Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

breaking the first The first precept.

shep83shep83 wisbech, cambigshire, uk Explorer

This morning I took the life of a number of flies, the recent warm weather here in the UK, along with the fact that we have had all our windows and doors open has ment an influx of the flying wee beastys in my kitchen, which is un unhygienic to say the least, (flys eat poo you know) so can of raid in hand I instigated a fly genocide, I'm not proud of it but they were becoming an absolute nuisance.

Thoughts?

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited July 2016

If you did not put them in a stupa for future Buddhas (or a bin) and done extensive mantras for their well being, I would be surprised. B)

Then again if you had ... everyone else might class you as a Buddhist head case ... :o

Dukkha is true. Flies are a pest. It is their circumstances [shrug]. Don't have a cow!

Yours sincerely Lobster (death dealer and fly killer) ... :3

ajhayesSwaroopRuddyDuck9herberto
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Keep doors and windows closed or buy some fly screen... Put a lid on the rubbish bins, (interior and exterior ones) don't leave food exposed, especially unwashed plates and cooking utensils... and buy some Venus Fly Traps...Or you might find some useful tips regarding fly repellents ...."Here"

lobsterBunks
  • gracklegrackle Veteran

In S Florida roaches and palmetto bugs can be a bother. So I got some roach motels. The slogan was, "Roaches check in but they don't check out". Not true. They did indeed approach the motel but didn't check in. Now in the desert southwest its a different cast of characters.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Bravo @Shoshin well said B) ... must work on my ahimsa ...

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

If there is no other way, send them on their way with metta and the wish "may you be reborn a Buddha"

Swaroop
  • I use a screen which stops flies from getting into the house. If you do not assert control over your boundaries than many things can creep in.

Bunks
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Tee hee. Fly screens for Buddhist forums?

Cinorjer
  • OK, now I have an image of a fly swatter in the shape of a seated Buddha.

Kundoherberto
  • shep83shep83 wisbech, cambigshire, uk Explorer

I've been really good up until this point, I previously had a massive fear of spiders, I haven't killed a spider at all recently, but these flys have been kicking around my house for days, I asked them nicely to leave of which they refused, I then tried to catch them in my hands and usher them out still no luck.. Death was the only option..

• Will_BakerWill_Baker Vermont Veteran

@shep83 said:
    This morning I took the life of a number of flies, the recent warm weather here in the UK, along with the fact that we have had all our windows and doors open has ment an influx of the flying wee beastys in my kitchen, which is un unhygienic to say the least, (flys eat poo you know) so can of raid in hand I instigated a fly genocide, I'm not proud of it but they were becoming an absolute nuisance.

Thoughts?

-As other's have said, I use screens. I don't like killing flies. If I can I catch them and release them outside. I'm not judging folks that do though...

Bunks
  • Actually this reminds me of several weeks ago, when suddenly my windows were full of huge black flies trying to get out. Looked like something out of the Amityville Horror movie. Only instead of evil, I looked around and discovered flies had been breeding in the bottom of my trash can in the kitchen. Summer and 80 degrees and some old scraps tossed away was all it took.

I opened the windows and let a lot of them out, but they insisted on congregating at the kitchen window that doesn't open, so I had to use the can of fly spray. At least it's quick. I dislike the flystrips that hang from the ceiling because bugs get stuck and then have to slowly die.

And yes, I felt guilty, just a bit, as I cleaned up the dozens of fly corpses. But not enough to spend days chasing flys out of the house.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Do your best to prevent them, but take care of them if needed otherwise. It would not be wise or skillful to risk your health or the health of anyone else to avoid killing flies, fleas, ticks, etc. They often spread disease and allowing them the freedom to do so just is not helpful for anyone. Probably not even them. I always say a brief apology and wishes for a better rebirth (and I do mean it).

lobstershep83silveryagr
  • DakiniDakini Veteran

Usually we recommend prevention of the problem, first and foremost. Screens on windows and doors. Personally, I wouldn't spray raid around, because that poison is in your environment, too, not just the insects' environment. Upon reading some of the responses, though, I realize that it's easy for me to say, since I don't seem to live in an insect-rich environment. I see some of you face real challenges in that regard. So, carry on. Just be careful of your own health.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2016

I had a huge fly in my house. So I chased it out of one room, and closed that door. Followed it into another room, out of that one - and closed that door too. In the end, every door to every room, was closed to it. It was either dealing with me (at one end of the corridor) , or heading out of the only window left open - at the other end of the corridor. It chose the window. Clever fly!

Bunksshep83silverRuddyDuck9
  • FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

In summertime, I normally leave my outside studio door open during the day. Lately a couple dozen small flies have been coming in, and they all buzz around together in the middle of the room for an hour or two, breeding perhaps. Then they all leave and come back the next day to repeat the performance. Very entertaining.

shep83
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Don't fret @lobster! I iz rubbish too.

During the mouse plague of 1987, I spent a morning dipping tiny mice into a bucket of petrol then lighting them up and listening to them squeal as they sizzled and tried to run away.....

I also bashed a European Carp to death against a tree over a period of about 30 minutes in my youth.

Much purification required!!

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@Bunks said:
    Don't fret @lobster! I iz rubbish too.

During the mouse plague of 1987, I spent a morning dipping tiny mice into a bucket of petrol then lighting them up and listening to them squeal as they sizzled and tried to run away.....

I also bashed a European Carp to death against a tree over a period of about 30 minutes in my youth.

I almost bashed a Collingwood supporter to death...... in my head

Well, it WAS the semi finals at the SCG you know :mrgreen:

Bunkslobster
  • techietechie India Veteran

In my experience, flies never respond well to diplomacy. A preemptive strike is the only way to deal with them. They hate our freedoms, you see?

BunksShoshinshep83herberto

There's a Chinese Proverb "Do not swat a fly on a friend's head with a hatchet".
    Meaning Don't use extreme measures to fix a small problem

shep83silver
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Gosh @Bunks you are practically a Sith master of the dark arts ... >:)
    (boys are so naughty! - look at Trump) :p

However even if Darth Vader, we can balance the force; purification as you mention. We have soldiers here and I would welcome potential members of Islamic State who are wondering if cruelty is best thwarted by greater cruelty. (eh no ... in case you were wondering)

Ahimsa is an attitude that changes our interaction and potential. o:)

@dhammachick said:

I almost bashed a Collingwood supporter to death...... in my head

Well, it WAS the semi finals at the SCG you know :mrgreen:

Those of us with angry demons to placate, need outlets - sports, games etc. We can not change immediately, well I can't, from Angry to Metta Buddha without time and practice ... :3

Fly killing is best left to spiders. Come on you web spinners ... :)

Bunksherberto
  • SwaroopSwaroop India Veteran

@federica said:
    I had a huge fly in my house. So I chased it out of one room, and closed that door.

Are you sure you are not talking about your husband?

Kundo
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Swaroop said:

@federica said:
    I had a huge fly in my house. So I chased it out of one room, and closed that door.

Certainly not. How dare you make such an outrageous suggestion. What an insult!

(He never comes into the house but sleeps in the Garage....)

silverRuddyDuck9Kundoherberto
    edited July 2016

@federica said:

@Swaroop said:

@federica said:

Certainly not. How dare you make such an outrageous suggestion. What an insult!

(He never comes into the house but sleeps in the Garage....)

Suits the bearded bounder

@techie said:> In my experience, flies never respond well to diplomacy. A preemptive strike is the only way to deal with them. They hate our freedoms, you see?

Yeah, nuke em!

@SpinyNorman said:

@techie said:> In my experience, flies never respond well to diplomacy. A preemptive strike is the only way to deal with them. They hate our freedoms, you see?

Yeah, nuke em!

Build a wall!

lobsterShoshinRuddyDuck9herberto
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@Swaroop said:
    Build a wall!

Tee Hee.
    Only suitable for Mexican flies?

I feel it is a question of the Middle Way. Is it one fly and an opening of the window or a health hazard?

I have used incense and herbs as repellants and also an ultrasonic gizmo that you plug in ...
    http://opcoa.st/0Sq4k

Mexican fly: "Hasta la vista, I'll be back!" :p

@Swaroop said:

@SpinyNorman said:

Yeah, nuke em!

Build a wall!

Yeah...Build a wall and Trump em :wink:

• RuddyDuck9RuddyDuck9 MD, USA Veteran

@lobster did the ultrasonic doohickey thing work? Just this morning I caught a baby roach (thought it was a coffee bean, blech!! :eh: ) and tossed it with little to no decorum out the front door. I lay down repellants but they aren't as useful this year as they were last... :anguished:

That's because they're using them as a condiment, in their cruet sets....

slaps forehead there's a reason they say the roaches will still be here after the nuclear holocaust... well, them and Donald, probably. All that tanning has got to be like a vaccine against radiation at this point.

Swaroop
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@RuddyDuck9 said:
    @lobster did the ultrasonic doohickey thing work?

Perhaps. Not sure. Less of the critters, maybe. Very subjective thing. It helps.

RuddyDuck9
  • FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

Since posting notice about the small swarm of flies that visit my studio, I have started observing them more carefully. Their movements are quite intricate, like a dance almost. They fly around slowly, independently and at random, and then one of them will accelerate towards another. When they are an inch apart, the second fly accelerates as well and they spin in a tight little circle around one another, a quarter inch apart, making 4 or 5 orbits, and then - reaching escape velocity - shoot off in different directions. I have no idea what the heck they are doing - they never seem to make actual contact, so breeding seems to be a less likely explanation. Perhaps it is some dipterous form of martial arts and they are practicing mindfulness.

RuddyDuck9
    edited July 2016

@RuddyDuck9 said:
    slaps forehead there's a reason they say the roaches will still be here after the nuclear holocaust... well, them and Donald, probably. All that tanning has got to be like a vaccine against radiation at this point.

A simple humane way of trapping roaches is .....
    1) Get an old food jar (make sure it's clean)
    2) Smear Vaseline around the inner top around 30mm width this acts as a barrier, the roaches will drop in (over the Vaseline), but can't climb over it to get out
    3) It can be baited with a piece of old bread soaked in coffee
    4) Place it (or more than one if you see the roaches in more than one area) in the area where roaches are active...Ie, hotwater cylinder cupboards, back of fridge & freezer motors, under sink units, etc etc...

RuddyDuck9

(@Shoshin, you really think an illustration and wikilink are necessary for 'jar' and 'vaseline'...? How dumb do you presume we really are? Jeesh....)

RuddyDuck9

@federica said:
    (@Shoshin, you really think an illustration and wikilink are necessary for 'jar' and 'vaseline'...? How dumb do you presume we really are? Jeesh....)

Did you click on them ???

No, of course not. You're always Mrs. Bleedin' obvious!

edited August 2016

Just a thought.....a member or two (for whom English might not be their first language) may not be familiar with those two words... it could save 'them' the trouble of having to look them up...

Over the years I've found that it pays not to 'always' take things for granted... :)

If the comment is aimed at an english-speaker, it's an irrelevant point. And if they don't know what they mean, guess what? The Great God Google is equipped with dictionaries.

• @Shoshin said:

I did. I iz so useless. :3

WalkerShoshin
    edited August 2016

@lobster said:

@Shoshin said:

I did. I iz so useless. :3

A simple humane way of trapping a @lobster ... is

lobsterRuddyDuck9

Let's all touch back onto topic, now, ok?
    Thanks.

sometimes if we get lax about scooping up the crawlies and letting them outside, the schnauzer will play with them like hes a cat or something, pawing, nosing, sniffing, picking up and then tossing them... its awful but also funny... :eh: anyhow. Not much I can do about that, bc when I notice him doing it and try and get the thing out of his mouth he usually gulps it down... :-1::scream:

I don't think that's violating the precepts, except that I shouldn't think it's funny.... shrug Can't really control the pooch.