Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Pastafarianism

The Flying Spaghetti Monster is the deity of a parody religion[1] founded in 2005 by Oregon State University physics graduate Bobby Henderson to protest against the decision by the Kansas State Board of Education to require the teaching of intelligent design as an alternative to biological evolution. In an open letter[2][3] sent to the education board, Henderson professes belief in a supernatural Creator called the Flying Spaghetti Monster, which resembles spaghetti and meatballs. He furthermore calls for the "Pastafarian" theory of creation to be taught in science classrooms, essentially invoking a reductio ad absurdum argument against the teaching of intelligent design.[4][5] Followers of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (FSM) call themselves Pastafarians, a portmanteau of pasta and Rastafarian.

Because of its recent popularity and media exposure, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is used by atheists (known by Pastafarians as "spagnostic"), such as Richard Dawkins, as a modern version of Russell's teapot.[6]

Beliefs
Henderson proposed many of the beliefs in reaction to common arguments by proponents of intelligent design.[5] These are the canonical beliefs set forth by Henderson:[7]

* An invisible and undetectable Flying Spaghetti Monster created the universe, including a mountain, trees and a midget (spelled "midgit").

* All evidence for evolution was planted by the Flying Spaghetti Monster. The FSM tests Pastafarians' faith by making things look older than they are (q.v. Omphalos). "For example, a scientist may perform a carbon-dating process on an artifact. He finds that approximately 75% of the Carbon-14 has decayed by electron emission to Nitrogen-14, and infers that this artifact is approximately 11,000 years old, as the half-life of Carbon-14 appears to be 5,730 years. But what our scientist does not realize is that every time he makes a measurement, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is there changing the results with His Noodly Appendage. We have numerous texts that describe in detail how that can be possible and the reasons why He does this. He is of course invisible and can pass through normal matter with ease."

* The Pastafarian belief of heaven stresses two points. "A) It has beer volcanos as far as the eye can see & B) It has a stripper factory."[7]

* The religious text of the Pastafarian religion is called the Loose Canon. In place of the ten commandments, it contains eight "I'd Really Rather You Didn'ts", with a looser moral code.

* "RAmen" is the official conclusion to prayers, certain sections of The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and so on, and is a portmanteau of the Semitic term "Amen" (used in Judaism, Christianity, and Islam) and Ramen, a noodle. While it is typically spelled with both a capital "R" and "A", it is also acceptable to spell it with only a capital R.

The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
In December 2005, Bobby Henderson received a reported USD $80,000 advance to pen The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Henderson said he plans to use the proceeds from the sale of the book to build a pirate ship, with which he may travel the world in order to convert heathens to the Pastafarian religion.[8] The book was released on March 28, 2006 (ISBN 0-8129-7656-8).

The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is the Pastafarian equivalent of the Bible. It parodies biblical figures with characters such as Captain Mosey, a pirate and the FSM equivalent of Moses. The Gospel contains The Eight "I'd Really Rather You Didn'ts", parodying the Ten Commandments.

The Eight "I'd Really Rather You Didn'ts"
1. I'd really rather you didn't act like a sanctimonious holier-than-thou ass when describing my noodly goodness. If some people don't believe in me, that's okay. Really, I'm not that vain. Besides, this isn't about them so don't change the subject.
2. I'd really rather you didn't use my existence as a means to oppress, subjugate, punish, eviscerate, and/or, you know, be mean to others. I don't require sacrifices, and purity is for drinking water, not people.
3. I'd really rather you didn't judge people for the way they look, or how they dress, or the way they talk, or, well, just play nice, Okay? Oh, and get this in your thick heads: woman = person. man = person. Samey = Samey. One is not better than the other, unless we're talking about fashion and I'm sorry, but I gave that to women and some guys who know the difference between teal and fuchsia.
4. I'd really rather you didn't indulge in conduct that offends yourself, or your willing, consenting partner of legal age AND mental maturity. As for anyone who might object, I think the expression is go f*** yourself, unless they find that offensive in which case they can turn off the TV for once and go for a walk for a change.
5. I'd really rather you didn't challenge the bigoted, misogynist, hateful ideas of others on an empty stomach. Eat, then go after the b*******.
6. I'd really rather you didn't build multi million-dollar churches/temples/mosques/shrines to my noodly goodness when the money could be better spent (take your pick):

1. Ending poverty
2. Curing diseases
3. Living in peace, loving with passion, and lowering the cost of cable
I might be a complex-carbohydrate omniscient being, but I enjoy the simple things in life. I ought to know. I AM the creator.

7. I'd really rather you didn't go around telling people I talk to you. You're not that interesting. Get over yourself. And I told you to love your fellow man, can't you take a hint?
8. I'd really rather you didn't do unto others as you would have them do unto you if you are into, um, stuff that uses a lot of leather/lubricant/Las Vegas. If the other person is into it, however (pursuant to #4), then have at it, take pictures, and for the love of Mike, wear a CONDOM! honestly, it's a piece of rubber. If I didn't want it to feel good when you did it I would have added spikes, or something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pastafarian

I must say. Though it is only is a mock philosophy, I find it to be more rational than any prestigious, organized religion. Imagine if this would had taken over the West instead of Christianity.

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited April 2007
    This is, of course, only a spin-off from Puddhism, a non-theistic devotion to all forms of Pudding, based on the teachings of Sticky Puddha.

I]Do you find that disrespectful? If so, ask yourself how respectful it is to poke fun at a set of beliefs that arose among an impoverished population abandoned by their slave owners.[/I
  • edited April 2007
    Do you find that disrespectful?

Not in the least. This Pastafarianism seems to have replaced an atheist favorite, the Invisible Pink Unicorn religion. I am glad that people are willing to speak out against the teaching of Intelligent Design (Creationism in disguise) in public schools. We shouldn't sacrifice truth and reason for the sake of common courteousy towards mythology.
    If so, ask yourself how respectful it is to poke fun at a set of beliefs that arose among an impoverished population abandoned by their slave owners

I suppose you are referring to Christianity here. If not, please correct me if I am wrong. I don't think the original memebers of Christianity are the ones being satirized here. Instead, it is the grossly rampant union of church and state. I don't believe that religion should somehow be immune to criticism. And if the God of Abraham can't stand up against something as silly as the Flying Spaghetti Monster, then the future of religion is quite bleak.
  • edited April 2007
    My bad. I think you were referring to Rastfarianism. Either way, the fact remains that God, Allah, and any other made up big brother in the sky needs to go the same way that Zeus and Thor did. Right into the Mythology books.

And just because Rastafarianism did arise from impoverished slaves, this does not in the least grant any credibility to it's doctrines.

Do you find the beliefs of Pastafarianism or Puddhism to be any less legitimate than say Christianity or Islam? If not, why?
    edited April 2007
    Indeed, KoB, I was referring to Rastafari and not to Christianity, despite the Roman view of Christianity as a 'slave religion', or Judaism, which rejoices in its slave origins.

The question of the 'legitimacy' of the belief system is not what is at issue, it is a matter of how we speak of something (person or beliefs) of deep personal importance to a number of people. Personally, I do not happen to believe that the late emperor of Abyssinia is a deity but I would not consider it respectful to parody it in this way.

I am aware that this is not of your inventing but a 'funny' construction by a college student to satirise literalist 'creationism'. It is, however, unfortunate that your comments come so close on the heels of the commemoration of the abolition of the transAtlantic slave trade by the British Parliament, and our brief discussion here about Rastafari.

I am also aware that there is a deep (and understandable) denial of our inherited guilt at the institution of slavery, the economic base of the current wealth and power of both the US and the UK. Much easier to 'black up' and sing Swanee as if our slaves and their disinherited descendants were simply vaudeville turns.
    edited April 2007
    Having just re-read what I have posted, I realise that it is more than a touch 'waspish'.

My problem is that, in a country with a rising level of anti-Semitism as well as other xenophobias, I am too reminded of the way in which minorities are derided and parodied as a prelude to persecution. Parody and insult have become the common currency of debate around belief systems in which the parodist/insulter does not believe.

To take a page out of Elohim/Jason's book, I would point out that Buddhism does not poke fun at anyone else's beliefs, which is why we have a forum welcoming other religions here.
  • edited April 2007

My problem is that, in a country with a rising level of anti-Semitism as well as other xenophobias, I am too reminded of the way in which minorities are derided and parodied as a prelude to persecution.

I think you are referring to America, but I am not sure. But I must disagree. It is far more socailly acceptable in America to be Jewish or homosexual than it is to be an atheist. Atheists are quite the minority in America and are not particularly active politically mostly because there is nothing to unite them besides disbelief in a supernatural being. Representation for atheists in America is stark. Pete Stark that is. :tongue2: The California Democrat Pete Stark is the first ever self-proclaimed atheist to ever hold a seat in Congress. Last I heard, he is still the only one. So I don't understand your comment about bullying minorities.
    Parody and insult have become the common currency of debate around belief systems in which the parodist/insulter does not believe.

It is sad in America that a mere objection to common religious doctrine is immediately an insult and disrespectful. Parody, satire, and comedy as I have always said, is the surest check to corruption and bigotry. The New Atheists as some of the more outspoken are called, (Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, and the creator of Pastafarianism) are not restricting the rights of minorities. They are not beheading people for imaginary crimes like heresy and blasphemy. They are not waging holy wars in the hopes of religious domination. They are not trying to ban religion or throw the country into some type of Soviet style culture.

No, instead they are making a valid objection to what they (and I) see as iron age stupidity. Absolute faith without evidence. The subversion of science in America and the social imprisonment of women in the Arab world. The grossly vast treasures and lavish lifestyles of religious leaders whilst the peasants suffer. The ever entangling union between the church and state, and top military leaders using the Bible as a guide in the elusive War on Terror. One looks at this rationally and reasonably objects. Yet this automatically makes them a fascist, disrespectful, insulting, and hateful.

If not reasonable objection, discussion, and plain calling of a spade, how else would you suggest we deal with the problems of religion. It would be a travesty after all to see human civilization destroy itself over a discrepancy in holy books when plain speeking could have prevented it.
  • edited April 2007
    Oops. You're from the UK. But I still stand by what I said about America.
  • edited May 2007
    lol spegetti monster... funny stuff
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited June 2007
    This is hilarious. Perhaps I should drop all my other beliefs and take up this one. As it is, I, especially, keep making all sorts of mistakes lately.

I think I'll bow out from making any more posts or PMs for a few weeks, as I can't even seem to keep the threads distinct. I hope the pesky bad bacteria aren't taking up a permanent address in my brain. (Omigosh, they wouldn't dare, would they?)

Best of regards to All,

Nirvy.

EDIT: Gosh, folks, I am REALLY losing it. Under Quick Links, I saw, "Change OPTIONS," and for a moment I thought I could press the magic button and change all the OPINIONS ever expressed by me on this forum to the politically correct ones I should be held accountable to having.

Anyhow, there is so much wonderful stuff to read on this forum, it would probably just be a good practice for me just to read and keep me Yapper Shut.

Much Love and Peace to ALL,

Fondly, Nirvy
    edited June 2007
    Get well soon, Nirvana.
    edited June 2007
    :smilec:
    edited April 2009
    Me LOVE pasta! Carbs are the best. Just ordered my copy of the Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster! Can't wait for all the revelations.

In the interim, I found the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster homepage
    by clicking on the words I LIKE PASTA or, if you prefer you can choose the
    I'm in for Never-Ending Pasta Bliss option. Either way, you'll be at the threshold
    of a great doorway to carbohydrate heaven.

Fun Blogs all round. Spare the bread, and eat spaghetti!

Oops, sorry for the too posts in a r o w. Some noodley appendages made me due it.
  • edited April 2009
    My secret is out! I have been privately worshipping His Noodliness for some time now

:D
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2009
    I wouldn't want to be part of any religion that would accept me as a member.

Palzang