Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

kamma/karma

there are four types of kamma:
black kamma
white kamma
black and white kamma
neither black nor white kamma

can you give example for each

thanks in advance

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Could you source the above please?

Thanks in advance.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited April 2016

"Dark (evil) kamma does not give a bright (happy) result, nor does bright (beneficial) kamma lead to dark (miserable) result. Kamma can be mixed, where an action is done with a variety of motives, some good, some evil. And that kind of kamma also exists which gives up attachment to and interest in the other three and so leads beyond the range of kamma."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/nanamoli/wheel248.html

Here's my rough take on it...
    Karma flows through one's thoughts words and deeds....
    The first two are covered in the twin verses, ie, it's black or white no shades of grey...The third, relates to what lies behind one's intention, ie, wholesome action with an unwholesome mind, expecting something in return, etc etc and the forth one is when ones has the eight fold path down pat, one goes with the karmic flow :)

upekkaJeroen
  • @upekka said:
    there are four types of kamma:
    black kamma - killing, lying, stealing
    white kamma - giving aid, support, counsel, dhamma talk
    black and white kamma - lying or killing to save lives
    neither black nor white kamma - shifting home or jobs

can you give example for each

thanks in advance

• upekkaupekka Veteran

@Shoshin said:
    the forth one is when ones has the eight fold path

that is what i thought too

@pegembara said:

shifting home has intention
    shifting job has intention

so can not be neither black nor white kamma

• pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited April 2016

@upekka said:

@Shoshin said:

@pegembara said:

@upekka said:

@Shoshin said:

@pegembara said:

This is called kamma that is (neither)black and white with (neither)black and white result.

It is kamma(intention) which is neither black(bad) or white(good). Unless it is qualified by adding "leading to the end of kamma" which is of course the noble 8FP.

• upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited April 2016

@pegembara said:

This is called kamma that is (neither)black and white with (neither)black and white result.

It is kamma(intention) which is neither black(bad) or white(good). Unless it is qualified by adding "leading to the end of kamma" which is of course the noble 8FP.

i find it is confusing, my appologies

could you please elaborate your answer

• pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited April 2016

@upekka said:

@pegembara said:

i find it is confusing, my appologies

could you please elaborate your answer

That intention can be good, bad or neither is self evident to anyone who cares to observe his/her own intentions. Unless one accepts that all intentions are good, bad or mixed but never neutral except for the noble 8FP.

The sutta states-

"And what is kamma that is neither dark nor bright with neither dark nor bright result, leading to the ending of kamma? Right view, right resolve, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, right concentration. This is called kamma that is neither dark nor bright with neither dark nor bright result, leading to the ending of kamma.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an04/an04.235.than.html

Neither dark nor bright kamma has to be qualified by stating leading to the ending of kamma to consider as noble 8FP.

My apology if I cannot make this any clearer.

upekka
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited April 2016

For those Theravadin street walkers stream entrants, positive behaviour steeped in differentiated karma/kamma is the norm.

For those of us still swimming against the current:

good karma: doing good to the best of ones attention and intention (aim for this)
    bad karma: being naughty
    pragmatic karma: being naughty with good intentions
    neutral karma: snoozzzing along ...

JeffreyFosdick