Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Tips/Help? (Questions Submitted in Description)

BenjaminBenjamin England Explorer

Tips on getting the best meditation experience?
Can Therevada Buddhists worship the Buddha and if so, how?
Building a shrine at home: what to do?
Best Books on Buddhism?

Comments

• BenjaminBenjamin England Explorer

A Buddhist becoming a Police Officer/ Community Support Officer in UK (no guns/weapons) - Acceptable?

• http://www.yowangdu.com/tibetan_buddhism.html
    Online course of about 5 modules. The first one describes setting up a shrine. Quite informative.

@Laughing_Lilac
    Thank you!

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited June 2016

@Benjamin said:

Much info on the web ...
    http://opcoa.st/0jL1j

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Benjamin said:

Sit.

Can Therevada Buddhists worship the Buddha and if so, how?

No. The Buddha isn't worshipped, because he's not a God, never was, isn't or will be. He is revered, respected and followed. But not worshipped.

Building a shrine at home: what to do?

Chose a quiet, personal spot, and make it your own.

Best Books on Buddhism?

See this thread.

@Benjamin said:
    A Buddhist becoming a Police Officer/ Community Support Officer in UK (no guns/weapons) - Acceptable?

Anything you do would have to be done mindfully and skilfully.

lobsterBenjamin

@federica
    Hello, thank you for your response. I was thinking the same as what you said with regards to the worship idea, however I saw on a site that Mahayana Buddhism includes worship to the Buddha but thank you for clearing it up for me :)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2016

Mahayana (specifically Tibetan) Buddhism has incorporated a great deal of the original religion of the region which was Bon, a religion full of superstitions, myths and Shamanistic practices.

Read more http://himalaya.socanth.cam.ac.uk/collections/journals/bot/pdf/bot_1981_04_01.pdf.

Theravada Buddhism, in my opinion, sheds the whistles, bells, extensions, and multi-faceted rituals, and cuts to the chase. it is a more austere, 'direct' and no-frills approach, which in some cases, is a little bit like a Victorian Governess' attitude: straight-laced, no nonsense, and some might say, humourless. Not to say that Mahayana is frivolous, trivial or superficial; but there does appear to be more scope for self-expression and colour....

Most of the "user-friendly", instructive, insightful and easily-digestible literature made available, by Buddhist authors, does stem from the Tibetan/Mahayana Buddhist side. The Theravada books are few and far between by comparison, and written in a far more dry, direct and 'deeper' language. There is little if any scope for light-heartedness.
    For all that, I take from both, as both are sound, educational and thought-provoking.
    IMHO. some of the best learning comes from AccesstoInsight, a comprehensive, thorough and entirely verifiable source of education.

BunksBenjamin