Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What next?

Each person has a next step, except those advanced non-souls whose every step is the right direction.
For me it is a step into the unknown.

Apart from death, nirvana and other obvious directions, what is next?

person

Comments

• SwaroopSwaroop India Veteran

There is no next step. There is only here and now.

lobster
  • @Swaroop said:
    There is no next step. There is only here and now.

=)
    Yes I think I read that as a prize winning answer on a New Agey competition to find 'wisdom to impress'.

Are you in the here and now? Good. Nowhere to go? Enlightened?
    No?

ahhhh ... B)

What is next?

Swaroop
    edited April 2016

I'm good as I am. Thanks =)

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited April 2016

What next ?

...Expect the unexpected...the unexpected is always a nice surprise, when not expecting it .... :wink:

@Swaroop said:
    I'm good as I am. Thanks =)

Or it may just be the Prozac talking >:)

Shoshin
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited April 2016

For me, it is a journey deeper into Buddhist thinking. It feels right.

For other people, maybe it is a step into the wider world, away from the shelter. Or a connection to the socially engaged stream. Or a commitment to the natural world and its preservation. Or maybe you are exactly where you need to be, and are just waiting for the experience to ripen.

personsilverJeffrey
  • @Kerome said:

That sounds good.
    Familiarisation with often quite nuanced teachings is important.

For me any spiritual path changes us. Dharma ideally does not change general purpose ignorance for smart-ass antics and pseudo wisdom. It is genuine at entering at the core of the human experience, its difficulties and the way to improve our lot.

We have to be confident that the Middle Way works and that as you say is delving deeper.

Good plan. Bravo.

@lobster said:

@Kerome said:

That sounds good.
    Familiarisation with often quite nuanced teachings is important.

For me any spiritual path changes us. Dharma ideally does not change general purpose ignorance for smart-ass antics and pseudo wisdom. It is genuine at entering at the core of the human experience, its difficulties and the way to improve our lot.

We have to be confident that the Middle Way works and that as you say is delving deeper.

Good plan. Bravo.

Wow. And I thought you are just a bottom dwelling slime eating overgrown insect.

silver
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited April 2016

@lobster said:
    Each person has a next step, except those advanced non-souls whose every step is the right direction.
    For me it is a step into the unknown.

Apart from death, nirvana and other obvious directions, what is next?

Perhaps a contemplation of why something else is needed? I think that's a good question!

Shoshin
  • I wish I knew. Whatever the next step might be, it'll start with changes in my life and opportunities opening up. But heck, I'm still growing into the role I'm in now. What does living the Dharma mean to a widower living alone who is not quite old enough to retire but too old to hang out with the younger crowd? Beats me, but I'm doing it.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Mat. Cushion. Coffee. Hill running. After that, who knows! I think I will spend a lot of the day basking in the sunshine. It's been a while since the clouds cleared.

@Cinorjer don't assume you are too old to hang with the younger crowd. You'd probably be an inspiration to them. I'm 40, but 2 of my favorite people to spend spare time with are in their 70s. Full of wisdom and the patience to go along with all my questions!

Cinorjerlobster
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

I may have to merge these and uh, hope for luck:

• robotrobot Veteran

Keep fishing till all the money's gone.

lobster
  • @lobster. As I see progression there are three possible steps. Relax the bonds to become more comfortable. Break the chains to have freedom of movement. Stand up and walk out of the place of bondage.

• NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited April 2016

@grackle I like your last point, "stand up and walk out of the place of bondage"..., do this also include in marriage? :P

• robotrobot Veteran

@Namada said:
    @grackle I like your last point, "stand up and walk out of the place of bondage"..., do this also include in marriage? :P

Marriage was bondage for me but it didn't have to be.

• upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited April 2016

if one is 'here and now (at the present moment)' there is no next, no 'I", no 'you', no 'It', no 'they', no 'something', no 'anything', none but 'Knowing'

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

What's next? Funny you should ask. Only yesterday I saw through two long cherished illusions and tweezed those little maggots out of the pile. Next they must be examined, their manifestations understood, and one by one, removed. Plenty of work there, I think.

Cinorjerlobster
  • @grackle said:
    @lobster. As I see progression there are three possible steps. Relax the bonds to become more comfortable. Break the chains to have freedom of movement. Stand up and walk out of the place of bondage.

Very good. <3
    That is a good argument for widening the cage, put much better as 'relaxing the bonds'. For me too creating a 'breathing point' or focus on 'relaxing the bonds' is one of the reasons for formal practice/effort.
    Breaking the bonds or constraints and walking out is something @Fosdick mentions ...

@Fosdick said:
    What's next? Funny you should ask. Only yesterday I saw through two long cherished illusions and tweezed those little maggots out of the pile. Next they must be examined, their manifestations understood, and one by one, removed. Plenty of work there, I think.

Plenty of work indeed.

@upekka said:
    if one is 'here and now (at the present moment)' there is no next, no 'I", no 'you', no 'It', no 'they', no 'something', no 'anything', none but 'Knowing'

Quite right when said from experience or Knowing ... and therefore well said ;)
    The 'Knowing' in my experience, allows the unfolding of each step as it arises. ...

Thanks guys.