Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Muhammad Ali "I'm The Greatest" Has Died

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran
edited June 2016 in General Banter

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2016

He used to talk a lot about whipping his friend Joe, but it takes all sorts I suppose. :p

• CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited June 2016

One of the most divisive figures of my generation. Got caught up in that whole Vietnam protest thing, then topped that off with converting to Nation of Islam and changing his name to Muhammad. This was before the whole "all Muslims are terrorists" thing and instead our nation was locked in an "all Communists are evil" cold war, so that was okay with most people. Even racist white folk had to agree he was the best heavyweight fighter of his time. Combine that with his hammy acting in front of the cameras and his round babyface, and people couldn't help rooting for him in the end.

Thing is, he was softspoken and you wouldn't feel threatened by him if you invited him home to dinner, unlike some fighters like Mike Tyson who always seem one bad remark away from pounding someone.

Vastmindsilver
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran
    edited June 2016

I didn't even recognize him in his latest picture.

Even I like him and I hate boxing...unique personality for a fighter, I guess. B)

R.I.P. Mr. Ali.

CinorjerSteve_B
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

His mamma call him Clay, imma call him Clay.

silverVastmind
  • gracklegrackle Veteran

For sure he was one hell of a mensch. I use to visit the 5th street gym. I never got to see Ali but Angelo Dundee was there once in a while. You could see the up and comers there as well as the also ran. Ali's daugfter is also in the game.

Cinorjer
  • Early self-promotion aside, he was a great boxer, a great athlete and he became a great positive role model for many youths of this nation and the world.
    Peace and honor to you, Ali.

lobsterCinorjer