Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"The Empty Brain"

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Passed along in email today was this article: "The Empty Brain: Your brain does not process information, retrieve knowledge or store memories. In short: your brain is not a computer" by Robert Epstein. It is written in coherent English, but it is longer than your average Tweet ... by a lot. Still, for those with the patience and interest, I think it is well worth the read.

I loved it ... just don't ask me for a precis.

lobsterFosdickherbertoperson

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Could we have a Precis....?

:tongue:

karastiVastmindRuddyDuck9
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

What's a precis? o:)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Exactly.

Vastmind
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited June 2016

Good read. Easy to understand. I kinda think I already knew that.

My experience has been just that. It's all about the experience. I had no idea the IP metaphor was so hot and hip, hahahaha. The baseball player example was more accurate. I would like to think I don't over analyze everything.. I do. But....through practice, I've also learned to move around more..... so....I guess like most baseball games, I'm not trying to hurry up the innings. :mrgreen:

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Thanks for sharing B)

'The map is not the territory' as they say in NLP

mimesis is worth mentioning
    http://opcoa.st/0jSrk

As we move to quantum computing via new neural net chips such as IBM's TrueNorth or KnuPath, the use of self modifying computer programming code will become mainstream. Nowhere near 'real' AI but will be increasingly necessary.

The step beyond quantum computing (hypercomputing) when it emerges will be interesting ...

Oh ... I feel all geeky ... as the AI was programmed to say ...

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@federica said:
    Could we have a Precis....?
    :tongue:

This short educational film will explain things:

RuddyDuck9
  • herbertoherberto Arizona Explorer

Wow! I love this article. Mind blown. First I find out that time as we know it is a man made concept and now this. I always suspected that there was nothing stored in my brain.

edited June 2016

You're lucky. You've got one.... Or as @SpinyNorman would put it..

"You have a Brain?! Luxury!!"

silverlobsterherbertoRuddyDuck9
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Its nice to get points of view that can step us out of conventional thinking on a subject.

Some things that came to mind for me were, what about some autistic people's minds that do have perfect recall of images? Even if computer AI and human brains process the world in dramatically different ways, does that rule out hyper intelligent computers with their promise and danger? If information processing isn't the model for animal brains, what is the model? He doesn't really offer one and this question is supposedly the easy problem of consciousness.

lobster
    edited June 2016

Autistic brains have the astonishing ability to review a memory without permitting imagination or elaboration to interfere. 'once seen, always remembered' rather than never forgotten.Autistic people lack imagination or the ability to stray from clinical thought.
    As for hyper intelligent AI - I think by the time we have worked out a way of engineering it, we will also have worked out a fail-safe limiter.
    Finally - why does there have to be a model? That's the point he is making, isn't it? The brain isn't a device that need have a model. Quite the contrary, it seems to me...

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@person. Good points.
    In fuzzy logic and quantum computing (though in a different way) the solution dictates the process.

In the new AI/neural net chips, the method of pattern recognition may be different each time and improve due to the data set, correcting algorithm.

This mimic of neurons firing is not yet an AI. Nor will quantum computers be.
    It will take a generation or two beyond them to generate AI rather than simulate it.