Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Kids and Buddhism

EonTrinityEonTrinity Evansville, WI New

Been talking to my 8 year old son off to the side about Buddhism and answering any questions that he has. Honestly, i thought that he was not paying that much attention. Then the other night I was out at dinner with 10 other family members and my sister was on a rant about all of the things bothering her at the moment and suddenly out of the blue, my son blurts out:

"Auntie Jen, you are hallucinating. You gotta stop listening to that monkey mind."

And he promptly returned to his tablet. The whole table was silent and then my wife and I burst into laughter and had to explain to the whole family what "monkey mind" is.

Has anyone else watched their kids blurt out any keen wisdom out of the blue?

ET

lobsterBunksmarcitkopersonWill_BakerShoshinsilverFosdickyagrCinorjerRuddyDuck9

Comments

• DakiniDakini Veteran

8 can be a ripe age to absorb new knowledge, depending on the kid. Your boy is lucky to be able to learn about Buddhism from you at that age! Don't underestimate the intellectual capacity of kids. They can surprise you.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@EonTrinity , you might like to see this thread too.

• @EonTrinity said:
    Been talking to my 8 year old son off to the side about Buddhism and answering any questions that he has. Honestly, i thought that he was not paying that much attention. Then the other night I was out at dinner with 10 other family members and my sister was on a rant about all of the things bothering her at the moment and suddenly out of the blue, my son blurts out:

"Auntie Jen, you are hallucinating. You gotta stop listening to that monkey mind."

And he promptly returned to his tablet. The whole table was silent and then my wife and I burst into laughter and had to explain to the whole family what "monkey mind" is.

Has anyone else watched their kids blurt out any keen wisdom out of the blue?

ET

You betcha! =)

• gracklegrackle Veteran

@Bunks. What a wonderful happening. Not really so strange though. It is as one of the old teachers used to say. The lotus of true practice reveals itself in a myriad of ways.

Bunks
  • Sometimes it seems that children have a wisdom which for us is crusted over by age.
    As we release them in an "open field", watch to keep the predators at bay, and let them be themselves, we will marvel at how much they teach us every day.

Peace to all

Bunks
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

My daughter has been a well of insight for me like this for all her life. Is she psychic, enlightened, a higher spiritual being? Who knows. I DO know that she is the best teacher the Universe has provided me with. Very glad you have one too :smile:

_ /\ _

yagr