Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Bread and Puppet

2»

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited September 2016

@SpinyNorman said:

@person said:

@SpinyNorman said:

@person said:> For myself, I experience the "vibes" of a particular place. Being in a location for a while will have an effect on my own mind quite seemingly aside from any sensory info. So from my own experience I can buy into a sort of local effect.

I experience something similar, like my state of mind seems in tune with the location. But it's difficult to say whether that is anything more than a psychological response.

I ask myself the same thing and I think I can be confident in saying it is something more than the difference between being in nature and being in the city. I work on and in people's homes and if I'm there for several days I find my thoughts and feelings change according to the vibes and then back again on the weekends or when I have time off. When a project is outside I find I'm not as affected, like people aren't around as much to infuse the area with their vibes. Also, I will sometimes work in total remodel projects where things all look the same from one project to the next which seems to rule out differing colors or decor. It's only personal data but the sample size is large and varied enough that it seems like I can rule out many ordinary environmental and psychological causes.

Clearly our environment effects our state of mind, so I don't see how you can "rule out" environmental and psychological causes.

A piece of music or a landscape view effects our state of mind. All sorts of experiences effect our state of mind, but what is the basis for assuming something spooky?

Because of the specificity of the effects, it goes beyond feeling better or worse. Its like my general mood will become angrier or depressed or motivated and specific types of thoughts and dreams I never have come. Also, the environments are at times varied and similar enough with effects that seem unrelated.

At any rate, I don't really think there is any way I could convince a skeptical argument because it is only my own subjective and anecdotal data. But I don't know how to explain it, because it truly does go beyond hearing a piece of music or being surrounded by nature, I would need to be convinced otherwise. I only brought it up to say to @Will_Baker that I can personally see something of what he is saying.

lobster
  • Will_BakerWill_Baker Vermont Veteran
    edited September 2016

So you're saying the brain creates low frequency waves that merge together and interact in some way?
    -Current science shows the brain can send/receive information this way. I would view this as a local (read:global) form of communication.

As I referenced at the top of this thread, I also believe some form of quantum messaging probably exists. This would be long-distance (read:universal) communication:
    http://www.sciencealert.com/physicists-just-sent-a-quantum-message-almost-2km-setting-a-new-record

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Will_Baker said:
    So you're saying the brain creates low frequency waves that merge together and interact in some way?
    -Current science shows the brain can send/receive information this way. I would view this a local (read:global) communication.

As I referenced at the top of this thread, I also believe a form of quantum messaging probably exists. This would be long-distance (read:universal) communication:
    http://www.sciencealert.com/physicists-just-sent-a-quantum-message-almost-2km-setting-a-new-record

It's interesting to explore ideas, but I think you are indulging in an awful lot of wishful thinking here.

@SpinyNorman said:

@Will_Baker said:
    -Current science shows the brain can send/receive information this way. I would view this a local (read:global) communication.

As I referenced at the top of this thread, I also believe a form of quantum messaging probably exists. This would be long-distance (read:universal) communication:

It's interesting to explore ideas, but I think you are indulging in an awful lot of wishful thinking here.

-How so?

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

@Will_Bakker;

Wishful thinking implies that you already have your desired conclusion and are trying to fit the facts instead of following the facts or evidence to a natural conclusion or hypothesis.

If it turns out that there is this broader organism how would it change your life or practice?

lobster
    edited September 2016

@David said:
    @Will_Bakker;

Wishful thinking implies that you already have your desired conclusion and are trying to fit the facts instead of following the facts or evidence to a natural conclusion or hypothesis.

If it turns out that there is this broader organism how would it change your life or practice?

Well, The facts are what they are and the truth is what it is. Science is progressing, the knowledge base is growing, and as to the contents of this thread, time will tell...

If there is a broader organism, my practice wouldn't change much. I was born, I am growing old, I will get sick and I will die. There is suffering in my life and there is a way to alleviate it. This wouldn't change.

As to my life in general, I believe knowledge is a good thing, as is situational awareness. If I thought the earth was flat, it seems to me there wouldn't be much harm in figuring out it was round...

David
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

@Will_Baker said:

@David said:
    @Will_Bakker;

Well, The facts are what they are and the truth is what it is. Science is progressing, the knowledge base is growing, and as to the contents of this thread, time will tell...

If there is a broader organism, my practice wouldn't change much. I was born, I am growing old, I will get sick and I will die. There is suffering in my life and there is a way to alleviate it. This wouldn't change.

As to my life in general, I believe knowledge is a good thing, as is situational awareness. If I thought the earth was flat, it seems to me there wouldn't be much harm in figuring out it was round...

That's pretty much how I look at it and see nothing wrong with wondering about the nature of the unborn as long as we stay clear of conjecture and remain agnostic.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@person said:

@SpinyNorman said:

@person said:

@SpinyNorman said:

@person said:> For myself, I experience the "vibes" of a particular place. Being in a location for a while will have an effect on my own mind quite seemingly aside from any sensory info. So from my own experience I can buy into a sort of local effect.

I experience something similar, like my state of mind seems in tune with the location. But it's difficult to say whether that is anything more than a psychological response.

I ask myself the same thing and I think I can be confident in saying it is something more than the difference between being in nature and being in the city. I work on and in people's homes and if I'm there for several days I find my thoughts and feelings change according to the vibes and then back again on the weekends or when I have time off. When a project is outside I find I'm not as affected, like people aren't around as much to infuse the area with their vibes. Also, I will sometimes work in total remodel projects where things all look the same from one project to the next which seems to rule out differing colors or decor. It's only personal data but the sample size is large and varied enough that it seems like I can rule out many ordinary environmental and psychological causes.

Clearly our environment effects our state of mind, so I don't see how you can "rule out" environmental and psychological causes.

A piece of music or a landscape view effects our state of mind. All sorts of experiences effect our state of mind, but what is the basis for assuming something spooky?

Because of the specificity of the effects, it goes beyond feeling better or worse. Its like my general mood will become angrier or depressed or motivated and specific types of thoughts and dreams I never have come. Also, the environments are at times varied and similar enough with effects that seem unrelated.

At any rate, I don't really think there is any way I could convince a skeptical argument because it is only my own subjective and anecdotal data. But I don't know how to explain it, because it truly does go beyond hearing a piece of music or being surrounded by nature, I would need to be convinced otherwise. I only brought it up to say to @Will_Baker that I can personally see something of what he is saying.

OK. Part of my practice is observing states of mind, and it is a real mess in there, different layers, continually changing and shifting. Sometimes I can see how and why things arise, but often it is changing too quickly to follow the connections.

lobster