Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

testing ego

bear with me

this thought came while i have been reading the responses to threads

after we have written and posted a response we can check how much ego in it

once i post this i will do the same thing and try to see how much ego in this post and see whether this is a good test

lobsterBunksShoshin

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Ah yes. Much ego in my post on the free gift post earlier.
    I will blame it on the flu like symptoms I woke up with this morning.
    Or is that just my ego getting in the way again?

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

When the topic of 'ego' crops up (which seems to be the central theme in Buddhist discussion) ..."I" am reminded of this quote...

"One is simple one's experience.One's ego is the abstraction from these experiences.Ones ego should be viewed as a convenient analytic device !"

And where this active description best suits ego's involvement ...

It can be either "Envious Grasping Obsessive Or Empathic Generous Obliging"

• Ego is pretty much in the driver's seat when one is either defending one's position or view.

lobster
  • Well said @pegembara

Luckily my opinion is mostly indefensible ... and when stated usually 'only me'

• upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited September 2016

@Shoshin said:
    One's ego is the abstraction from these experiences.

Thanks @Shosin

you showed me the whole OP is full of ego

by the way if i am not poking my nose too much, were you a monk? or are you a monk?

BunksShoshinlobster
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited September 2016

@upekka said:

by the way if i am not poking my nose too much, were you a monk? or are you a monk?

I'm 'nun ' of the above :) ... I just have a vested interest in the "Dharma" (I'm female btw :) )

lobsterDairyLamaBunks
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

It takes a prick to defeat a windbag....

namarupa
  • after we have written and posted a response we can check how much ego in it

once i post this i will do the same thing and try to see how much ego in this post and see whether this is a good test

B)

Every reaction or interaction is an expression of self. We get exasperated by our expectations, by interference to our preferred activity, by ... life ...

That is the jibber-jabber facebook, phone checking, mirror preening existence. Moving from one dukkha to the next.

How to be independent? Calm? At peace?

If anyone says 'the Middle Way' ... how to react?

upekka
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Interacting with a forum is a complex thing... On the one hand you are discussing the dharma, a good thing, but on the other you are pushing forward your opinion, which may speak of ego and selfishness. And sometimes it's about being admired for your wisdom, lol. You have to sort the skilful from the unskillful, and try to do the best you can for yourself and others.

lobsterupekkaBunks
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2016

Do not search for the truth;
    only cease to cherish opinions

Good site.

But that's just my opinion. ;)

lobsterupekka
  • I actually feel safer posting my opinions because it actually gives me a chance to proofread and reflect on anatta. If it was a face to face conversation, I wouldn't feel so sure that everything I say is going to sound polite or on point.

lobsterupekka
  • Exactly @namarupa
    We have an opportunity to analyse, reflect, ponder, slow down ...

... of course the twitterati and instagram generation, share with barely a pause ...

... so it is optional ...