Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mother Nature's Unpredictability

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

Well this morning there was a big earthquake 7.1 just off the the east coast of the North Island, tsunami warning were put in place all along the coast and was lifted earlier today...No major damage, some people were shaken awake (I didn't feel a thing) ...

There's only so much one can do regarding preparing for the big one...

However around two thousand years ago the ancient Chinese had invented an earthquake detector

I guess obtaining and maintaining an inner peace, is about the best preparation one could have...

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    edited September 2016

Ah yes, over here we have bushfires whereas you Kiwi's live with the constant threat of earthquakes (and possibly volcanoes).

Glad everyone is ok.

Have you been to the exhibition at Auckland Museum where they mimic what it would be like if Rangitoto erupted? It's pretty cool. Not one for the little kiddies!

Shoshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@Bunks said:
    Ah yes, over here we have bushfires whereas you Kiwi's live with the constant threat of earthquakes (and possibly volcanoes).

Glad everyone is ok.

Have you been to the exhibition at Auckland Museum where they mimic what it would be like if Rangitoto erupted? It's pretty cool. Not one for the little kiddies!

Not sure, it's been a long time since I've visited the museum, so if it's been there for a while I might have done... ... However I pass Rangitoto every time I catch the ferry to Auckland ...Auckland as you know is full of volcanoes...

And yes bushfires are a big worry for Aussies....Hope Mother Nature's kind to you all this summer....

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Shoshin said:
    Well this morning there was a big earthquake 7.1 just off the the east coast of the North Island, tsunami warning were put in place all along the coast and was lifted earlier today...No major damage, some people were shaken awake (I didn't feel a thing) ...

There's only so much one can do regarding preparing for the big one...

However around two thousand years ago the ancient Chinese had invented an earthquake detector

I guess obtaining and maintaining an inner peace, is about the best preparation one could have...

Good there was no tsunami. Do you have detection buoy thingies out at sea?

• @Shoshin said:

Yep.
    We follow the Buddhas Path because it serves us well in life, in disaster, dukkha and in joy ...

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:

Good there was no tsunami. Do you have detection buoy thingies out at sea?

Yes..,

• Oh, Mother Nature is quite predictable. Just not on the scale we would like.

Shoshin