Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Clinging and non-clinging aggregates

DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
edited July 2016 in Buddhism Today

I came across the Khanda Sutta again and was reminded that there are two sets of aggregates, a "basic" set and a clinging set. This is why dukkha is equated to the clinging aggregates in the First Noble Truth.

So the goal of practice is get rid of the yucky clinging aggregates, just leaving the nice non-stick ones. ;)

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn22/sn22.048.than.html

Bunks

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Teflon aggregates? Sounds like a new type of road surface.... Tarmac on the 8Fold Path!

Bunks
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@federica said:
    Teflon aggregates? Sounds like a new type of road surface.... Tarmac on the 8Fold Path!

Teflon Aggregates! Sounds like a Swedish Math Rock band.......

DairyLamaWalkerRuddyDuck9
  • @SpinyNorman said:

I came across the Khanda Sutta again and was reminded that there are two sets of aggregates, a "basic" set and a clinging set. This is why dukkha is equated to the clinging aggregates in the First Noble Truth.

So the goal of practice is get rid of the yucky clinging aggregates, just leaving the nice non-stick ones. ;)

So our "basic aggregates" are the core, the base and the structure we want to keep and polish (the gems and golden stuff.)
    Then we have the "clinging aggregates" - the nasty, yucky, unwanted stuff.
    Our practice is then the soap, water and polish to wash away the yucky and polish our gems, our golden stuff.
    Easy as quantum physics, hard as hop scotch. =)

Peace to all

• Like wood and charcoal. You can't build much with charcoal.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

For some reason "clinging aggregates" makes me think of the Tar Baby.

• Why do we need to understand the five aggregates?

This is because the five aggregates are the Noble Truth of Suffering (Dukkha Ariya
    Sacca). The entire teaching of the Buddha is based on the Four Noble Truths,
    and the First Noble Truth, the Noble Truth of Suffering, is the five aggregates
    of clinging.

This is because these five aggregates are the objects of identity view and clinging. It
    is important to understand this statement. Because of having a body, we
    identify our body as “I,” “me,” and “mine.” Without having a body, how could
    we possibly identify it as “I,” “me,” and “mine”? Thus the materiality
    aggregate becomes the object of identity view. We cling to the body as “I,”
    “me,” and “mine.” And when we cling to the body, we also cling to the view
    that we have a body. In fact, we cling to this view as if our very life depended
    on it, which it does. Thus a vicious cycle is set in motion--body begets view,
    and view begets body.

The same is true of the other four aggregates (feeling, perception, volitional
    formations and consciousness). Whenever we experience a pleasant feeling, we
    identify it as “my” pleasant feeling. You take this pleasant feeling as
    “yourself.” And when you identify with it, clinging arises. When your eyes see
    something, you say, “Oh, I see!” When the ear hears something, you say, “I
    hear! I hear!” What actually happens during the hearing process is that a sound
    impinges on the ear sensitivity of the ear, and because of this contact, hearing
    consciousness arises. This is the actual process. But without seeing this process
    clearly, you identify it as your-“self” hearing a sound. In the same way, when
    you eat something, the food touches the tongue sensitivity, and due to this
    contact, tongue consciousness arises. This is the actual process. But without
    understanding this process, you immediately identify it as your-“self” tasting.
    Thus, without seeing clearly, identity view comes about.

http://www.dhammatalks.net/Sayalay_Susila/An_Introduction_to_the_Five_Aggregates-2012_10_15.pdf

“It is by clinging that the notion „I am‟ occurs. Not without clinging.
    And by clinging to what does the notion of „I am‟ occur?”
    What do you think?

“It is by clinging to the five aggregates that the view „I am‟ occurs.”

SN 22.83

ShoshinJeroenlobster

@pegembara said> This is because the five aggregates are the Noble Truth of Suffering (Dukkha Ariya
    Sacca).

Though it is the clinging aggregates which are equated to dukkha, not the "basic" aggregates.

It might be simpler to say that clinging aggregates = dukkha = self-view.

Shoshin
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

Sorry for always using the same old analogies but once we see through the illusion of a separate self, we don't stop using it as a tool.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited July 2016

Well said @pegembara

Even though many of us, me for example, would like a simplified dharma, we have to work at the cloy, tar, karma, sticky senses clinging to personal dukkha.

My pain, my unique opinion, my sensory body base, my Buddha ready for meeting, my realisation, my peace of mind/being ... etc etc

Of course it is the worldly view that putting right the ego, the exterior world or others is the solution ... How is that working out? Good enough for now? Badly? Temporarily OK?

Here is a clue:

I take refuge in the Buddha, the Dharma, the Sangha.

If you have a better plan, be glad to hear it ... B)

RuddyDuck9

Use a dharma pressure washer to get rid of those pesky clinging aggregates! :p

RuddyDuck9
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    Use a dharma pressure washer to get rid of those pesky clinging aggregates! :p

Also known as Tantra...

David

I use bare attention, but Tantra is cool too. ;)