driven. I was so zoned out on my thoughts or programs. Or, I'd be on autopilot and though i intended to go to the grocery store, I'd find myself sitting at my kid's school because that is my most frequent destination. it was the exact mindlessness of those results that made me change the way I did things. I don't ever like to run on autopilot.

It's not necessarily bad to be focused on a program or a speaker or a song. But while driving might not be the best point to do it. the way I look at it is, whatever I'm doing in that moment should be the most important thing I am doing. Changing the focus to that makes a big difference, and if I should be doing something more important then it allows me to recognize that right away. Whatever I am doing, whoever I am talking to, deserves my 100% focus and attention. The desire to distract and not focus on those parts of life is just another way of convincing ourselves of things we don't want to look at. Sometimes when we investigate those discomforts, we find we need to make changes in our lives. Recognizing we are uncomfortable, bored, suffering is a big thing. Boredom is nothing more than wishing we were doing something other than what we are. But that's not possible, so it is pointless.

Karasti, that makes perfect sense. I am guilty of the autopilot thing, too. I appreciate your explanation - it really helped me to get the idea. Such a simple philosophy, yet I am finding many times it is so difficult to put into practice.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Aaah. There's that word again....

"Simple".

So many people make the 'mistake' of thinking 'Simple' means 'easy'.

It IS simple, you're right.
    But easy?

Nope, it sure ain't!! :lol:

BunksRuddyDuck9
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2016

Mindfulness isn't a score board where eventually you will get good enough to be wonderful. When you are being mindful of your environment rather than thoughts and you slip from that just return to the present. And the present could be that you are having thoughts.. Slipping away isn't the fly in the ointment rather it is just the nature of our minds to slip away. It is similar to being at home and not sure what you want to do with your time. There is no focus and then something comes to you that you want to do. Without the loss of focus our minds wouldn't work as effectively in finding a new idea.

lobsterkarasti
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

It is as simple as you make it out to be. It's not rocket science to pay attention to the things we used to do as younger people. It's remembering and recalling how life was and being clearer-headed in our early years.

Fosdick
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

When you are doing two things, there is always going to be one that is primary and the other going on in the background, which implies a split awareness. When I have done mindfulness it was usually about something simple, like the breath or mindful observation of an object. More advanced practitioners do things such as mindful walking, which is a complex activity with many of moving parts, and many find it quite tricky to start with, or so I understand :)

So I am not surprised that trying mindful driving combined with mindful radio listening is difficult for a beginning practitioner. But doing this because you are bored is almost an anti-mindfulness technique, you are spreading attention out across multiple sources rather than focussing it deeply on one activity.

RuddyDuck9
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Being mindful whilst driving is simple...just "Keep your eyes on the road and hands upon the wheel" that's all one has to do.....

silver
  • DakiniDakini Veteran

@Kerome Yes, exactly; it's anti-mindfulness. If you're supposed to be driving, drive. Give it your full attention.

I couldn't quote your full 2nd paragraph (I'm having issues with the quote function), but--very well said. :)

lobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

On the subject of anti-mindfulness, I came across this and it made me laugh ;)

Huike said to Bodhidharma, “My mind is anxious. Please pacify it.”
    Bodhidharma replied, “Bring me your mind, and I will pacify it.”
    Huike said, “Although I’ve sought it, I cannot find it.”
    “There,” Bodhidharma replied, “I have pacified your mind.”

• I am preparing a Q & A for my sister, not ready yet but may be helpful ...

Q: What is mindfulness?
    A: For many this is being in the moment. Focus and attention on ones activity.

Q: Is mindfulness the opposite of escapism?
    A: Yes.
    It is the opposite of mindless activity.

Q: Is mindfulness a type of meditation?
    Mindfulness can be preparatory for more formal meditations such as walking or sitting methods.

Q: Is mindfulness religion free?
    A: Can be.
    Mindfulness is a pragmatic positive psychology technique similar to finding and being in the zone. The religiously inclined may find it similar to 'remembering' (Abrahamic religions), in Taoism 'going with the flow' and so on.

Q: Is it connected with Zen or Buddhism?
    A: It is used by ninjas. ;)

Q: Is it suitable for beginners or advanced practitioners of Dharma?
    It is being attentive to the moment. Suitable for beginners training to focus. It is also ideally, in a sense, a state without object and viewer. Mindfulness therefore is considered the ideal state or Nirvana.

Q: What can we be mindful of?
    A: Ideally everything. Buddhist monastics may walk and eat, wash up and clean mindfully. Simple repetitive single tasking is the way.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sati_(Buddhism)

ShoshinWalkerRuddyDuck9
  • Trent26Trent26 USA New

I completely agree that you should be focussed and fully attentive while driving. Even a minute distraction can prove fatal. I have worked with a Los Angeles DUI lawyer for couple of years and have seen all these things very closely.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

True story. I knew a guy in London years ago, he was driving his car and listening to a recorded talk on mindfulness. He got so engrossed in the talk that he drove into the back of a parked car. Fortunately it was a low speed collision and it was just his pride that was hurt. After a while he saw the funny side of it too. :p

BunksShoshinRuddyDuck9
  • Steve_BSteve_B Veteran

There are too many aggressive arrogant drivers. They appear to be fully mindful of driving. They should be required to listen to music and be less mindful of driving. Some marijuana might also help.

Shoshin

Moderator Note
    Disclaimer: This website does NOT advocate the use of any drugs whatsoever, unless they are medically prescribed and of necessity to the user.

Thank you.

• Will_BakerWill_Baker Vermont Veteran

@Li2asusanne said:
    I am very new to this. I just began investigating Buddhist practices over the past month and have been reading "Mindfulness in Plain English" and a few other books that were recommended to me. I have been trying to be mindful in everything I do (which I am finding quite difficult!) and I ran into a problem this morning. While commuting to work (a 40 minute drive) I was listening to an episode of Serial (a radio show) and I could not figure out how to stay present while trying to listen to the show. How does this work?

-Turn off the radio...

RuddyDuck9
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

And turn off mobile phones. Please.

RuddyDuck9
  • DakiniDakini Veteran

OP, it's not possible to be fully mindful of driving while listening to a talk show. The reason you're having trouble is that you're engaged in two tasks at once. That, right there, is a set-up to derail mindfulness. You need to decide which activity is more important, and focus fully on that.

That said, I find that having music going in the background actually helps me focus on my driving. That may sound counter-intuitive, but it works for me. However, if I have a good talk-show on, and am following the discussion, naturally I'll be somewhat distracted from my driving. As someone who got a driver's license late in life, I'm ever-conscious of my need to stay focused on the principal task at hand. Actually, I find that driving offers VERY good mindfulness practice! If I notice my mind wandering, I bring it right back to watching the road, just as we're supposed to do in meditation: bring the focus back to the breath.

RuddyDuck9

I think the road rage drivers are not so much focused on mindful driving but rather being upset at what everyone else is doing rather than themselves. When I get mad when I'm driving, it has nothing to do with my being a mindful driver. It's being obsessed and upset with the fact that people aren't doing it the way I think they should. All about me. Not them. Definitely not mindful.

RuddyDuck9
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Take a bus or taxi :)

edited July 2016

I actually find when encountering Road Rage that it's more about 32 square inches of rubber, and where they are. And Most Road Ragers simply want their 32 Sq ins to be in front of YOUR 32 sq. ins... And they don't care how they put them there, but if they fail to achieve this manoeuvre, they really get quite peeved....

I thankfully have learned to manage my driving frustration well, for the most part. It's pretty rare that I get mad, and when I do it's not because I want to be ahead of them but because they are actually causing a hazard by their driving. Like yesterday when I was on the highway driving 60 and a VW bug pulled out in front of me. I was in plain view, there was no one else coming. I don't know if she didn't see me or what, but I had to hit the brakes so hard I left marks on the road. It was completely unsafe and she's lucky I was not driving as fast as most drive through that spot. My biggest life pet peeve (that I am constantly working on) is when people are oblivious to how their actions affect those around them. Inconsiderate people drive me insane. Sometimes, you just don't see something. It happens. Either way, it's my issue to deal with, since I can't do anything about them, lol.

We live in a very small area, public transportation isn't an option. We don't have taxis or buses. We live 4 miles outside of a town that has 3500 people. But while our area roads are built for our population, our population explodes in the summer and it gets absolutely crazy because our roads are not meant to manage that many people. For this holiday weekend, our area population many times what it usually is. I do get frustrated. Our roads are one lane each way and spots to pass are few. Plus you can't pass 16 RVs towing boats, so you are just stuck behind them while they drive 15mph under the limit. I don't know how people deal with traffic all the time, I could never do it!