Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Compassion, Weakness, and the 2016 Election

personperson Don't believe everything you thinkThe liminal space Veteran

This short vlog really sums up my feelings on the trend towards nationalism and protectionism we've been seeing. Not only in the US but with Brexit too.

lobstersilverShoshinVastmind

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I wrote a long comment. I then deleted it, because on listening again, my response was not entirely related to what he had in fact actually said. And in hindsight, I should have listened better, because what he actually says, makes sense.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Who is that 'kid' in the video? He should be elected President. Nice speech there, fellow.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

@silver said:
    Who is that 'kid' in the video? He should be elected President. Nice speech there, fellow.

Hank Green. You might know his brother John Green, the author of Fault in our Stars and Paper Towns. They have a YouTube channel together where they switch off doing video blogs. They also created an education channel called Crash Course that does lots of topics like history, physics, government, philosophy, etc.

They also run a charity that harnesses the power of "nerdfighters" (people who use knowledge and intelligence) to combat "Worldsuck".

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Thanks for the info, @person. I will definitely check them out on YT. I wish this were the kind of thing my son would've found on line instead of games all the time. They sound great.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    edited October 2016

They have a lot of great stuff on youtube. Their user name is the vlogbrothers. John Green is the guy who made the famous "this is why health care costs so much in the US" video that went viral a couple years ago.

There is a lot of great stuff online, including courses for free from MIT and other such institutions.

lobster
  • And also New Buddhist.

yagrBunksVastmind
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I have actually read it elsewhere. It lft me stunned and utterly overwhelmed.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Here's his brother from the spring in Literally Hitler.

• Thanks @Link

Child abuse takes many forms. As segregationists, Dereck Black's parents were doing their best to educate and protect their beloved child from Jews, Catholics, Mexicans, hateful Buddhists, militant vegans, liberal poets, ignorant Jihadhi, disabled transvestites, popular media, Klingons and lying women etc.

They did their best, just as our parents may raise us to be fearful, hateful, ignorant, naughty, outsiders, geeks, billionaires, Jedi etc. ... Or if fortunate [insert favoured qualities] ...

If we have managed to rise above our conditioning to any degree, bravo. If we believe something strongly, we can examine the nature of its arising. Often emotion bypasses our equinimity.

... and now back to the vote for compassion ...