Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Spiritual practice

misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a HinduIndia Veteran

It seems to me that the essence of spiritual practice is - don't hold on to anything or let go of everything.

upekka

Comments

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

"Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya" "Nothing whatsoever should be clung to"

upekkaRuddyDuck9namarupamisecmisc1
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Shoshin sums it up, @misecmisc1 ...

• RuddyDuck9RuddyDuck9 MD, USA Veteran

every day I disapoint myself with some silly desire or other, and when I feel sad or bad about it, then I think... ogh! there's that dhukka again!

• namarupanamarupa Veteran
    edited August 2016

Sometimes I feel there is a point that is overlooked. Contentment and equanimity can be the result as well as how to practice. I feel the same way with "letting go", it can be a result as well as the practice itself. What am I missing?

@namarupa I don't think you're missing anything!

namarupa
  • namarupanamarupa Veteran
    edited August 2016

@RuddyDuck9 said:
    @namarupa I don't think you're missing anything!

Thank you. ;) Its making more sense now. Buddhist practice is the most wise and benevolent investment. You get what you put in if not more. :chuffed:

RuddyDuck9lobster
  • Remember - non-attachment does not mean 'giving up on life', it is in fact, giving up our ignorant attachment to the permanency of emotions, good/bad vibe, the perfect fish ice cream with anchiovy flakes :3 (I iz so badly attached to lobsterian tendencies) Donald 'Hilary' Trumpet for Emperor of Mexico etc.

Intense living is OK for us lay Buddhists BUT so much more to not have a cow over ... ;)

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@misecmisc1 said:
    It seems to me that the essence of spiritual practice is - don't hold on to anything or let go of everything.

Quite right! Must finish off that ice-cream, no point in hanging on to it. :p

RuddyDuck9Kundo
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited August 2016

@SpinyNorman said:

@misecmisc1 said:

Quite right! Must finish off that ice-cream, no point in hanging on to it. :p

^^^ may be the only thing between you and Nirvana is ice-cream - please let go of that ice-cream - enough of reading the texts, i will like to have a one-on-one discussion between me being a deluded confused being and you being an Enlightened being.

I will ask the Dairy Lama if he can visit, but it will depend on his shifts at Tesco. He may give a teaching on the Tantric Trinity of Neapolitan, or perhaps on the Pristine Purity of vanilla ice-cream.

@SpinyNorman is Neapolitan a good symbolic ice cream for the middle way?

Yes, that is certainly one interpretation, the Pristine Purity of vanilla is the middle one of the three in the Tantric Trinity of Neapolitan. As the Dairy Lama has said: "Good on the left, good on the right, but even better in the middle." :p

• Ever had a Neapolitan milk shake? Its like eating three different ice creams with one hand. :)

Ah, the merging of the Tantric Trinity. That sounds like an advanced practice, I shall ask the Dairy Lama when he is next on shift at Tesco. :)