Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist Tiger Temple finally shut down.

Posting this as an update without much comment because we've discussed this Thailand temple in the past. To me, it sounds like something that started off as a compassionate attempt to actually help the local tiger population was hijacked as more and more money got involved and the tourists started flocking to the place. It happens, even to Buddhists.

The authorities finally got a court order allowing them access and they found out, no surprise, some of the monks really were selling tiger parts on the black market. I guess the temptation was just too great and too much money could be made. But it's closed down now.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/06/thai-tiger-temple-monk-caught-fleeing-with-skins-and-fangs/

lobsterpersonVastmindmmo

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Ah ha! Mara Lucifers pet hell cats will be dining on roast monk parts. They will be pleased. Yum.

Every little helps. >:)

CinorjerSwaroopkarastimmo
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

They are transferring them to nearby breeding centers? does that mean something different in Asian culture versus here? Because that doesn't sound much more pleasant than what they were experiencing otherwise. I hope they will have a sanctuary rather than being bred...

So sad. Glad that they are closing it down.

Vastmind
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I was thinking of getting a pet.... :p

herberto
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Netflix had a movie about this, I think it was called The Tiger and The Monk or something like that.

• SwaroopSwaroop India Veteran

I read that the tigers are being transferred to a sanctuary. The adult tigers would not survive for a day in the wild.

herberto
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2016

Such a clear presentation for everyone that no amount of shaven heads, robes or a spiritual show, ameliorates the consequences of avarice.

lobsterCinorjerShoshin
  • RuddyDuck9RuddyDuck9 MD, USA Veteran

@silver- Yes! There was a doc about this on Netflix. It may yet be there. Wasn't long ago I saw it myself. What is shown on said Doc is really interesting and exhilarating...that being said, this whole thing is just incredibly sad to me. I mean, such gorgeous, graceful cats as these should be protected....... It's always hard to say whether the black market goods were taken from already dead or dying creatures, or whether the cats were killed for the sake of Capitalism. It's SO unconscionable... Like @Cinorjer says... Humans have these faults no matter what set of beliefs they profess to carry.

I may sound naive to say this, but I really hope this tragedy arose from a desire not to waste useful parts of a beloved animal... like making buttons from deer antlers & needles from bones... like tanning hide for clothing in a responsible way. I am definitely a pacifist, but I understand the reasonable (if done correctly) usage of natural animal products for every day products and medicines...... BUT.... forcing the sale of such items at a premium just for money's sake.... isn't that why these creatures were in the temples to begin with? To protect them??

silverCinorjer
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran
    edited June 2016

To @RuddyDuck9 -- If it doesn't show up on the free Netflix movies, you can do a search for it. It truly was a fascinating little movie. It's there - I just did a search.
    <3

• @karasti said:
    They are transferring them to nearby breeding centers? does that mean something different in Asian culture versus here? Because that doesn't sound much more pleasant than what they were experiencing otherwise. I hope they will have a sanctuary rather than being bred...

So sad. Glad that they are closing it down.

From other articles, these are temporary housings for the tigers to put them someplace safe while they arrange to ship them all over the world to zoos and other sanctuaries that will take them.

karasti
  • SwaroopSwaroop India Veteran

@karasti said:
    They are transferring them to nearby breeding centers? does that mean something different in Asian culture versus here?

That sounds racist.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Swaroop said:

@karasti said:
    They are transferring them to nearby breeding centers? does that mean something different in Asian culture versus here?

That sounds racist.

Oh, please....
    Different cultures have different attitudes to the welfare, well-being and importance of animals, both domestic and wild.

The Chinese for example, have an annual festival where they catch alleged stray dogs, and cook them alive, because they believe it's ok to do so.
    In the uk, this is considered a barbaric outrage.
    In China not many people really care.

is it racist of the UK to campaign to have this practice outlawed?

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited June 2016

In the book 'Empty Cloud' a wild tiger comes for dharma ... Wonderful book about a relatively modern teacher.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hsu_Yun
    Some Buddhist 'saints', just advanced peace generators really, do effect wildlife. Sadly these tiger abusing monks are no exemplars. Booh! Hiss!

Cinorjer
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

LOL @Swaroop No, I was asking if there was a difference in the definition of the words. As in the term "breeding center" might mean something entirely different in another country compared to where I live. It had nothing to do with race whatsoever. Just linguistics.

lobster
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2016

@federica said: The Chinese for example, have an annual festival where they catch alleged stray dogs, and cook them alive, because they believe it's ok to do so.

In the town I grew up in, a Chinese take-away was prosecuted for serving up alsatian curry. I wrote a poem about it:

Greyhounds are fast
    Greyhounds can hurry
    Which is how they avoid
    Being in Chinese Curry.

Alsations are fierce
    And bark loudly too
    Which is how they avoid
    Being in vindaloo. :p

SwaroopCinorjerperson