Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Tibetan Buddhism vegetarian ?

13»

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

And yet (organic) raw milk is so much better for you than anything processed....

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited October 2016

This thread is still open?

goes and gets popcorn and steals borrows lobster's cushion

Buddhadragonlobster
  • @dhammachick said:

Until all sheep are free this thread must remain!!!!

And goats!

edited October 2016

@thickpaper said:

@dhammachick said:

Until all sheep are free this thread must remain!!!!

And goats!

Sheep will never be free in Australia and New Zealand :tongue: . It's just they way the world works sunshine.

• @dhammachick said:
    Sheep will never be free in Australia and New Zealand :tongue: . It's just they way the world works sunshine.

OMG! You people!

:+1:

OMG @lobster - I have your cushion :lol:

Steve_Blobster
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

@karasti said:
    I am having a vegetarian lunch. This is what it cost:
    Total: $31.00
    this is one meal, for me. The quinoa and tahini of course will last several meals but I am the only one that eats this food, so it is a lot of money to feed one person in a family of 5. This cost is prohibitive for a lot of people considering it's one meal. If we ate this way for every meal, and there are 5 of us do you see how it becomes a problem? Compared to a pound of ground beef and a taco kit that'll feed the whole family for $7 (less in a bigger city of course).

$31 a meal is very expensive! Veg*n can be expensive, or it can be cheap. It all depends on how thrifty you are. There are various authors, bloggers, etc. who have full and healthy meal plans for like $5 per meal, sometimes even less. I've even seen recipes for under $1 per meal!

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

@seeker242 the point is, in some areas food is just a lot more expensive. That is how it is here because we live in a rather remote area. Everything is expensive. And because of our climate, produce in particular is hard to come by in the winter (which is 6-7 months long) because it freezes. Then we are paying $8 a pound for asparagus that is nothing but a pile of thawed mush. I've seen those recipes, and when they list the price they pay for everything, it's 3-5x more expensive here. We have no bulk stores to buy things in larger quantities, and we are several hours drive from stores that do. We garden and participate in our farmer's market but our growing season is only 80 days. Just an example of what other people deal with when it comes to buying groceries. We travel 100 miles every week to grocery shop just to cut our cost a bit and have access to more options. But a lot of people cannot do that. On the rare occasion we can get to a Trader Joes or Aldis, it's like heaven, lol. But they are 500 miles round trip, so it doesn't happen often.

• @karasti said:
    @seeker242 the point is, in some areas food is just a lot more expensive. That is how it is here because we live in a rather remote area. Everything is expensive. And because of our climate, produce in particular is hard to come by in the winter (which is 6-7 months long) because it freezes. Then we are paying $8 a pound for asparagus that is nothing but a pile of thawed mush. I've seen those recipes, and when they list the price they pay for everything, it's 3-5x more expensive here. We have no bulk stores to buy things in larger quantities, and we are several hours drive from stores that do. We garden and participate in our farmer's market but our growing season is only 80 days. Just an example of what other people deal with when it comes to buying groceries. We travel 100 miles every week to grocery shop just to cut our cost a bit and have access to more options. But a lot of people cannot do that. On the rare occasion we can get to a Trader Joes or Aldis, it's like heaven, lol. But they are 500 miles round trip, so it doesn't happen often.

Hi Seeker, my point is nothing really to do with Dharma, but Veganism. The definition of that officially involves the term "practicable." I think it would be fair to say in cases like yours that it just isn't practicable to have a well rounded and affordable nutritions diet without animal products. or some reasoning along those lines:)

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited October 2016

The only fight/argument/discord I ever see at the Monastery is vegetarians and vegans fighting over whether honey is 'acceptable' or not.

You can't win for losin' , hahaha.

Shoshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@Vastmind said:
    The only fight/argument/discord I ever see at the Monastery is vegetarians and vegans fighting over whether honey is 'acceptable' or not.

You can't win for losin' , hahaha.

Wow @Vastmind ...I love honey and the honey bee and this has never crossed my mind...It's now got the mind buzzing :)

Vastmind
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I was recently given some Scottish honey, made by bees in tiny kilts.

Jeroen
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

(They have not, however, perfected that irritating monotonous drone of bagpipes....)

• smarinosmarino florida Explorer
    edited October 2016

A Buddhist would not ask this question, no matter what lineage. People are always trying to make a bargain w/ their ethical responsibilities to the world, but in the end we actually cannot do this.

Anyone who participates in this carnage is directly responsible for the animal's suffering. The world's economies operate on supply and demand. If there are less people eating the flesh of tortured and murdered sentient beings, then there will be less incentive to kill them for food, since less people will be eating them. This is called cause and effect. Why would a farmer raise animals for this purpose when he couldn't sell them? He wouldn't. Meaning he would not be increasing the sizes of his animal holdings, which leads to less sentient beings being born into suffering and death. So every meal that we abstain from this behavior directly reduces the suffering in this world.

lobsterDairyLama
  • A Buddhist would not ask this question, no matter what lineage.

@smarino
    As a non-Buddhist (see above) of no-lineage, I will continue asking questions, remain indefinable and unrestrained or labled by virtuous pumkin eaters, force feeding me their meatless nut cutlets (too wikid? - must be Halloween) o:)

As far as I understand it food or its restriction, hair or its removal, shoes or their removal, gender or their removal, speech or its absence, will not restrict or enhance awakening ... What will however is attachment to 'our' meatless or other 'virtue'.

Pah humbug!

... and now back to the vegan gore fest ... <3

PS. No animals, except those with egos, were harmed in the production of this post ...

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Oh my Buddha!!

I disappear for one year and all I get is another lousy veg vs carnivores thread gone stale!!

In the end, @thickpaper, it all comes down to personal choices and how well you can live with the consequences of the choices you make.
    Precepts are guidelines, not commandments, as another member pointed out above, and you can figure out which way you prefer to live, without biblebashing your lifestyle at other people's nose.
    Do what feels best for you.
    Respect other people's choices.
    This is a personal path.
    We are not meant to drag people along to Nirvana by the nose.

I was born and raised in Argentina, so I simply love meat, and enjoy eating meat when I visit once a year.
    But when I'm back home in Switzerland, I am mostly vegetarian, leaning on vegan.
    I have tried and liked most of the vegan alternatives to animal products, so I must eat meat like once a month, if even that.
    I do agree with @karasti, though, that a vegan/vegetarian lifestyle can set back severely on the average family's budget: vegan products are still quite expensive.
    Choosing to be vegan is almost a luxury to me.

lobsterVastmind

@lobster said: > > PS. No animals, except those with egos, were harmed in the production of this post ...

Don't you feel any compassion for your lobster brothers and sisters as they are boiled alive?

• ^^. No! I think lobsters are delicious. Told you I was a cannibal. o:) I also consider animals my brothers and sisters. Yum!

Worse things happen at sea.

'Welcome to the real world'
    Morpheus - The Matrix

@DhammaDragon said:
    Oh my Buddha!!

I disappear for one year and all I get is another lousy veg vs carnivores thread gone stale!!

Welcome home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3<3<3 You've been missed.

BuddhadragonlobsterVastmind

Thank you, @dhammachick!!
    I've missed the group so much too.
    We'll see if my Right Speech skills have improved during this long absence...❤

KundoVastmind
    edited October 2016

I hope not - @dhammachick can't fight that corner all on her own.... :P

BuddhadragonVastmindKundo
    edited October 2016

@smarino said:
    A Buddhist would not ask this question, no matter what lineage.

That's possibly the most pretentious comment I've read on here in a long time...

People are always trying to make a bargain w/ their ethical responsibilities to the world, but in the end we actually cannot do this.

If they're always 'trying' to do this, then they will carry on. Because they think, in the end, they can, actually.
    You worry about yourself, leave others to their own devices without shaming and blaming, ok? ;)

Anyone who participates in this carnage is directly responsible for the animal's suffering. The world's economies operate on supply and demand. If there are fewer people eating the flesh of tortured and murdered sentient beings, then there will be less incentive to kill them for food, since fewer people will be eating them. This is called cause and effect. Why would a farmer raise animals for this purpose when he couldn't sell them? He wouldn't. Meaning he would not be increasing the sizes of his animal holdings, which leads to less sentient beings being born into suffering and death. So every meal that we abstain from this behavior directly reduces the suffering in this world.

And what new skill would you teach the farmer in order to replace the stipend he loses through the world suddenly becoming vegetarian overnight? How would you compensate him? Re-train him? In what skill? Think it through. What would you do to cause no disruption at all to this man's continued existence, and that of hs family and employees? Let me know what you come up with as a working plan.

(and yes, I'm a Grammar nerd. So sue me....)

lobster
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Homer shows real compassion for his sentient being friend Pinchie.... AKA @lobster :wink:

lobster
  • @DhammaDragon said:

In the end, @thickpaper, it all comes down to personal choices and how well you can live with the consequences of the choices you make.

But what about how my choices make other being suffer?

Do what feels best for you.

At the cost of how it feels to the animals? That doesn't seem Sukka.

We are not meant to drag people along to Nirvana by the nose.

We are meant to change on the path. From suffering towards sweetness.

@thickpaper said:But what about how my choices make other being suffer?

It doesn't matter what choices you make. Someone, something, somewhere along the line, will suffer. No matter how Noble, Wise and Compassionate your intentions, "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction". However you swing it, it will swing back in other ways....

At the cost of how it feels to the animals? That doesn't seem Sukka.

Do the good you can, with the tools you have and the best intention you can muster. You cannot cover all the bases. You just can't.

Yes but it's a bit like going to the toilet. Everyone must do it for themselves. Sometimes the going's hard, sometimes the outcome is easy. But whatever happens, you make waves, and it all ends up the same way. Worm food.

Buddhadragonkarasti
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

@thickpaper said:
    @DhammaDragon said:

When an activity begins to cause unnecessary harm to others, that is when it stops being a personal choice and becomes an action worthy of criticism.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Even when someone knows better, that does not mean they can always do better. Sometimes there is room for improvement. Sometimes they have reached a point that they cannot improve further, at least not yet. Even where it comes to harm, there are degrees of it, and not all of us are capable of mitigating every degree of every type of suffering immediately. Someone criticizing doesn't change that.

• @thickpaper said:

Right now is the precise moment at which you could profit from use of a mirror.

@seeker242 said:

@thickpaper said:
    @DhammaDragon said:

When an activity begins to cause unnecessary harm to others, that is when it stops being a personal choice and becomes an action worthy of criticism.

Indeed. In Buddhism there is an emphasis on compassion and harmlessness, but some seem to forget this when it comes to dietary choices.

Shoshin
    edited November 2016

@federica said:> > It doesn't matter what choices you make. Someone, something, somewhere along the line, will suffer.

But most of us are in a position to make skillful choices, minimising the harm we cause. Choosing to buy something different at the supermarket is really not that difficult.

lobsterBuddhadragonShoshin

@Steve_B said:

@thickpaper said:

Right now is the precise moment at which you could profit from use of a mirror.

I don't see why, it is just somebody saying what they feel.

@karasti said:
    Even when someone knows better, that does not mean they can always do better.

That doesn't seem to be the situation here. It is more like some people enjoy meat and resent ethical questions being raised about it.

Dandelion
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited November 2016

As a hypocrite, I find a little meditation and being droningly compassionate to cows is much easier than engaged Buddhism ...
    http://www.buddhanetz.org/texte/brown.htm

And now back to droning, dharma cash cows and easy answers ...

Kundo

lobsterKundo

In all honesty, I love the taste of meat.
    I could eat meat every day.
    But it is the ethical reasons that have turned me basically vegetarian.
    The compromise I found between taste and ethics is that: I eat vegetarian/vegan every day, with occasional exceptions -such as a trip to Argentina where meat is delicious- when I indulge in meat more often.
    My point still is: I can make my own decisions about meat, but I can't shove them nor point the finger on others about theirs.
    That is what makes these threads so pointless.

@SpinyNorman said:

@federica said:> > It doesn't matter what choices you make. Someone, something, somewhere along the line, will suffer.

But most of us are in a position to make skillful choices, minimising the harm we cause. Choosing to buy something different at the supermarket is really not that difficult.

@SpinyNorman I am aware of that. It just seems to be that those (@thickpaper, @smarino) advocating doing no harm (very good!) forget that we cannot do actions that will carry universal and all encompassing good. All we can do is to try our best to do the immediate good we can. But that is for the person themselves to decide and to live with. Benevolently bullying just gets people's backs up. How is that "Doing no Harm", and Right Speech? There are ways and ways. Actions speak louder than words, walk the talk. If you do, others may follow. But start preaching sanctimoniously, with the implied 'should', and that's when the juice goes sour....

Buddhadragonkarasti
  • Dear friends, ox lovers, vegans, meat munchers, non-buddhists, evil fishermen, usual suspects,

As mentioned. We have a mind. We have choices. Wisdom is knowing the counter productive effect of militant vegans.

When I was at the Hari Krishna (Hindu Buddhists) temple recently, I was very impressed with how well they treated their cows. <3 Apart from the plowing ox powered part ... which seems a little anachronistic. They also use the ox for transport.
    http://www.bhaktivedantamanor.co.uk/home/?page_id=4073

• @federica said:

@thickpaper said:But what about how my choices make other being suffer?

It doesn't matter what choices you make. Someone, something, somewhere along the line, will suffer.

I think that cannot be karma. The choice I make casts the world. It is the fundamental distinction between action and accident. Accidentally killing the bug is karmically different from intentionally killing the bug.

Do the good you can, with the tools you have and the best intention you can muster. You cannot cover all the bases. You just can't.

No, but I can very easily cover the base that says: "I will not encourage the suffering of other beings by my choices." And that is one of the biggest bases I can cover.

I think it is that simple.

ShoshinDandelion

Lots of 'I' in there. Which implies that YOU make YOUR choices. As others must make theirs.

I think we're done here, because this discussion is getting distinctly cyclical.

Thanks to all who contributed, whatever they contributed. Repetition heralds closure.

thickpaperKundoJeroen
This discussion has been closed.