Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Non-duality

misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a HinduIndia Veteran

Hi All,

what is this non-duality? or in other words, what is this oneness of all things? i see a chair in a room, but i and chair are different things. if we take it to matter and consciousness, then matter and consciousness are different things. So is there something like non-duality, or oneness, which is referred to in spiritual teachings? How to experience non-duality? Any ideas please. thanks in advance.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

You and chair are different things. But a chair and a chair (inanimate, non-sentient compounded objects) are the same, just as you and another human being, are the same.
    You are not a chair, a chair is not you.
    You are every human being, and every human being is you.

I struggle with this on one level, but happily believe and accept this on another.
    MY task, is to even up the difference....

herbertoRuddyDuck9
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Good points @kerome, I had not taken the comparison to that extent, because I was simply thinking on an immediate-perception level.

"There's this wonderful story about the first meeting between Kalu Rinpoche and Zen master Seung Sahn: The two monks entered with swirling robes - maroon and yellow for the Tibetan, austere gray and black for the Korean - and were followed by retinues of younger monks and translators with shaven heads ... The Tibetan lama sat very still, fingering a wooden rosary (mala) with one hand while murmuring, 'Om mani padme hung,' continuously under his breath.

The Zen master reached deep inside his robes and drew out an orange. 'What is this?' he demanded of the lama. 'What is this?' This was a typical opening question. The Tibetan sat quietly fingering his mala and made no move to respond. 'What is this?' the Zen master insisted, holding the orange up to the Tibetan's nose. Kalu Rinpoche bent very slowly to the Tibetan monk next to him who was serving as the translator, and they whispered back and forth for several minutes. Finally the translator addressed the room: 'Rinpoche says, What is the matter with him? Don't they have oranges where he comes from?'"

herbertoRuddyDuck9
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2016

Reminds me of when a Tibetan Buddhist was trying to explain emptiness to me by using the example of the parts of a "table".
    Teacher: "If I remove the legs from the table, what am I left with?"
    Me: ( all innocent ): "A table top?" :p

I iz wikid.

Cinorjerherberto
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran

inter-being or inter-relatedness seems understandable, but @Kerome we still are different - right? where is the oneness here - or - where is the non-duality here? or what is oneness here?

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

@misecmisc1 said:
    Hi All,

what is this non-duality? or in other words, what is this oneness of all things?

Every single thing is a unique aspect and expression of the same process. Every single sentient being is a new perspective on the old scene.

Even "oneness" doesn't explain it because the label implies a finished work and borders. If we are "one" there must be a border between "one" and "not-one".

I think duality is an illusory tool and nothing bad. Like the love of money is bad, not money itself... Kind of sorta.

i see a chair in a room, but i and chair are different things. if we take it to matter and consciousness, then matter and consciousness are different things. So is there something like non-duality, or oneness, which is referred to in spiritual teachings? How to experience non-duality? Any ideas please. thanks in advance.

You can visualize togetherness using logic but to actually feel it, I'd suggest walking meditation both before and after logical discourse.

personlobster
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited July 2016

@misecmisc1 said:
    Hi All,
    i see a chair in a room, but i and chair are different things.

When the above is reduced to just "chair" and that's it! There's no "I see" some thing. There's no making of "I see" to begin with.

The bodhisattva Srigandha declared, " 'I' and 'mine' are two. If there is no presumption of a self, there will be no possessiveness. Thus, the absence of presumption is the entrance into nonduality." Vimalakirti Sutra Chapter 9: The Dharma-Door of Nonduality

To study the Way is to study the self. To study the self is to forget the self. To forget the self is to be Enlightened by all things. ~Zen Master Dogen

And some commentary on the above

"Being Enlightened by all things" expresses the mental activity of Without Thinking (hishiryo) wherein the "Self" as well as No-self (and also "other") is "forgotten," because awareness of such distinctions is not present. No separate Self is present to perceive "other" things. Rather, the Self is all these things, and vice versa, in THIS moment. From Without Thinking (hishiryo) flows the only identifiable "reality, " namely the unceasing, ever-changing, impermanent unfolding of experience. From Without-Thinking/Enlightenment, therefore, we see things as they really are (genjokoan).

Cinorjerpersonmisecmisc1pegembara

@seeker242 said: When the above is reduced to just "chair" and that's it! There's no "I see" some thing. There's no making of "I see" to begin with.

This is reminiscent of the Bahiya Sutta - the training referred to here is the bare attention of mindfulness:

"Then, Bāhiya, you should train yourself thus: In reference to the seen, there will be only the seen. In reference to the heard, only the heard. In reference to the sensed, only the sensed. In reference to the cognized, only the cognized. That is how you should train yourself. When for you there will be only the seen in reference to the seen, only the heard in reference to the heard, only the sensed in reference to the sensed, only the cognized in reference to the cognized, then, Bāhiya, there is no you in connection with that. When there is no you in connection with that, there is no you there. When there is no you there, you are neither here nor yonder nor between the two. This, just this, is the end of stress."
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/ud/ud.1.10.than.html

Cinorjerseeker242misecmisc1herberto
  • Even when you understand that you're looking at the world from a dualistic viewpoint, then what do you do about it? I suppose in one way or another, every school of Buddhism attempts to drag our minds from the dualistic extremes to the middle way. It's the "Right View" part of the 8-Fold Path. In Zen, we meditate on Emptiness. I think other schools use the term "impermanence".

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

@Cinorjer said:
    Even when you understand that you're looking at the world from a dualistic viewpoint, then what do you do about it?

Buddha used dualism as a tool and his body as a vehicle of the dharma to help awaken more of us to the logic of compassion.

Cinorjerherberto
    edited July 2016

@Cinorjer said:> Even when you understand that you're looking at the world from a dualistic viewpoint, then what do you do about it? I suppose in one way or another, every school of Buddhism attempts to drag our minds from the dualistic extremes to the middle way. It's the "Right View" part of the 8-Fold Path. In Zen, we meditate on Emptiness. I think other schools use the term "impermanence".

There are various approaches, including anatta, sunyata, anicca and paṭiccasamuppāda.
    I think the challenge is to develop direct insight, rather than it being merely an intellectual exercise. Close observation of experience is how I approach it, aka mindfulness.

NB
    anatta = not-self
    sunyata = emptiness
    anicca = transience
    paṭiccasamuppāda = dependent arising or conditionality

Cinorjer
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@misecmisc1 said:
    inter-being or inter-relatedness seems understandable, but @Kerome we still are different - right? where is the oneness here - or - where is the non-duality here? or what is oneness here?

Well, let me see if I can bend the principle - and your mind - a little further :)

If you inter-are with all your ancestors and everything that caused them to make you who you are, can you still say exactly what a human being is? Your reality stretches far back into the distant reaches of time, and inter-relates with many many other humans. If you in practice are but a humble part of the Whole, you could say you are like a unique snowflake, but still like many other snowflakes, and deeply connected to them. There is a definite one-ness in that.

Cinorjer
  • namarupanamarupa Veteran
    edited July 2016

Duality is falling into a category, conventionality or labels. Non-duality is an experience to discover and to further explore. It is a property of emptiness and I believe the eighth jhana describes it. Neither perception nor non-perception is non-duality. Hearing no hearer, seeing no see-er etc.

The Eighth Jhana: Neither perception nor non-perception

The eight and ninth jhanas are difficult to discuss because they are so hard to describe in much the same way nibbana is hard to describe. This is because they are such heightened levels of concentration and of the Path itself, that they must be experienced. There is also very little to discuss with the eighth and ninth jhanas, since the perception levels have become so fine and so subtle. You enter the eighth jhana by letting go of the sense of no-thingness and enter a very natural, calm place. In the eighth jhana there is very little recognition of what is happening, but you are also not totally unaware of what is happening. There is such a peaceful state and you have gone beyond the duality of perception nor non-perception that it is easy to be fooled that you have experienced full enlightenment. But there is still more to do.

http://www.dhammawiki.com/index.php?title=9_Jhanas#The_Seventh_Jhana:_No-thingness

Cinorjer
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@lobster said:
    Outstanding insights B)

@misecmisc1 said:
    How to experience non-duality?

We have to in a sense, relax our attachment to opinions, separation, inner 'my', 'me', 'mine'. We have to look at the very nature of our experience and its arising. Hence practice.

Also, it is important to realise that often there are many more ways of classifying things than in opposing pairs. The first is the halfway house of a sliding scale - light and dark exist within a continuum of shades of twilight. The second is that often opposing pairs exist together with many other equal partners, for example black and white co-exist with red and blue. It is in fact really difficult to think of two things which are real, not abstract, and still a pure duality. So by looking a little deeper, you can train the mind to view things in more complex ways that just duality.

This discussion also isn't entirely complete without mentioning neti-neti - a useful concept even if it isn't strictly Buddhist. It is a Sanskrit term for a Vedic method of inquiry into the nature of self and the universe. It is a way of excluding ever more, by going not this, nor that, until it arrives at the authentic I. During this process all dualities drop away.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neti_neti

Cinorjerlobster

I don't believe in opposites, just complimentary aspects of the same thing.

Up and down are complimentary aspects of directionality for example.

The only true opposite for apple is no apple but no apple is just a concept just as the idea of opposites.

Yin is considered the opposite of yang but the only opposite of the yin yang is no yin yang.

• misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited July 2016

@seeker242 said:
    "Being Enlightened by all things" expresses the mental activity of Without Thinking (hishiryo) wherein the "Self" as well as No-self (and also "other") is "forgotten," because awareness of such distinctions is not present.

As far as I remember, what I heard in a dhamma talk given by a Zen teacher, the instruction for zazen, which Dogen taught in Fukanzazengi was: Think not-thinking. How do you think not-thinking? Non-thinking.

So is this Without Thinking (which is referred in above commentary) the same as Non-thinking, which Dogen taught to do in zazen? please clarify. thanks in advance.

Cinorjerlobster
  • Here is my take on non duality ie. no separation between subject and object.

"I" see a chair. "I" hear a bell. That is the default mode where the subject is the one who sees or hears. (subject existing independent of the object)

The Buddha taught that the reality is eye see, ears hear under the right conditions eg. light, functioning vision, contact, attention etc.

The zen teaching says without a listener is there sound of a falling tree. (Answer is no)
    But turning that around, without sounds where can the listener be.

Can there be thinker without thoughts or a knower without the known? No separation.

"Very well then, Kotthita my friend, I will give you an analogy; for there are cases where it is through the use of an analogy that intelligent people can understand the meaning of what is being said. It is as if two sheaves of reeds were to stand leaning against one another.

"If one were to pull away one of those sheaves of reeds, the other would fall; if one were to pull away the other, the first one would fall.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn12/sn12.067.than.html

misecmisc1Zenshin
    edited July 2016

"Neti-neti" is very similar to the refrain in the suttas, "this is not me, this is not mine, this is not myself", as applied to experience through the sense bases. Except that in Hinduism there is something left, the seer, Atman...which seems very similar to the innate knowing of mind in some Buddhist schools.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svasaṃvedana

lobster

@SpinyNorman said:

"Neti-neti" is very similar to the refrain in the suttas, "this is not me, this is not mine, this is not myself", as applied to experience through the sense bases. Except that in Hinduism there is something left, the seer, Atman...which seems very similar to the innate knowing of mind in some Buddhist schools.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svasaṃvedana

That's just it... As the question is begged, who proclaims "This is not me"?

edited July 2016

@David said: That's just it... As the question is begged, who proclaims "This is not me"?

Yes, there is an "inner knowing". I think in Buddhism this awareness would be considered a quality of mind rather than an essence observing. So we would talk about it as prajna or jnana, rather than as Atman. It took me quite some time to understand the difference!
    I think Ajahn Chah used to refer to it as "one who knows", though he didn't mean this as an "essence" who knows.
    Note the refrain in the Dhammapada, "sabbe dhamma anatta", which means all phenomena lack self-hood, including Nibbana. And in the Heart Sutra, the bodhisattva uses prajna wisdom to see the emptiness of the aggregates - so he uses wisdom, not Atman.

lobsterCinorjerpegembara

@misecmisc1 said:
    As far as I remember, what I heard in a dhamma talk given by a Zen teacher, the instruction for zazen, which Dogen taught in Fukanzazengi was: Think not-thinking. How do you think not-thinking? Non-thinking.

So is this Without Thinking (which is referred in above commentary) the same as Non-thinking, which Dogen taught to do in zazen? please clarify. thanks in advance.

Yaoshan's "Non-thinking" and the "without thinking" above are both "Hishiryo". =)

@seeker242 said:
    Yaoshan's "Non-thinking" and the "without thinking" above are both "Hishiryo". =)

Is this basically non-conceptual awareness?

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Well said @SpinyNorman
    These may seem subtle nuances but they are very practical instructions, as you say resulting in a mind quality

We engage in a dualistic but practical introspection ... neti-neti. Recognising the inherent emptiness of the dualistic experiencer and object results in a settled mind quality. Such a quality manifests as a singular/wholistic unity ...

• @SpinyNorman said:

@David said: That's just it... As the question is begged, who proclaims "This is not me"?

Yes, there is an "inner knowing". I think in Buddhism this awareness would be considered a quality of mind rather than an essence observing. So we would talk about it as prajna or jnana, rather than as Atman. It took me quite some time to understand the difference!
    I think Ajahn Chah used to refer to it as "one who knows", though he didn't mean this as an "essence" who knows.
    Note the refrain in the Dhammapada, "sabbe dhamma anatta", which means all phenomena lack self-hood, including Nibbana. And in the Heart Sutra, the bodhisattva uses prajna wisdom to see the emptiness of the aggregates - so he uses wisdom, not Atman.

"One night I was sitting in meditation outside in the open air — my back straight as an arrow — firmly determined to make the mind quiet, but even after a long time it wouldn't settle down. So I thought, "I've been working at this for many days now, and yet my mind won't settle down at all. It's time to stop being so determined and to simply be aware of the mind." I started to take my hands and feet out of the meditation posture, but at the moment I had unfolded one leg but had yet to unfold the other, I could see that my mind was like a pendulum swinging more and more slowly, more and more slowly — until it stopped.

... the mind was in a state of awareness absolutely and solidly still, seeing clearly into the elementary phenomena of existence as they arose and disbanded, changing in line with their nature — and also seeing a separate condition inside, with no arising, disbanding, or changing, a condition beyond birth and death: something very difficult to put clearly into words, because it was a realization of the elementary phenomena of nature, completely internal and individual.

the moment when the mind let go of everything was a clear awareness of the elementary phenomena of nature, because it was an awareness that knew within and saw within of its own accord — not something you can know or see by wanting.

For this reason the Buddha's teaching, "Sabbe dhamma anatta — All phenomena are not-self," tells us not to latch onto any of the phenomena of nature, whether conditioned or unconditioned."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai/kee/inward.html#anatta

CinorjerDairyLamalobstermisecmisc1
    edited July 2016

@pegembara said:> For this reason the Buddha's teaching, "Sabbe dhamma anatta — All phenomena are not-self," tells us not to latch onto any of the phenomena of nature, whether conditioned or unconditioned."

"Unconditioned" is tricky. As you'll know in the suttas "the unconditioned" is an epithet for Nibbana. I used to think of "the unconditioned" as a noun, like an absolute to be discovered or connect with - but that would make it like Atman/Brahman, and then "sabbe dhamma anatta" wouldn't make sense because it includes the unconditioned ( Nibbana ). And of course sunyata is not compatible with absolutes like Atman/Brahman.
    So now I see "unconditioned" as an adjective, not a noun, descriptive of a quality of mind.

To be honest I don't think this stuff is always explained very well in Theravada schools, it only really clicked when I went back to the Heart Sutra and prajna. I recited the Heart Sutra daily for many years so I am somewhat familiar with it. B)

lobsterCinorjerpegembara
    edited July 2016

@lobster said:> We have to in a sense, relax our attachment to opinions, separation, inner 'my', 'me', 'mine'. We have to look at the very nature of our experience and its arising. Hence practice.

What I find is that strong mindfulness naturally dilutes the sense of "me" - just focussing on present experience, more awareness, less thought.
    Perhaps it is thinking itself that creates self-view? "I think, therefore I think I am". ;)

Anyway, I don't think non-duality is some profound mystical experience or realisation, it's actually very ordinary and natural.
    "Be Here Now" as some old hippy used to say. :p

CinorjerRatBoymisecmisc1
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:

Perhaps it is thinking itself that creates self-view?

Tee Hee.
    I will have to not think about that. ;)

My experience is the attachment or preference to our thoughts/thinking/being in other words tight ass thinking, manifests as separation/suffering/dukkha.

In a sense we do not identify or cling to our opinions, thinking, certainty of consciousness etc.

As I said to the Buddha only this morning, 'one of us must die!'

DairyLama
    edited July 2016

@lobster said: > @SpinyNorman said:

Tee Hee.

Actually, thinking about my own experience ( doh! ) it seems to be strong feelings that increase the sense of "me". Or at least the tendency to over-identify with them.

lobster

@SpinyNorman said:

@lobster said: > @SpinyNorman said:

Tee Hee.

Actually, thinking about my own experience ( doh! ) it seems to be strong feelings that increase the sense of "me". Or at least the tendency to over-identify with them.

I certainly had that with anger in the past, though not recently, it kind of flames up from within. But I also had a long experience with sadness not so long ago and that seemed to settle all over and around me like a great blanket.

• namarupanamarupa Veteran
    edited July 2016

@SpinyNorman said:

@lobster said:> We have to in a sense, relax our attachment to opinions, separation, inner 'my', 'me', 'mine'. We have to look at the very nature of our experience and its arising. Hence practice.

What I find is that strong mindfulness naturally dilutes the sense of "me" - just focussing on present experience, more awareness, less thought.
    Perhaps it is thinking itself that creates self-view? "I think, therefore I think I am". ;)

Anyway, I don't think non-duality is some profound mystical experience or realisation, it's actually very ordinary and natural.
    "Be Here Now" as some old hippy used to say. :p

Ordinary/unordinary
    Natural/unnatural
    Be Here Now/Be Here Later

Nope still dual. :p

@namarupa said:> Ordinary/unordinary
    Natural/unnatural

Non-duality is nothing to do with word games.

• @SpinyNorman said:

@namarupa said:> Ordinary/unordinary
    Natural/unnatural

Non-duality is nothing to do with word games.

I wasn't being serious, but I still do think its not that easy to reach/attain, even "natural" and "ordinary" for that matter.

edited July 2016

@namarupa said: I wasn't being serious, but I still do think its not that easy to reach/attain, even "natural" and "ordinary" for that matter.

I see awakening as gradual and progressive rather than sudden.

@SpinyNorman said:

@seeker242 said:

Is this basically non-conceptual awareness?

I don't know. I guess that would depend on what one's conception is regarding "non-conceptual awareness", LOL

@SpinyNorman said:

It's hard to wrap mind around wisdom detecting wisdom.

Where does buddhanature fit into this?

edited July 2016

@David said:> Where does buddhanature fit into this?

I understand it as the potential for enlightenment.
    Prajna is a quality of mind, clear knowing. Prajna doesn't see itself, it sees emptiness.

edited July 2016

@SpinyNorman said:

@David said:> Where does buddhanature fit into this?

I understand it as the potential for enlightenment.
    Prajna is a quality of mind, clear knowing. Prajna doesn't see itself, it sees emptiness.

From my view, emptiness is the same as potential.

I'm honestly not trying to be argumentative so forgive me for pressing...

It seems to me that a quality of mind would be inherent in any sentient being and so without the point of view to become untainted by, there would be no knowing.

No mud, no lotus.

Unless there is a universal knowing but then we're looking at Atman again.

namarupa
  • @SpinyNorman said:

@namarupa said: I wasn't being serious, but I still do think its not that easy to reach/attain, even "natural" and "ordinary" for that matter.

I see awakening as gradual and progressive rather than sudden.

I would even expand on "gradual" and spread it out over lifetimes if needed. Some things may be easily understood, but a different story to apply and put to use.

edited July 2016

@David said: No mud, no lotus. Unless there is a universal knowing but then we're looking at Atman again.

I think prajna has a universal quality, but then so does joy or anger. That doesn't make it an absolute like Atman/Brahman. But there has to be somewhere for it to arise, and that is the mind.
    I think you could look at the mind as a container or space within which various qualities can be present, or not ( see the 3rd frame of satipatthana, states of mind ).

You could say either that prajna results from practice, or that it is always present and is revealed by practice ( Buddha nature? ).

edited July 2016

@SpinyNorman said:

@David said: No mud, no lotus. Unless there is a universal knowing but then we're looking at Atman again.

I think prajna has a universal quality, but then so does joy or anger. That doesn't make it an absolute like Atman/Brahman. But there has to be somewhere for it to arise, and that is the mind.

Exactly.

So without sentient beings and duality, there is no knowing or prajna but only the potential for it.

To me this implies that although the seer trains to be one with the seen, there is still someone who trains to see.

I think you could look at the mind as a container or space within which various qualities can be present, or not ( see the 3rd frame of satipatthana, states of mind ).

You could say either that prajna results from practice, or that it is always present and is revealed by practice ( Buddha nature? ).

I can dig that but is it present without individuality as individuality is an expression of prajna or buddha nature or is it the other way around? If there is no beginning then I guess it could be both and neither in a way. More inter-dependence.

I'm really not sure.

I think if given infinite and beginningless time, with all the infinite possibilities playing out in all the infinite ways, potential or emptiness will eventually catch a glimpse of itself.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited July 2016

@David said:
    Unless there is a universal knowing but then we're looking at Atman again.

From my experience, Buddha Nature, Atman ( is that like batman without being :p ) are not something that is 'not non dual'. They are not another thing that conventional mind can attach to, interpret, experience as separate or even speak of [mega lobster fail on that one].

edited July 2016

@David said: I can dig that but is it present without individuality as individuality is an expression of prajna or buddha nature or is it the other way around?

It seems that a mind is required to experience all of this stuff, so it's something experienced by individuals. I don't think prajna is some kind of essence floating around, that would be more like Hinduism.

@SpinyNorman said:

@David said: I can dig that but is it present without individuality as individuality is an expression of prajna or buddha nature or is it the other way around?

It seems that a mind is required to experience all of this stuff, so it's something experienced by individuals. I don't think prajna is some kind of essence floating around, that would be more like Hinduism.

Yes and this is where I don't bother with beliefs or faith. Sometimes one makes more sense and sometimes the other wins out.

• CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited July 2016

I think we're launching into the usual esoterical orbit now and elevating non-duality into the mystical realm. Duality plays out all around us. Right now in the USA we have white people blaming all black people for the killing of some police last night, and obviously other people blaming all police for the killing of nonthreatening black people. Dualism feeds on itself.

Non-dualism is not the opposite of dualism, because that would just add a layer to the problem. That would mean judging the police force and black protesters to be equally at fault. Non-dualism is not judging at all and just wanting the shooting to stop. People are shooting each other. Just stop!

It's not easy to practice non-duality when the world, or more precisely the loud voices that want to rule it, are yelling at you to pick sides. For the history of humanity, one tribe has been killing the other and tribal leaders have been cheering us on from the safety of their fortified camps. Dualism is a current that sweeps us all along the stream of life, while we ignore the sound of the waterfall getting louder. Non-duality means letting go of your cherished opinions of who are the bad guys and who are the good guys, and see people who need to stop hurting each other.

Deformed

@Cinorjer said:
    I think we're launching into the usual esoterical orbit now and elevating non-duality into the mystical realm. Duality plays out all around us. Right now in the USA we have white people blaming all black people for the killing of some police last night, and obviously other people blaming all police for the killing of nonthreatening black people. Dualism feeds on itself.

Non-dualism is not the opposite of dualism, because that would just add a layer to the problem. That would mean judging the police force and black protesters to be equally at fault. Non-dualism is not judging at all and just wanting the shooting to stop. People are shooting each other. Just stop!

It's not easy to practice non-duality when the world, or more precisely the loud voices that want to rule it, are yelling at you to pick sides. For the history of humanity, one tribe has been killing the other and tribal leaders have been cheering us on from the safety of their fortified camps. Dualism is a current that sweeps us all along the stream of life, while we ignore the sound of the waterfall getting louder. Non-duality means letting go of your cherished opinions of who are the bad guys and who are the good guys, and see people who need to stop hurting each other.

I agree. It's at least partially about seeing through the concept of opposites.

I just see people killing people.

Cinorjer
  • DeformedDeformed Veteran
    edited July 2016

This really helped me become more aware of the experiential non-duality that is. From p. 211 of Thich Nhat Hanh's Heart of the Buddha's Teaching:

"Let us look at a wave on the surface of the ocean. A wave is a wave. It has a beginning and an end. It might be high or low, more or less beautiful than other waves. But a wave is, at the same time, water. Water is the ground of being of the wave. It is important that a wave knows that she is water, and not just a wave. We, too, live our life as an individual. We believe that we have a beginning and an end, that we are separate from other living beings. That is why the Buddha advised us to look more deeply in order to touch the ground of our being which is nirvana. Everything bears deeply the nature of nirvana. Everything has been 'nirvanized' That is the teaching of the LOTUS SUTRA. We look deeply, and we touch the suchness of reality. Looking deeply into a pebble, flower, or our own joy, peace, sorrow, or fear, we touch the ultimate dimension of our being, and that dimension will reveal to us that the ground of our being has the nature of no-birth and no-death.

"We don't have to ATTAIN nirvana, because we ourselves are always dwelling in nirvana. The wave does not have to look for water. It already is water."

Cinorjernamarupamisecmisc1