Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Yoga

There have been several mentions of Yoga recently, the one which sticks in my mind was about increasing body flexibility. In my youth I was a gymnast, but the passing years have gradually reduced my flexibility to the point where I seriously need to take action.

Can anyone suggest an online resource to teach me some basic moves? :)

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

There are lots of videos on youtube. It's really about finding a type of yoga, and a teacher, that works for you. I tried yoga a million times in my life and it never stuck because i was bored out of my mind. It took a long time to find a teacher that helped me understand it better (in away that worked for me). I was also a gymnast, and despite having been gone from the sport for 25 years, I was amazed how fast my flexibility came back. And the little aches and pains all went away. The best thing is to try different things and see what you like. Some prefer live classes. I live in the sticks and the only live class here isn't at a time that works for me.

Once you figure out what you like, there are several places that offer really good streaming yoga. Udaya is very good. I use Travis Eliot's ConnectPal, because he's my favorite teacher. Either will let you choose what you want to work on (backbends, hips, general yoga, yin, etc) and the length of time, which is nice. Travis has several videos on youtube. I also like Vytas Bauskauskas. But everyone is different. I find Travis' cuing to be perfect, I can do any of his practices without ever having to look at the screen because his instructions are clear. But look for Yoga Foundations types of things that move slower so you can learn the basic poses and the correct alignment. Yoga, like anything, can be healing or destructive. You can injure yourself fairly well by not having correct form. But I found it came easily to me because so much of it is similar to gymnastics floor routines.

Tara1978
  • Tara1978Tara1978 UK Veteran

Thank you @karasti , I shall i check these out, I can't to a class easily so home practice is just the thing!

• B)

Buddha was a yogi before awakening. So it is complimentary. I have done a few styles, starting with 'from a book' which my parents got from the library. I have also taught yoga.

As well as Youtube that @karasti mentions, there are apps and programs for IOS, Windows, tablets and phones etc. A useful resource.

I will recommend three practices, which you will find in most styles and can be considered a complete yoga practice to start the day ...

Hope that is helpful :)

karastiTara1978mmo
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Sun salutations are a wonderful way to start the day! Some days are just too busy for anything else, and salutations are all you need and more. I do them every morning with my youngest son, and even 10 minutes of slow salutations makes a huge difference in how I feel, how I move and how I connect with my body during the day.

I struggle with allergies which makes pranayama difficult. I still do it but I get really frustrating. But it is a wonderful practice which also makes a difference. It also has helped my meditation as it's improved my breath focus. Good stuff.

Just something to keep in mind is that yoga is really a lifestyle that has many parts, and asana (the movement/poses we mostly think of yoga as) is just part of it. You can, of course, use it however you want. But since you asked in a Buddhist forum, it is well worth delving into all the limbs of yoga, when you are ready. It will deepen not only your yoga practice, but meditation, Buddhism, and about anything else in your life.

lobsterVastmindTara1978
  • Tara1978Tara1978 UK Veteran

Thank you again @karasti , lots to delve into and new practices to learn. I like the idea of it being part of my meditation practice.