Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism By Country

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

The last I heard Aotearoa (New Zealand with a population of just under four and half million) had around 40,000 people who identify as Buddhists ( 1.6% of the population) ... However there are many closeted Buddhists living here (closeted as in people who follow the Buddha Dharma 'as best as they can' but don't identify themselves as "Buddhists" :) )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_by_country

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Interesting.....Buddhism claims to be the second largest religion in Australia but I reckon the Muslims might have something to say about that :)

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I was surprised to see Nepal at only 10.3% and India at 0.8%, though India still has the 9th highest total population number of Buddhists. A few Middle Eastern countries like the UAE, Qatar and Kuwait were in the 2-3% range, probably immigrant workers.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

It seems like it would be really hard to track. It's not like countries have a standard, comparable method to ask people about religion, and it's not like a lot of people don't skip that question when asked. I assume our records in the US come from probably the census information. But what about Myanmar? Or Bhutan? I'd be interested to know just out of curiosity how they track that stuff.

Vastmind
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

0.4% in the UK, it's really taking off here! :p

Tara1978
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@David said:
    Hey, I'm finally part of the 1%.

I can do better, I'm part of the 0.2%!