Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@newbuddhist.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take up to 48 hours. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

vitamins and supplements

This discussion was created from comments split from: Do supplements or herbs help meditation?.

Comments

• terminalterminal bellingham New
    edited November 2016

I've been taking 'liquid Chi' to help with meditations and astral projections. I'm level 2 Vulcan's Treasure. There are multiple Ormus and Alchemy tinctures that help in meditation.

(Moderator note: Commercial/spam link removed.)

• Steve_BSteve_B Far southwest corner of Indiana, USA Veteran

Some years ago the Dalai Lama made a number of experienced monks -- essentially "professional meditators" -- available for brain scans while meditating, and the scans showed that the monks had indeed trained their brains to enter a meditative state to a degree not seen in inexperienced meditators.

If someone had access to this technology, and a lot of funding and a lot of time, and HHDL could be called upon to send in a larger team, then an experiment could be designed: Randomly assign experienced monks to three groups. Do multiple scans to establish baselines on all participants. Give one group the supplement you want to study, give another group a placebo (but don't let the participants or the experimenters know who got what), give the third group nothing. Repeat scans and compare.

An interesting variation, perhaps more relevant to the rest of us, would be to do the the experiment with inexperienced amateurs.

But even if this demonstrated a positive effect of the supplement, it would also mean that you wouldn't learn to still the "monkey mind" if instead you do it chemically. You might have a reliably slowed-down brain, but would you have insight as a result?

lobsterDhammaDragon
  • SpinyNormanSpinyNorman It's still all old bollocks Veteran

@AstralProjectee said:
    I have been wondering this and hope someone here has some insight. I would think that if the mind has a hard time calming down that some supplements and herb might help. Like maybe taurine, 5-HTP, melatonin, and for herbs you know the calming ones. Valerian hops lavender and similar ones. Any thoughts?

As a general observation, it is also worth considering a reduction in things which over-stimulate, like strong coffee and spending too much time online.

lobster
  • Save your money and have a cup of tea ...
    http://yinyana.tumblr.com/day/2012/12/30

Chamomile is very relaxing ...

• SpinyNormanSpinyNorman It's still all old bollocks Veteran

And chuck your "I"Phone in a bucket of water! Don't become an "I"Phone smombie!

lobster
  • federicafederica seeker of the clear blue sky Moderator

@terminal said:
    I've been taking liquid-chi.com to help with meditations and astral projections. I'm level 2 Vulcan's Treasure. There are multiple Ormus and Alchemy tinctures that help in meditation.

How very nice for you. You can afford to throw that much money at an unproven quack, snake-oil merchant, and hope the short-cut to Nibbana works for you?

I have news for you. It's utter bunkum. Just sit, and meditate using millennia-old methods. Trust me, they cost less, and work better.

lobsterDavid
This discussion has been closed.