Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Pope and Dalai Lama

techietechie India Veteran

The Pope washed the feet of refugees and insisted that rich nations accept them and treat them with respect. The dalai lama, himself an exile in India, made a rather insensitive comment that Europe should not become Arabia (or something to that effect).

I am not posting this to discuss dalai lama's comment. This is to stress that one can be buddhist and still admire good things from other religions. Also it shows the danger of identity politics - as buddhists, we tend to (at least subconsciously) defend other buddhists, especially celebrity buddhists no matter what they say or do. This betrays our attachment to worldly things, which the buddha condemned.

Both these points are important to consider, IMO.

Comments

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

I quite like this Pope in many things he does. I think he is the most enlightened leader of Catholicism in a very long time.

I wouldn't call His Holiness Dalai Lama a celebrity Buddhist though. Politics has been tied to His Holiness since before his incarnation. Tibet sees its Dalai Lamas as their spiritual AND political leaders. And before 1950 I doubt it would be raising eyebrows.

You say you're not posting this to discuss His Holiness' comment, but you know it will be discussed. I could point out that this may strike a chord with you as His Holiness resides in your country (India), but I'm sure you will assert it does not influence your opinion.

I like your statement This is to stress that one can be buddhist and still admire good things from other religions I think this is something that we all lose sight of at different points of time. We need to remember this point more often.

_ /\ _

lobsterBunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Very good @SpinyNorman :grin:
    Thanks for sharing ... though I have a feeling ice cream is a solitary indulgence. ;)

I find most of us prefer to support wisdom from our dharma tribe but I would suggest as @techie mentions that the Noble efforts of other traditions are worth celebrating and learning from.

For example the jakata tales do not compete with celtic, shamanistic, Hindu tales. We can perhaps make use of them. Humility I would suggest is very well developed in Christian mysticism. The spiritual nature of work and life is very well developed in Islamic and Judaic traditions, in contrast to the householder avoidance scheme set up in the Sangha.

Wisdom first. Affiliated and party line dharmaism second.

• SwaroopSwaroop India Veteran

The Chinese government has settled Han Chinese in Tibet and has forcibly altered the demographic profile of the Tibetan homeland. HHDL might have had that in mind when he made that comment. May be what he meant was "Help those in distress, but not at the price of losing your identity".

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited June 2016

@Swaroop said:
    "Help those in distress, but not at the price of losing your identity".

If I might be so bold ...
    sometimes the way to help the distressed involves losing identification ... B

To put it another way, much of the distress in the world is because we grasp at land, gender, culture, religion and other forms of identity.
    The empty and unborn is increasingly dead to such partial attachments. Hopefully my cheque from China is on its way ... ;)

@lobster said:

@Swaroop said:
    "Help those in distress, but not at the price of losing your identity".

If I might be so bold ...
    sometimes the way to help the distressed involves losing identification ... B)

Compassion is one thing. Naivete is another thing altogether.

silver
  • RuddyDuck9RuddyDuck9 MD, USA Veteran

Any time someone is put in the position of choosing the lesser of two evils, nobody wins. :frown:

Kundosilver

Maybe we should just ask His Holiness what he actually meant...........

• techietechie India Veteran

I think he was VERY clear. Please see this link:
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jun/1/dalai-lama-too-many-refugees-in-germany-nation-can/

If the headline had not mentioned Dalai lama, I would've thought Trump (or some right-wing politician) had made that remark. O.o

lobster
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@techie said: I think he was VERY clear. Please see this link:
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jun/1/dalai-lama-too-many-refugees-in-germany-nation-can/
    If the headline had not mentioned Dalai lama, I would've thought Trump (or some right-wing politician) had made that remark. O.o

I don't see this as a "right-wing" comment. We have the same tendency in the UK, anyone who expresses concern about the level of immigration is accused of being a "racist".

Kundosilver
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

^^^ Tee Hee. The Dalai Lama is a right wing politician. It is one of the legacies of being head of a deposed theocracy ... Did anyone guess?
    http://opcoa.st/0sp6x

@dhammachick said:
    Maybe we should just ask His Holiness what he actually meant...........

Perhaps. Perhaps not ...

OM MANI PEME HUM
    as the Lama said to the Unholy ...

... and now back to the Popes foot fetish ... o:)

SwaroopWalker
    edited June 2016

@techie said:

It was also reported "The Dali (sic) Lama added that despite the need to empathize with refugees, the ultimate goal “should be that they return and help rebuild their countries.”

Which is actually correct. Many Syrian refugees have stated their desire to return to Syria once peace is restored. So to help fulfill this wish, we should be focusing on helping restore peace to Syria so they can return and rebuild their lives. Of course,in a perfect world this would be a doddle, on Planet Earth however, it's a bit more complicated than that.

I think you have a biais about His Holiness for some reason, whatever it is I don't really care in the scheme of things. His Holiness is well known as not speaking English as a first language and has been misinterpreted when asked about homosexuality in the past. I don't share your view of him being akin to Trump, I think you're reaching in this case.

_ /\ _

silver

@dhammachick said:

@techie said:

It was also reported "The Dali (sic) Lama added that despite the need to empathize with refugees, the ultimate goal “should be that they return and help rebuild their countries.”

Which is actually correct. Many Syrian refugees have stated their desire to return to Syria once peace is restored. So to help fulfill this wish, we should be focusing on helping restore peace to Syria so they can return and rebuild their lives. Of course,in a perfect world this would be a doddle, on Planet Earth however, it's a bit more complicated than that.

I think you have a biais about His Holiness for some reason, whatever it is I don't really care in the scheme of things. His Holiness is well known as not speaking English as a first language and has been misinterpreted when asked about homosexuality in the past. I don't share your view of him being akin to Trump, I think you're reaching in this case.

_ /\ _

Even Angela Merkel the most refugee friendly European politician, has said many times that refugees must go back when normalcy is restored in their homeland. Does that mean she is a right wing hot head too @techie?

RuddyDuck9silver
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited June 2016

@SpinyNorman said:

@techie said: I think he was VERY clear. Please see this link:

I don't see this as a "right-wing" comment. We have the same tendency in the UK, anyone who expresses concern about the level of immigration is accused of being a "racist".

The Swiss have even voted to limit immigration quite severely, in a binding referendum. So there is a possibility that Switzerland will have to leave the Schengen area agreements on free movement of goods and services, which may cost them considerably on an economic level.

So does that make them a nation of racists? I don't think so.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

HHDL's quotes are so often taken out of context. It's quite amazing how often this happens. And yes, language is a barrier as is our frequency to look for offense in everything we read and hear these days.

HHDL was not being un-compassionate in his comments. He was not suggesting "Arabs" are not welcome in Europe or Germany. He was, it seems, suggesting that yes, those more fortunate should help the suffering of refugees but that it should not be with the vision that Europe should become anything other than Europe helping refugees. That it should not turn into the countries that the people had to leave. That Europe should be a temporary refuge. I see nothing wrong with that comment. Germany should be a country that is helping people. It should not turn into a replacement for Syria. That HHDL laughed when he said Germany cannot be an Arab country should say a lot about his intent/context for the comment. Germany, of course, cannot be anything other than Germany. That is how I read it anyhow. I try to choose not to be offended by everything I read and instead read for context.

silverlobsterKundo