Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Tolerance of crime in the Sangha: idiot compassion?

124»

Comments

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited August 2016

@federica said:
    On the other hand, seeing as there seems to be a problematic flaw with the Guru's attitude to his responsibilities and involvement - would I want my wife's continued exposure to the guy?

Well, yes--this is the crux of the matter. In order to even realize that the guru bears some responsibility, and therefore may not be worthy of the devotion he receives, would require a level of detachment, i.e. deprogramming, that the OP hasn't attained at this point. I have the image that the OP thinks he can sort of treat the ill in the sangha by performing some very exacting surgery around the guru, but sparing the guru himself.

lobsterperson
  • I don't think we know nearly enough about the Guru to draw any valid conclusions at all, because all of the information we have comes from a deeply flawed source.

Imagine you're the Guru. Some problems arise. They are identified and resolved, perhaps with a modicum of grace and decorum, perhaps not. But then Chicken Little from Hell shows up in your office. And won't leave. And becomes inexorably more intense and insane. The Guru might well think that the most compassionate response would be to send the dear Chicken on the mustard seed mission, and give sanity a chance to take root, the sky to not fall, and the Sangha to (finally) get back to its intended mission.

lobster
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited August 2016

@Dakini said:
    A deprogramming, if we're honest. That seems to be one of the main sticking points, here.

Nailed it :+1:

PS @genkaku where's my lingering smooch? :tongue:

WalkerDairyLama
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Dakini
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@ESZ123
    One of my Tibetan teachers visits the island where I live once a month to give a Dharma talk, and this year he's been going through "The eight verses of thought transformation" are you familiar with them ?

Number "6" "When someone whom I have benefited and in whom I have great hopes gives me terrible harm, I shall regard that person as my holy guru." might be of interest to you....If you click on the above link you will find the Dalai Lama's commentary on each verse....

Metta

BunksKundo

They do say that no good deed goes unpunished.

Kundo
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

you inattentive, flirtatious Monk-ey, you!

@federica -- My inattentiveness overwhelms me. Maybe I should try Buddhism.

Kundopossibilities

@genkaku said: My inattentiveness overwhelms me.

Kundo
  • ESZ123ESZ123 Explorer

Thank you very much.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I'm caught in two minds, wether to applaud the effort of finding us a thank-you song, or call attention to the lyrics.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2016

Couldn't make them out. Probably just as well.... Is one to presume, @ESZ123, that you are bowing out...?

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

The gist of the lyrics are "thank you very much but no thanks I can handle this myself"

Best of luck to the OP - I hope he finds some peace and resolution <3

Shoshin
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2016

@Bunks said:
    The gist of the lyrics are "thank you very much but no thanks I can handle this myself"

Best of luck to the OP - I hope he finds some peace and resolution <3

Thank you.... Patently not. After 3 4 pages of back and forth, we obviously have not provided the required response.

However, I like you, hope for some positive resolution, but can't help thinking it would come sooner, if the OP were to listen, instead of fight.
    I will presume then, that this is done and dusted, Unless, as usual, the OP advises me otherwise. And as usual, I will be happy to comply....

Many, many thanks to all for their stoic and solid efforts. Well done everyone. And no loss of temper to be seen. You guys do me proud.

lobsterSwaroopkarasti
This discussion has been closed.