Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

kamma/Dhamma

upekkaupekka Veteran
edited July 2016 in Buddhism Basics

difference between kamma path and Dhamma path (NEP) is just the two side of one thoughtful moment (like two sides of a coin)

if we are not mindful of the Truth we are in kamma path
if we are mindful of the Truth we are in Dhamma path

if we are in kamma path that means we are in never ending samsara
if we are in Dhamma path that means we are reducing the already earned results of kamma (results of previously done good or bad kamma)
for example, say we have 100 fruits to be ripen because of our previous kamma,
if we are in kamma path in the present thoughtful moment there will be another fruit adding to 100 fruits, so there will be 101 fruits to be ripen
and
if we are in Dhamma path in the present thoughtful moment there will be one fruit less, namely 99 fruits to be ripen

what one has to do is to know the Truth first and then try to be mindful whenever a result of past kamma comes on to surface (as a kamma vipaka/ a fruit to be ripen)

question is
is it enough to say 'we have to be in the present moment (be mindful)' is worth when we do not know the Truth yet

if not
how can we know the Truth

Comments

• misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited July 2016

any sutta which refers to the above maths for net karma calculation, please?

one question on karma, since you already raised a thread on karma: if we do positive karma, then does that balance out the negative karma? let me explain, say our current karma balance is +5 for positive karma and -500 for negative karma, so we will bear 5 good things as result and 500 negative things as result. Now if we do say +1 positive karma, then would the next karma balance would be +6 for positive karma and -500 for negative karma - or - +5 for positive karma and -499 for negative karma? in other words, does positive karma balances out negative karma or will positive karma create an additional good result, instead of substracting one negative result? any sutta reference for this query please. thanks in advance.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Yet more papanca...
    Meditate on this, and calm your monkey tongues!

RuddyDuck9
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

• RuddyDuck9RuddyDuck9 MD, USA Veteran

i think op is making this unnecessarily complex. you're always working on kamma and dhamma. always. No?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2016

@RuddyDuck9 said:
    i think op is making this unnecessarily complex.

Well spotted.... I think it's a bit of a habit...

you're always working on kamma and dhamma. always. No?

I would have thought so, yes.

• upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited July 2016

@RuddyDuck9 said:
    i think op is making this unnecessarily complex. you're always working on kamma and dhamma. always. No?

no

i wanted to get a clear answer to a complex problem

we are always working on kamma
    but
    it depends on wisdom and knowledge to working on Dhamma

we work on Dhamma happens only when we are on wisdom and knowledge

all other times we are working on kamma

(this is my understanding so far and i would like to here from advanced practicing meditaters whether what i have understood is correct or wrong)

• RuddyDuck9RuddyDuck9 MD, USA Veteran

dhamma is your life's work. Maybe at the beginning you are not too wise or knowledgeable, but that doesn't mean you're not working on dhamma. It's not the same as a buddhist masters degree, or something where you would need to work up in the ranks in order to be prepared for it.

I think perhaps if I'm not answering the way you expected, then I'm not understanding your question, @upekka . Can anyone else shed some light on the topic?

Kundo

@upekka said: i wanted to get a clear answer to a complex problem

we are always working on kamma
    but
    it depends on wisdom and knowledge to working on Dhamma

we work on Dhamma happens only when we are on wisdom and knowledge

all other times we are working on kamma

(this is my understanding so far and i would like to here from advanced practicing meditaters whether what i have understood is correct or wrong)

The two are not mutually exclusive, they are conjoined and inseparable.

If you seek clear answers, ask a clear question.
    If you ask a complex question, you will receive complex - and varied OPINIONS.
    But rarely, will you receive a CLEAR answer.

It also pays to ask yourself: Will asking the question, or even the response move my practice further forward?
    How?
    Is it beneficial?
    Does it help?

RuddyDuck9
  • upekkaupekka Veteran

@federica said:

>

The two are not mutually exclusive, they are conjoined and inseparable.

thanks for your answer

If you seek clear answers, ask a clear question.
    If you ask a complex question, you will receive complex - and varied OPINIONS.

but still they help
    already many answers i received from this forum as well as from other forums helped me in my practice

But rarely, will you receive a CLEAR answer.

you wouldn't know and you couldn't know

It also pays to ask yourself: Will asking the question, or even the response move my practice further forward?

most of the time i do
    sometimes i ask some questions to bring up the answers of others to conducive to the practice

How?

it would always help to see from a different angle (point of view)

Is it beneficial?

always they were benefited me
    even though some people answered with irritation, that too helped me to move forward in the path

Does it help?

sure, it helped me so far, so i believe asking question would help me as well as would help some others (if not all)one
    one can not always make everyone happy at all time

<3

It's not about making others happy. You cannot do that...
    It's about you finding Contentment where you are right now ...

I mean, honestly, do you sit at a desk with pen and paper wondering what kind of a convoluted question you can ask next...?

Practice is often better than Pondering a question which ultimately, will lie undisturbed and unpoked, while you are busy thinking of the next one...
    Sometimes, it is good to make the Mind work.
    At other times it is better to decide, "Aw, just let it lie!" and to continue the day Mindfully....

• upekkaupekka Veteran

@federica said:
    It's not about making others happy. You cannot do that...
    It's about you finding Contentment where you are right now ...

I mean, honestly, do you sit at a desk with pen and paper wondering what kind of a convoluted question you can ask next...?

Practice is often better than Pondering a question which ultimately, will lie undisturbed and unpoked, while you are busy thinking of the next one...
    Sometimes, it is good to make the Mind work.
    At other times it is better to decide, "Aw, just let it lie!" and to continue the day Mindfully....

<3

• upekkaupekka Veteran

kamma path is different from Dhamma path

we worldlings are in kamma path even though we think we are on both kamma path and Dhamma path just because we read and listen to dhamma and practice meditation

ones who have Right view (seka ones) are on Dhamma path only when they are mindful with appropriate attention

is there anyone who support the above statements or against them

after the morning meditation, at the 3rd appropriate attention i found the above statement (there is no other source that i can provide)