Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Public Meditation

2»

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited August 2016

@Zania said:
    I think maybe I feel a bit self conscious.

mmm ...

I tried to see if I could meditate while looking casual. It was too difficult to do, and the distractions at the shopping center was overpowering, but actually still possible to do. I wouldn't recommend it and prefer regular seated meditation. The only good thing about the experience that I remember is that I was able to capture thoughts and notice the breath.

I sometimes take someone on a walking meditation and nobody seems to notice the strange dog. If I was wearing a casual hat and sunglasses, I might attract attention ... Going inward is a good practice even when dragging along humans ... B)
    http://opcoa.st/0kfbk

• RuddyDuck9RuddyDuck9 MD, USA Veteran

@lobster does posing as a dog in public require a furry coat, or just a leash?

DairyLamalobster
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

@RuddyDuck9 said:
    So many layers of meditation to be had.... it's like the table at my local shopping mall where the Mennonite ladies sell their home-made baked goods.... I want them all!! But I must be patient and have only one at a time. :pleased:

Yep. How can you truly taste the brownie if you still have apple pie in your mouth?

RuddyDuck9
    edited August 2016

@David then it becomes an experiment in flavors, which could reveal a whole other level of insight! Do you see my conundrum? It's difficult to pick just one thing and focus on it, as we all know here. I'm moving away from mantra meditation, and focusing more on my breath. Letting my wandering mind do its thing without yelling at myself. Funny how people can tell you to do something but it really doesn't make sense, and then you get the "aha!" moment. :lol: Like, wow! They're all so correct! Duh!... I think what helped me with this is positive reinforcement with the new pup. He responds so much better to being told he's good at good times, than he does to being yelled at when he's naughty. My mind is the same. Ignore the naughty, multiply love to myself when it's all good. At the very least it can't hurt!

My problem now is, if I can get past being self-conscious in public, my next concern is, "what if I'm smiling and people think I'm on drugs?" haha. Or what if I get a sunburn? :)

DairyLama
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

Sunburn could be a problem but you can avoid it.

What people think of you doesn't really matter but it's not like you have to go into full lotus and start chanting, lol.

lobsterRuddyDuck9
  • @RuddyDuck9 said:
    My mind is the same. Ignore the naughty, multiply love to myself when it's all good. At the very least it can't hurt!

Sounds like a plan. <3

My problem now is, if I can get past being self-conscious in public, my next concern is, "what if I'm smiling and people think I'm on drugs?" haha. Or what if I get a sunburn? :)

People think all kinds of crap stuff - Get used to it. Smile like the Mona Lisa, not like The Joker/Cheshire Cat.

Sunburn? You need a mommy? [too harsh?]

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Some handy hints for examples of public smiling:

RuddyDuck9

@lobster Yes, too harsh! All it takes is 5 minutes in the sun for me. I could reapply spf 30 every 45minutes to and hour and still come home with a burn. My ancestors must have been serious cave folk, like Gollum or sumfin'. ;)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2016

@RuddyDuck9 said:
    @lobster Yes, too harsh! All it takes is 5 minutes in the sun for me. I could reapply spf 30 every 45minutes to and hour and still come home with a burn. My ancestors must have been serious cave folk, like Gollum or sumfin'. ;)

Here's an interesting fact.
    You know the SPF numbers? SPF15, 25, 30, 50...etc?

Right:
    Let's say for argument's sake that at midday, you sit in full sun, with no cream on.
    You say "All it takes is 5 minutes in the sun for me...."
    So let us presume that after 5 minutes, you feel that familiar tingle, that familiar prickle as your skin begins to react adversely to the sun's power. Your solar resistance, is therefore 5 minutes.

Ok so far?

Right.
    Now let's take that SPF number again.
    Let's say you apply SPF30.

That number - is what you multiply your 5 minutes' solar resistance, by.

so, 5 x 30 = 150.
    That's one-hundred-and-fifty minutes. That's 2 and a half hours. At midday.
    (Probably, towards a hotter part of the day, say between one and 4 pm, you're liable to burn more quickly, but I think it's the wise person who avoids full/direct sun during those hours...)

Now here's the important bit.

If you've applied SPF30, and you've sat in the sun for those 2 and a half hours, - NO MATTER HOW MUCH MORE SPF30 YOU APPLY, IT WILL NOT PROTECT YOU FROM FURTHER EXPOSURE

You've had your full quotient of sun, at that SPF level. Slap on as much more as you want, once you've done your time - that's it.

So meditate for as long as you want, but use the appropriate cream.

RuddyDuck9

@federica I'm almost speechless at this. I thought I knew everything there was to know about being pale! :surprised: