Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

No shortage of iron in their diet?

What is the nature of the trance state that allows this to take place?

The tears do not bleed and heal without any scarring afterward.

And no, these are not CGI, the trance mediums are devotees of the
"Nine Emperor Gods" and undergo IIANM a period of fasting / vegetarian
diet prior to the reception of the deity, usually at a nearby river bank or
the sea.

Picture via today's print edition of Sin Chew Daily, more pix online, see
also:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_Emperor_Gods_Festival

http://news.asiaone.com/news/lifestyle/glittering-procession-penang-nine-emperor-gods

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Reading the articles, it does not suggest they do not bleed. It talks about how people are walking around full of bandages in the days afterwards, and in the pictures, people are bleeding, and even in this one it sure looks like the guy is wiping up the blood that is dripping off the guy's face.

Whatever the trance is I wouldn't know, as it is not a Buddhist practice. Seems odd to me that people do such things to venerate gods and ancestors. Not really my thing. I'll keep my meditation cushion and put flowers at my relative's graves instead.

lobsterVastmind
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

It reminds me of the Hindu festival of "Taipusan" which I witness when visiting an island off the coast of Malacca (Pankor Island) back in the early 1980s ...The participates fast for 3 days and then they go into a trance like state and then the holy man 'blesses' them and then others start to poke spikes and rods through their flesh, some pulled carts attached to their backs by meat hooks...It was an amazing thing to see....

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I'm not so sure it is an entirely healthy thing to do... it seems almost like bravado, look what I can do with my body. Definitely an odd thing to do.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

Everybody needs a hobby I guess.

No scarring or blood?

I don't buy it.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Perhaps it's just a matter of Mind over Matter.....The mind is wonder full....

• @David said:
    Everybody needs a hobby I guess.

No scarring or blood?

I don't buy it.

That would be one way to prove that Form is Emptiness.

• Wot fun! All we have in the UK is Morris dancing (don't ask).

If you are interested in Santeira or spirit possesion, then you can find similar in Dharma but really ... most of us have a cushion for our fantastic voyage into and preferably out of entrancement ...

I regularly use hypnosis videos from Youtube. However trance practices and induction, whilst impressing the yokels, children and the easily distracted (lobster puts up impressed claw) is very superficial dharma at best ... Did you wish to be a wizard?

... and now back to the next cycle ...