Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

New Buddhist

Hey, I've just reccently become a Buddhist (I was previously a Catholic and Confermed). I've looked a lot into it and have decided to become a Theravader Buddhist. I was wondering, however, if there is anything I can do to start putting things into practise or anything I need to change from my lifestyle.

I plan to start meditating but I need to balance that out with my exams, any advice for this or anything in general?

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited April 2016

Hello :)

If your lifestyle needs changing, attend to that would be my advice.

When do you plan to start meditating? For how long? What method?

Are you interested in seated awareness on breath or walking meditation?

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Welcome @DrasticChange -- Hope you find something useful here. No drastic changes required. :)

Buddhism is based more in experience than in belief. Still, for starters, you might want to touch base with belief supports, i.e. reading books, going to meetings, etc. Just follow your own honest interests. There's no rush: Where else could you possibly be if not here?

Here's a reasonable outline of meditation (with pictures) from a Zen Buddhist point of view. There are differences between Theravada and Zen, but the mechanics of meditation are pretty much the same.

Good luck with your exams.

DrasticChangelobsterTara1978
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I would suggest getting some books and starting a gentle course of study of the buddha's teaching. Often meditation practice is supported by knowledge of the path, and I have certainly found it very helpful.

• DakiniDakini Veteran

You can meditate for 10 minutes/day in the beginning. It doesn't sound like much, but believe me, you'll find it challenging to quiet the mind for 10 minutes. Time slows down, and each minute suddenly becomes an eternity. Observe the workings of your mind. Report back. :chuffed:

As far as putting anything into practice goes, observe your interactions with others. Are you respectful and kind? Or do you sometimes get impatient and critical? If the latter comes up, do something about it.

Those two things will be enough to keep you busy for awhile. =)

DrasticChange
  • Okay, thanks to all of you, I don't know how to comment back individually but I will take all of the advice offered and get some books, meditate and such. Towards other people I am usually patient and understanding.

I want to look into loving-kindness meditation and opening/unlocking/balancing my Chakras

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2016

@DrasticChange said:
    I want to look into loving-kindness meditation and opening/unlocking/balancing my Chakras

That's not part of Theravada practice. It's more of a Hindu thing, though some of it historically worked its way into Tibetan Buddhism. You could look around for workshops that do that, or take a course in Kundalini Yoga.

• SwaroopSwaroop India Veteran
    edited April 2016

@DrasticChange you need not become a member of any sect to practise Buddha's teachings. Practice meditation. Take your own time. There is no hurry.

• Kale4DayzKale4Dayz California Explorer

Hi there. Pretty much what everyone else has said... as for balancing meditation with exams, I would use your study breaks to sit at your desk and meditate for a bit. Or if you arrive to class early, try using those extra 5-10 minutes to close your eyes, rest your mind, and notice your breathing and the sounds around you. This is what I do in school. (It might feel weird at first, but people generally assume you're sleeping and leave you alone.)

Those simple, mini-meditation sessions might seem like nothing, but in the long run, you'll find you become more alert and refreshed compared to your stressed out classmates. Good luck!

• Thanks again, all of you for the advice, it's really helping me :)

• @DrasticChange said:
    I want to look into loving-kindness meditation

Plenty of resources and guides available :)
    http://opcoa.st/01yDc

IchLiebte