Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Failure - Lobster Retreat

Dear friends of the Buddha:

I am on a personal retreat.

Day 1
Cycle past local Buddhist temple on the way to temporary hermitage.
Shut until 7.00 AM - wot? Those of us desperate for dharma blessing are being excluded? Pah!

Arrive at hermitage 5.50 AM.
Begin to expose sentient beings such as slugs and snails to birds in hermitage garden.
Have Vajrayana 'precept-breaking' breakfast of shandy and prawn salad (cannibalism - they are cousins).

Will keep you informed ...

DairyLamaBunkskarastiVastmindSwaroop

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Epic proportions you backward crustacean!

Vastmindsilver
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@lobster said:> Cycle past local Buddhist temple on the way to temporary hermitage.
    Shut until 7.00 AM - wot?

Pah! Bleedin' part-timers. :p

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

9.00 AM
    mindful bubble bath, whilst chanting to at least 3 yidams and bananas ...

Form is like a glob of foam;
    feeling, a bubble;
    perception, a mirage;
    fabrications, a banana tree;
    consciousness, a magic trick —
    this has been taught
    by the Kinsman of the Sun.
    However you observe them,
    appropriately examine them,
    they're empty, void
    to whoever sees them
    appropriately.

http://opcoa.st/0fZmk

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

You eat salad with a spoon??
    Also, if you inked in the tub you might have your species a bit incorrect! :confused: Actually I think it would be the incorrect phylum. The only thing lobster and squid share is the kingdom of animalia! :O I am not sure what to think about this.

federicaVastmindRuddyDuck9

@lobster said:> Have Vajrayana 'precept-breaking' breakfast of shandy and prawn salad (cannibalism - they are cousins).

If you get a kebab on your retreat Gallipoli the Turkish gull will certainly be interested. :p

• lobsterlobster Veteran

thanks guys

1PM
    Had a visit from Mahakala in the form of a crow.

Karmic consequences of beer breakfast required a spot of cushion sitting, due to slight headache. Been eating too many sweets, two speciality pies and biscuits. Not sure I even know how to spell restraint ...

Salad was dana, (leftover) and came with spoon. Will contemplate my squid status.

• RuddyDuck9RuddyDuck9 MD, USA Veteran

I thought retreats were supposed to be apart from the interwebs? naughty lobster

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@RuddyDuck9 said:
    I thought retreats were supposed to be apart from the interwebs? naughty lobster

Well...he is naughty.....but I like new sensations (naughty silver!) - But:

I don't quite get it. :glasses:

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited July 2016

@RuddyDuck9 said:

Day 2

The internet and wrathful 'deities' can be skilful manifestations of our 'dark side'. Of course they are no more spiritual/Buddhist than reading ones justifying sutras or developing a rainbow body of pink fluffyness. O.o (too wikid?)

On a walking mindfulness in the 'real world' came across this ideal bench, walking meditation spot or possible containment of the hell realm or a bad boy zennith ...

After a good sit, I promptly got lost but arrived back safely at the hermitage and have been indulging in Guru Rinpoche Sadhana. He is only semi wrathful, so I should be OK ...

silverDairyLamaRuddyDuck9yagr
  • GuiGui Veteran
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Day 3

Complete Failure. O.o
    Oh well ... maybe tomorrow might try to be more Buddhist ... o:)

silver
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

DAY 4

'Hey Siri, set timer for 45 minutes'
    That is what I tell my iPad
    The iPad tells me the timer is set and counting.
    I meditate and chant.

Then write this:

The Monkey and the Buddha

Monkey mind describes our human nature. The mind or thoughts are monkey mind. Monkey includes the emotions and the arising from our physical nature. In contrast Buddha Nature, includes the enlightened mind. The Buddha like qualities include wisdom and compassion.
    We become increasingly aware of this monkey mind. How monkey is primitive. How monkey engages in self-destructive and completely irrelevant, frivolous behaviour. This monkey minded individual runs and gibbers through our lives. Monkey personifies our suffering/dissatisfaction.
    Fortunately through concerted effort we can make a difference. The teachings of the Buddha, the teachings of the dharma and encouragement of the Sangha empower our escape from samsara. Obvious really.

I understand the basics of Monkey Mind, but are we talking monkeys or apes? I know it's a metaphor. I don't mean to sound silly or combative here. Just wondering how far to take the metaphor. Apes become more human every year. Is the entire species working up in the ranks toward enlightenment? I know there is some difference in opinion on whether animals can become awakened.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2016

metaphorically, definitely monkeys. I always think spider monkeys, myself...Those guys are never still...!

How exactly would you scientifically justify the comment that 'apes become more human every year'...?
    I doubt very much the entire species is working towards enlightenment. It would take several thousand more years for such an event to even be considerable....

RuddyDuck9

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran
    edited July 2016

Road-Song of the Bandar-Log
    Here we go in a flung festoon,
    Half-way up to the jealous moon!
    Don't you envy our pranceful bands?
    Don't you wish you had extra hands?
    Wouldn't you like if your tails were--so--
    Curved in the shape of a Cupid's bow?
    Now you're angry, but--never mind,
    Brother, thy tail hangs down behind!

Here we sit in a branchy row
    Thinking of beautiful things we know
    Dreaming of deeds that we mean to do,
    All complete, in a minute or two--
    Something noble and wise and good,
    Done by merely wishing we could.
    We've forgotten, but--never mind,

All the talk we ever have heard
    Uttered by bat or beast or bird--
    Hide or fin or scale or feather--
    Jabber it quickly and all together!
    Excellent! Wonderful! Once again!

Now we are talking just like men!
    Let's pretend we are ... never mind,
    This is the way of the Monkey-kind.

Then join our leaping lines that scumfish through the pines,
    That rocket by where, light and high, the wild grape swings.
    By the rubbish in our wake, and the noble noise we make,
    Be sure, be sure, we're going to do some splendid things

Rudyard Kipling

@federica said:
    How exactly would you scientifically justify the comment that 'apes become more human every year'...?
    I doubt very much the entire species is working towards enlightenment. It would take several thousand more years for such an event to even be considerable....

I say that based on my own conclusions :blush: of course something like that would take ages to really show... but humans have been stunted evolution-wise for some time now... according to sir D. Attenborough .

I am thinking of apes/ chimps showing human-like traits which haven't been seen before, and which seem to have no uselful purpose in the wild.

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

@RuddyDuck9

apes/ chimps showing human-like traits which haven't been seen before

One reason these behaviors have not been seen before is that no one was looking for them. Our knowledge increases, and our perceptions change. In our minds, apes do indeed become more human every year. Genetically, we are practically identical to them, sharing 98 or 99% of our DNA with chimps - I forget the exact figure. For perspective, though, I think we share something like 58% of our DNA with lettuce. I could go on, but I hear some monkey hissing at me that I'm digressing from topic.

RuddyDuck9
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited July 2016

Final Day
    Sunrise. Meditate. Water apple trees. Then a few words ...

The monkey mind
    http://opcoa.st/0V97Q
    is more like a troupe of monkeys
    It settles into one more focussed monkey
    Perhaps edging towards the intelligence and gentleness of
    the great apes such as the gorilla
    However it is still just aping the real Buddha Nature.
    The real human (ape) is part animal and part something 'more than' ...

The Awakened Buddha, she is no-monkey ... or should we say Know-monkey ....

RuddyDuck9Beej

Now your retreat has ended are you going to become a wandering ascetic?

lobsterWalker
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Tee hee ^^. Maybe I will come by your beach as a gull and steal away the near shore ...

Day After Retreat

The world is much the same. Nothing changes but everything is impermanent. Maybe I am on Day 1 ... :)

RuddyDuck9

Groundhog Day? :p

lobster
  • yagryagr Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:

Oh my goodness, I think I know this fellow.