Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Arnold Schwarzenegger now a vegan!

Comments

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

I predict he will fall off the wagon at some point...like when he looses too much weight,

personkarasti
  • DakiniDakini Veteran

Cut down on meat consumption to avoid diabetes? Somebody has no understanding of what causes diabetes. Oh well. It's true that the livestock industry not only creates a lot of CO2, there can be groundwater pollution issues from such high concentrations of animals. It's good to bring media attention to it and to raise awareness.

So, is Arnie gonna become a tofu chomper now? Gotta see it believe it, lol.

RuddyDuck9
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@silver said:> I predict he will fall off the wagon at some point...like when he looses too much weight,

"I'll be back." :p

silverRuddyDuck9
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Surely that should read .."I'll be back on...." (Bacon....geddit? Huh??)

Oh, please yourselves....

RuddyDuck9silverDairyLama
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited July 2016

@Dakini said:
    Cut down on meat consumption to avoid diabetes? Somebody has no understanding of what causes diabetes.

Not entirely.

"Increased conformity to vegetarian diets protected against risk of type 2 diabetes after lifestyle characteristics and BMI were taken into account. Pesco- and semi-vegetarian diets afforded intermediate protection."
    ~Type of Vegetarian Diet, Body Weight, and Prevalence of Type 2 Diabetes
    Diabetes Care. 2009 May; 32(5): 791–796.

Unsurprisingly, nonvegetarians had the highest rate of type 2 diabetes out of all the groups.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

I always wonder about the tests -- does it really mean it's because diabetics eat lots of meat or a combination of other factors, like more white carbs (rice, bread, that sort of thing). I'm sure it has far more to do with those refined carbs than any protein and/or animal fats.

• Steve_BSteve_B Veteran

The latest research is extremely interesting. Contrary to prior belief, there is a measurable insulin index to non-carbohydrate foods; meats are a prime offender.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Sigh. Diabetes is difficult because it is an extremely complex disease, nevermind how complex each different types is. Yes, even foods without measurable carbs can cause a glucose spike because the hormone makeup of the body is extremely complex and variable by each person. I have a type 2 diabetic friend who gets spikes from hot dogs.

To say that people with diabetes eat more meat thus meat contributes to or causes diabetes is a huge stretch. First, I REALLY hate it when no one differentiates between the 2. It seriously irritates the crap out of me (yes, this is my problem, lol) because I get so tired of people insinuating that if I'd just eaten less of this or that that my son wouldn't be a diabetic. Autoimmune diseases are much more complex than that. Second, generally speaking, people who are vegan or vegetarian, are much more conscious of what they eat. While there are some who go on a pasta kick because it's "vegetarian" most of them do have healthy, plant based diets. Being more health conscious alone helps to decrease the odds of type 2 diabetes quite a lot.

But regardless of how healthy a food might be, it can still cause huge glucose spikes, and that has to be managed. Diabetes management is tricky, and the perfect balance is not only different per person, but changes on a weekly basis, if not daily or even hourly. Fat and protein are vital, and it's a fact that most people who are vegan or veggie eat quite a few carbs. So that still has to be managed. It can be really hard, speaking as my son's mom, to make a choice of something high carb that is going to cause a glucose swing even if it's a healthy food. I'm not advocating for unhealthy food, lol. But I'll give him more chicken breast over more legumes because of that fact. Because the swings and the highs are dangerous to his health and because chicken doesn't cause him problems. He still gets beans, but they are limited while chicken is not. A lot of veggies are almost unlimited, which is nice. Greens especially!

In any case, I'd love to see Arnold manage his calorie intake while staying lower carb and stay veggie. It's pretty hard. Most vegans are fairly high carb compared to the limits my son has (and most diabetics). Low carb diets actually show A LOT of promise into limiting diabetic ketoacidosis episodes and the complications that come in long term diabetes like nerve damage, kidney disease and eye problems. So it's not so simple, as I often point out, as "vegan/veggie is best for everyone!"

silverRuddyDuck9

Stress alone can cause diabetes. Mental/emotional/physical stress. My grandmother had only one child - my mother - and she (grandma) developed gestational diabetes and had to take insulin - lost both her legs above the knee in the last few years of her life - she was a very active person - did almost all the cooking and housekeeping - but not all of course. She was one of those people who Had to keep themselves busy. No doubt stress kept it going once she developed it.