Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Does anyone wear a kara and practise buddism

I wear a kara bangle which is ( Sikh religion ) it symbolises God is one just wanna know if anyone that's Buddhist / Hinduism like me wears one ?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

We tend to gravitate more towards malas, particularly round the wrist....They're not representative of any Deity or Buddha, but they aid in Mantra recitation.

Most Buddhists don't consider (any) God to be part of any equation, though of course, you are perfectly welcome to incorporate whatever you want, into any type of practice you feel is of benefit to you....

BunksBuddhadragon
  • Dalia2016Dalia2016 London New

Hi sorry I didn't really understand the first paragraph ?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Buddhists have malas. They have multiple of 9 beads, a full mala having 108... smaller malas can be worn around the wrist. They don't symbolise Buddha, or any God(s) but help us count mantras, which are recitations of certain phrases dedicated to Spiritual Beings, intended to inspire and support us.

Hope that's better. :)

Bunks
  • Dalia2016Dalia2016 London New

Yes it did thank you

• @Dalia2016 said:
    I wear a kara bangle which is ( Sikh religion ) it symbolises God is one just wanna know if anyone that's Buddhist / Hinduism like me wears one ?

My local Sikh temple, I have visited on only three or four occasions ...

If God is One, then everything is part of that oneness. Apart from special occasions I don't wear jewellery. I like to wear nothing but a smile, unfortunately this can lead to misunderstanding ... =)

Of the five K of Sikhism, worn by those initiated to the military order, not many appeal.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/sikhism/customs/fiveks.shtml
    I have long hair, no underpants and a wooden comb if that is of any interest ... I also use an athame (a modified handmade letter opener) instead of a vajra/dorge on my shrine ... In Tantra, Bell and vajra are important symbols. My hand made bell went to a trainee monk, so my current shrine bell is Hindu.

• newlotusnewlotus Australia Explorer

I find the deity Tara helps me the most. To help remind me I have a Tara medallion on a necklace which I wear all the time. If I'm stressed or needing help I play with it and focus on the matra. Helps ground and calm me.

BunkslobsterKundoBuddhadragon
  • @newlotus said:
    Helps ground and calm me.

B) It is the first useful aspect of dharma and takes many forms. Some of us with chanting or meditation practice can focuss and ground on breath or mantra. @SpinyNorman grounds on physical sensations, for example the butterflies in the stomach or tightness in the chest or shoulders. These are the techniques that enable a pragmatic dharma. Real situations, real practices, real benefits. :)

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited October 2016

@lobster said:
    I also use an athame (a modified handmade letter opener).............

The former Wiccan in me just had a chuckle at that :lol:

• smarinosmarino florida Explorer
    edited October 2016

I've been a practicing Zen Buddhist for over 20 years and have never even heard of one of these things until now. if I haven't needed it these last two decades, I guess I can get by w/o one now.

I'm surprised you've never heard of a mala... a Zen Buddhist monk gave me my first one.. he used one all the time....

http://buddhazen101.tumblr.com/post/34392552726/zen-instructions-for-using-the-mala-although

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

I wear a mala round my wrist, a Tara medallion, and a Buddha and Kuan Yin pendant.
    The mala, in order to keep it handy for mantra recitation.
    The other symbols, because I am a green Tara and Kuan Yin devout.
    The Buddha, well, because I am Buddhist

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

I wear a small jade Kuan Yin pendant, a mala (I make them) so I can meditate when I need to (which is a lot lately :neutral: ) and a long chain with a small buddha and some saints medallions (my Dad's a Catholic and I love him for what they were gifted for).

But as I get older, I try to wear less jewellery. I'd **like* to say it's for some spiritually wise reason, but I'm just getting lazy :tongue:

_ /\ _