Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Venerable Thubten Chodron

BunksBunks Australia Veteran

So I have decided I am going to fly to Singapore in December to see Venerable Thubten Chodron for a few days. She is teaching over there for a week.

As my wife said (rather ironically) "you only live once".

ShoshinlobsterVastmindCinorjerkarastiTara1978WalkerKundoRuddyDuck9nakazcid

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

So what tradition is she in? Is it like a retreat situation?

PS James Bond said you only live twice. :p

RuddyDuck9
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

She is an American Nun in the Gelug Tibetan tradition. I have been following her as my primary teacher for a couple of years now.....

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@Bunks I have fond memories of the Singapore of the early 1970s, exotic. exciting, dirty, street markets, open sewers, and rats galore...Now it's a modern well kept concrete jungle city...

Are your whole family going ?

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Sounds wonderful.
    How exciting ... <3 ... in a completely detached sort of way of course ...

Bunks

@Shoshin said:
    @Bunks I have fond memories of the Singapore of the early 1970s, exotic. exciting, dirty, street markets, open sewers, and rats galore...Now it's a modern well kept concrete jungle city...

Are your whole family going ?

No. Just me @shoshin.

I spent a few days there on my honeymoon and actually didn't particularly like it. Especially after ten days in beautiful Phuket!

Shoshin
  • @Bunks said:

Hee. I see what you did there.

federicaKundoVastmind
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

That's awesome @Bunks! I love her. I follow her on youtube and she is one of my go-to people when I need advice for dealing with the state of the world.

VastmindRuddyDuck9
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@Bunks said:
    So I have decided I am going to fly to Singapore in December to see Venerable Thubten Chodron for a few days. She is teaching over there for a week.

So happy for you my Southern bro _ /\ _

Thanks guys! :)

• RuddyDuck9RuddyDuck9 MD, USA Veteran

Oh I can't wait to hear how your trip went! What a wonderful opportunity for you! Will you be able to speak with TC one on one at all?

I hope so @RuddyDuck9. I have been corresponding with one of the nuns at the Abbey and she said to make sure I come and say hi to them after a teaching!

silverRuddyDuck9

I just hope I don't end up like these guys

lobsterWalkersilver
  • nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

Thubten Chodron's Buddhism for Beginners was my first "real" Buddhist book. It was a great introduction to the religion, and cleared up many questions and misconceptions. I hope you have a wonderful and fulfilling visit.

@nakazcid said:
    Thubten Chodron's Buddhism for Beginners was my first "real" Buddhist book. It was a great introduction to the religion, and cleared up many questions and misconceptions. I hope you have a wonderful and fulfilling visit.

Thank you.

The Abbey have said that given I am flying all the way from Oz they'll organise for me to be able to offer lunch or tea to Ven Chodron and spend some one on one time with her.

I know she is very busy so I appreciate it!

JeroenShimRuddyDuck9
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

^^. Maybe get an initiation to do a sadhana or similar?
    http://opcoa.st/0S5gH is one she offers. You'll be a Buddha in no time.

Such a meeting can inspire and motivate you for years.

Give her a bit of choccy and money, you'll be fine. Long live the Sangha! B)

JeroenBunks
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Bunks said:> The Abbey have said that given I am flying all the way from Oz they'll organise for me to be able to offer lunch or tea to Ven Chodron and spend some one on one time with her.

I hope your meeting will be on Youtube. :p

Bunks
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Ooooh, yeah, that would be something!

@SpinyNorman said:

@Bunks said:> The Abbey have said that given I am flying all the way from Oz they'll organise for me to be able to offer lunch or tea to Ven Chodron and spend some one on one time with her.

I hope your meeting will be on Youtube. :p

Hopefully it would be a little clearer than some of my earlier YouTube ramblings back in my drinking days! My wife is a patient woman.