Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A Zen garden, an Oak Tree, and Reincarnation

I might have mentioned a bad summer storm knocked over my huge old oak tree in my back yard, which took down my privacy fence and landed on the roof of the house next door. Fortunately for me, but I imagine the guy who owned the house next door had a different view.

Anyway, after paying someone to cut and haul most of the tree away, I was left with a stump tipped over but half the roots still in the sandy ground. I decided to leave the stump to be a feature of the Zen garden I'm creating next year. By the time I had my privacy fence repaired, the stump of this 180 year old tree (I counted the rings) had thrown up new shoots. Life strives to survive. I have a lot of work to do on the garden next year. Paint the fence, put in a path and water feature, etc. But this tree will be an important fixture somehow.

So in meditation yesterday, I was looking at the stump and realized this is an illustration of reincarnation and I'm calling this the Reincarnation Tree. Look at the picture, and ask yourself, as the new shoots turn into branches and then a new trunk:

Will it be the same tree, or a different tree? What's your answer?

The old oak sends out new shoots, heedless of the coming winter.

lobsterShoshinFosdickVastmindWalker

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@Cinorjer said:

(http://newbuddhist.com/uploads/editor/go/464tnlubbhqj.jpg "")

So in meditation yesterday, I was looking at the stump and realized this is an illustration of reincarnation and I'm calling this the Reincarnation Tree. Look at the picture, and ask yourself, as the new shoots turn into branches and then a new trunk:

The old oak sends out new shoots, heedless of the coming winter.

It will be the same as in a "tree" but different as in the recycled materials that will come together to regrow it...

Just as "I" am every other "I" that has ever lived, "I" will to be the same "I" as "I" always have been...and "I" will continually be "recycled"

"Consciousness needs an "I" to spy upon itself-but this elusive "I" (like the oak tree) is cloaked in stealth !"

Cinorjer
  • When an oak falls in a forest, do its friends hear it scream?

How wonderful. A zen garden grown from an event.

CinorjerVastmind
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran

A zen garden, an oak tree and reincarnation walk into a bar, The oak tree says to the bartender, "I'll have a six pack of fence posts and some well planed boards". The bartendender says, "That's not how it works". Reincarnation laughs and elbows the zen garden, who seemed not to be interested.

CinorjerShoshinJeroenVastmind
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Lovely story, although from a practical standpoint I have to point out that the new oak tree shoots seem to be intent on either becoming part of or growing through the privacy fence. You might want to consider where you want your new tree...

• @Kerome said:
    Lovely story, although from a practical standpoint I have to point out that the new oak tree shoots seem to be intent on either becoming part of or growing through the privacy fence. You might want to consider where you want your new tree...

It's the perspective, mostly. The stump itself is touching the fence, though. But yeah, once I'm gone the next owner of the house will probably take one look and have the stump removed completely. I like it there, but then again I get strange looks when I tell people it's staying. And the dogs like to climb on the root ball and look over the fence and bark at the neighborhood.

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

@Cinorjer said:

A different same tree. =)

VastmindCinorjer