Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Self Realization

shanyinshanyin Novice YoginSault Ontario Veteran

Can someone explain self-realization?

According to google is is this: Self-realization is an expression used in psychology, spirituality, and Eastern religions. It is defined as the "fulfillment by oneself of the possibilities of one's character or personality."

Is that what Ramana Maharshi was all about? Is anyone here self realized?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

One: Nice definition.

Two: Haven't a clue. He died a while ago, but his Wiki-page is pretty comprehensive.
    He was of course, Hindu, not Buddhist, so he had a belief in God which most Buddhists are unaccustomed to considering.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

You've just asked a question about breathing techniques in Meditation.

Don't get too far ahead of yourself. This self-realization concept is immensely simple in theory, but is actually pretty 'advanced practitioner' stuff to get a grip on.

Don't over-complicate your life by trying to incorporate something this convoluted into it.

CinorjerpersonhowRuddyDuck9
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran

OK thank you.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@shanyin said:
    Can someone explain self-realization?

Enlightenment is the end game of Buddhism. I prefer the term 'awakening'
    Bodhi (Sanskrit, Pāli), from the verbal root budd, "to awaken", "to understand", means literally "to have woken up and understood".
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enlightenment_in_Buddhism

It is defined as the "fulfillment by oneself of the possibilities of one's character or personality."

Ay caramba! Sounds awful, especially considering my character and lacking personality. Heaven and Buddha save us ... OM MANI PEME HUM

Cinorjerperson
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited May 2016

Self-realization is the (realization, understanding, attainment) of one's true (potential, nature, self). It is the goal, such as it were, of all spiritual journeys. It's a term used to describe something because everything has to have a name, even if we can't agree on what it is we're naming or how to get there or what happens after that.

Self-realization for a Christian, for instance, is to understand you're a sinner like everyone else and saved only through the grace of Christ and accept him as your savior. Self-realization for a Zen Buddhist is to penetrate the emptiness of the self and the suchness of life. There are a thousand paths out there, maybe even as many as there are seekers, and each has their own definition of what self-realization means. So to ask for such a thing is pretty darn near impossible.

How can so many different spiritual paths end up at the same place? Because one way or another, the valid paths ask you to let go of your cherished beliefs on what you should be or want to be or are taught must be, and just be. I said valid, because there are fake paths leading to traps and pitfalls. Anyway, that's the best I can explain it to you. Hope it helped.

shanyinlobsterVastmind
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    1. I wouldn't like to get into a pissing contest about it, but I think there is probably a different meaning to "self-realization" from a psychological and spiritual points of view. In psychology, getting down to the nitty-gritty of personality rates kudos.

2. But what does "self-realization" rate if it turns out that the "self" is just a fantasy ... a smoke and mirrors dream? If there is no dream, what happens when it "comes true?" Alternatively, if there is no dream, what happens when it "doesn't come true?"

All of this is great for beer-drinking discussion, but the down side is that it eats up time that might better be spent in practice. Beer drinking and BS is a lot less scary than practice, but you know what I mean ... :)

personRuddyDuck9
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

Uploaded on Jun 25, 2011
    Mooji is asked about his experience concerning his own Self-realization. "Let all the rivers flow like they do; all of them will come to this ocean... you cannot escape this recognition." (Mooji) http://www.mooji.org

Uploaded on May 2, 2011
    "Yes, the seeing is instant, the recognition can be instant, but it will take some time to stabilize the mind into the heart completely... almost you never come to the end of the possibilities of consciousness; yet, at the same time, you are aware that you are THAT which is beyond transformation ." (Mooji) http://www.mooji.org

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@Cinorjer said:
    I said valid, because there are fake paths leading to traps and pitfalls.

As others have pointed out, a healthy ego is helpful BUT very little to do with spiritual/Buddhist awakening.

There are teachers like Mooji who talk about their personal awakening. Ideally a teacher is awake, otherwise they are armchair path walkers, no matter how dedicated.

Clearly charlatans attract huge benefits (power, easy pickings, prestige, sheeple followers etc). The results speak for themself.

I feel it is quite reasonable to work from a psychological but limited model if required and not jump beyond ones needs. Mental stability is not optional.

We hopefully are on a real path, not a fantasy escape into an alternative to genuine requirements ...

Cinorjer
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Your post reminds me, @lobster, about my main question always wriggling around in the back of my dark mind is who and how does anyone know who's the fake and who's the real deal when it comes to 'gurus' and such?

• @silver said:
    Your post reminds me, @lobster, about my main question always wriggling around in the back of my dark mind is who and how does anyone know who's the fake and who's the real deal when it comes to 'gurus' and such?

I think such persons would show no trace of greed or anger in them.

"And how is there the teacher's undoing? There is the case where a certain teacher[4] resorts to a secluded dwelling: a wilderness, the shade of a tree, a mountain, a glen, a hillside cave, a charnel ground, a forest grove, the open air, a heap of straw. While he is living thus secluded, brahmans & householders from town & countryside visit him. When they visit him, he gets smitten with things that infatuate, falls into greed, and reverts to luxury. This is called a teacher undone with a teacher's undoing. He has been struck down by evil, unskillful qualities that defile, that lead to further becoming, are troublesome, ripen in pain, and lead to future birth, aging, & death. Such is the teacher's undoing.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.122.than.html

silverJeroenRuddyDuck9
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Certain infamous gurus that are quite popular - even after death - who have angry personalities and makes me wonder.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@pegembara said:

@silver said:

"And how is there the teacher's undoing? There is the case where a certain teacher[4] resorts to a secluded dwelling: a wilderness, the shade of a tree, a mountain, a glen, a hillside cave, a charnel ground, a forest grove, the open air, a heap of straw. While he is living thus secluded, brahmans & householders from town & countryside visit him. When they visit him, he gets smitten with things that infatuate, falls into greed, and reverts to luxury. This is called a teacher undone with a teacher's undoing. He has been struck down by evil, unskillful qualities that defile, that lead to further becoming, are troublesome, ripen in pain, and lead to future birth, aging, & death. Such is the teacher's undoing.

It is interesting. I can imagine a teacher could have luxury without greed, for example if you don't go shopping or request things but just let it come to you. But it would be a pleasuring of the senses which would lead to sensual desire.

To what extent can one celebrate the beauty of the world, and appreciate it, without falling prey to the effects of sensual desire? Even something like a nature documentary on the Great Barrier Reef is a pleasure to one's sense of sight, in the colours, the movements, and more subtly in the mind, the appreciation of diversity.

• I wake up each moment and methinks..."Oh here I am.".... that is, when I remember to wake up that it is I.

Or, is it "Here I am...hummm...it must be me"

Or, I and I...we's da same

However, I do realize I am myself...and it's hard to convince others that I am somebody different...but its still quite easy to convince myself that I am someone other than who I am.

I am bafaack....god I crack myself up...lol

Obviously....

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@silver said:

One of my teachers was a street light. There are no 'false' street lights, when ready and prepared to listen, in other words when we are a genuine student, we can learn.

When we develop equinimity and discernment we are not bedazzled by platitudes, cliches, acting the part gnus, gurus and grrrs. In other words we look behind the mask from our own genuine attitude. This means we can learn from good people, frauds, cats, children, situations and most importantly our own falsity.

Each person on this forum has the capacity to be learned from. Does that make them a guru or us a potential student ...

... as usual multiple choice available ...

CinorjersilverRuddyDuck9
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

@Kerome said:

@pegembara said:

@silver said:

It is interesting. I can imagine a teacher could have luxury without greed, for example if you don't go shopping or request things but just let it come to you. But it would be a pleasuring of the senses which would lead to sensual desire.

To what extent can one celebrate the beauty of the world, and appreciate it, without falling prey to the effects of sensual desire? Even something like a nature documentary on the Great Barrier Reef is a pleasure to one's sense of sight, in the colours, the movements, and more subtly in the mind, the appreciation of diversity.

I think we just have to know we can go on with its passing. Because we are all temporary, I am better able to appreciate rather than take for granted.