Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Why does tv portray people being so ugly towards eachother?

2»

Comments

• @dhammachick - haha. I don't think it's just in Oz that that's a problem! :lol:

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    edited December 2016

Those street interviews are so incredibly edited. They are in NO way representative of a "large" amount of our youth population. They only serve to continue this bizarre "the youth of America are stupid and can't be trusted!" line that is playing out here lately. It is not true. I think it is a result of older Americans desiring to cling to their way of life from the 40s and 50s and disliking the way youth see the world. But it is NOT a case of the young people being stupid. Quite the opposite. They are smart and engaged and very unhappy with the world we have left for them and determined to change course. And I believe they will. They are so much more knowledgeable about politics, the government, and the world at large than I was at that age. By leaps and bounds. They are going to protests, writing politicians. Don't believe those crap videos. They are lies and meant for humorous entertainment.

As far as the violence, it's just like our gun debate, they mostly go hand in hand. Our country was founded on manipulation, lies and violence, and it wasn't all that many years ago. We are still dealing with it today. Our love of guns and blowing shit up carries through the entire fabric of our society from way back in Wild West, Western Movement, and Civil War days (and probably beyond, I'm not huge on that late history, lol). And it continues visibly today, not just in Hollywood and our gun culture, but in how we still treat Native Americans. They are being treated worse than stray dogs at their protest site in ND, while we treated a bunch of white men with guns who inhabited government property as guests, basically. that is the basis of what our country is and where it came from. And every person has to investigate their beliefs on this stuff and figure it out. But most do not. And it doesn't help that our schools lie about the truth of our history, especially to young kids. Our schools claim to be designed to educate young people to go out in the world, but they are designed to produce ideal patriots who contribute to our existing economy and keep the status quo. It's a bad system that contributes to all the problems we have.

JeroenfedericaShoshin
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

(I'm still stunned that @karasti said 'shit'....)

karastiKundo
  • @federica said:
    (I'm still stunned that @karasti said 'shit'....)

Maybe s/he is having a bad day...?

karasti

LOL Nah, no bad day. I'm just not much of a curser. On occasion for impact when a more civil word doesn't quite convey the appropriate emotion and in this case in cultural context.

federica
  • In reality TV and Movies can only mimic what it thinks to be the most realistic depiction of current events, places, and people. The sad truth is that what you see and observe as entertainment, is perhaps only about half of how ugly and nasty things really are.

• This is a violent movie ostensibly about accounting and autism

Fun! Not your thing? I have worked with autustic kids and had a good friend who was an accountant ... well that is my excuse ... o:)

• This patriot wishes that schools could even begin to produce any sort of patriot. Ideal or otherwise. Somehow as I grow older the only people I trust anymore are fellow combat veterans. Graduates of the school of the cruel.

• From Horace. Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori.

• @grackle said:
    From Horace. Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori.

Does this mean: sweet and beautiful is for father's death?

• No. It is sweet and proper to die for ones country.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

"Never be prepared to die for your Beliefs or Principles. You might just be wrong...."

I don't think there is any Honour in dying for one's country.
    I don't think there's any Honour at all, in Conflict and War. Just the sacrifice of the many, for the justification by the few, most of which is a front for more nefarious and underhand _un_justified wheeling and dealing.
    They might tell us "This" is why we went to war. They'll never tell us why we "REALLY" went to war....

lobsterkarasti
    edited December 2016

"Never be prepared to die for your Beliefs or Principles. You might just be wrong...."

I don't think there is any Honour in dying for one's country.
    I don't think there's any Honour at all, in Conflict and War. Just the sacrifice of the many, for the justification by the few, most of which is a front for more nefarious and underhand un justified wheeling and dealing.
    They might tell us "This" is why we went to war. They'll never tell us why we "REALLY" went to war....

• @grackle said:
    Somehow as I grow older the only people I trust anymore are fellow combat veterans. Graduates of the school of the cruel.

B) Understood.
    You are on one of the hardest paths. We have vets here. Two sorts, those that look after the animals like me and the battle scarred. :scream:

The Buddha was from the warrior class. Look after Bodhi Parrot. Be kind to vets. Wage war on cruelty. There is a plan for everyone. <3

Lobster (pureland patriot) ...

• @Tiddlywinds said:
    It sure has developed a strange view on society. There are the weird scenes on American programmes which show a woman in a skimpy bikini while the man has to wear trousers to swim in the ocean because he can't wear Speedos as they're too revealing!

I put it down to the puritanical origins of the US society. As an American friend said 'The forefathers were so conservative, not even the Dutch would have them'.

I think it's crazy that women are expected to wear almost nothing on beaches and at swimming pools, while men wear long board shorts. It looks absurd. I sometimes wear shorts and a t-shirt for swimming, other times, a bathing suit that's styled like shorts.

I discovered when doing a family genealogy, and again more recently I came across an article that said that the Puritans were just one group among several. They receive the most attention and have become the stereotype of the early settlers in North America, but in fact, they were in the minority.

Recently an article said that the people who celebrated the first Thanksgiving in Jamestown weren't Puritans, even though they're usually portrayed as such. And the first ancestor in my grandmother's lineage to arrive in the (future) US was run out of town for being a Puritan! They weren't welcome in many communities in Connecticut and New York.

• @lobster. Thankfully my days of waging war are over. By inclination I am an isolationist. But when called to duty I answered that call. For better or worse. Now it is the struggle against greed,hatred and delusion. A more difficult undertaking.

lobsterBuddhadragon
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@karasti said:
    LOL Nah, no bad day. I'm just not much of a curser. On occasion for impact when a more civil word doesn't quite convey the appropriate emotion and in this case in cultural context.

Apparently, people who curse are happier and more intelligent.
    More intelligent, the jury's still out, but I know I am a big curser and I sure am very happy...

• @grackle said:
    But when called to duty I answered that call.

I know.
    My father did too. Not me. I was behind the sofa trying to brave when the daleks came out ...
    You did your duty. Bravo.

The new battle against greed hatred and delusion. That one I know. That one I go to to the hard front with a soft cushion as Pali Canon fodder o:)

It would depend how you define a patriot. Producing kids/people who are loyal to their country out of a sense of obligation and nothing more is not healthy, IMO. The fact that we draw lines in the sand and defend them to the death is awful to me, and not something worthy of having pride in. When I say "I love my country" I am talking about the people-all people as hard as it can be some days-living with in it. Not my government as a social construct, not the values of society, certainly not the way we've gone about business since we started landing on the shores and most definitely not for geographical borders or pieces of fabric. In fact, the lines between countries continues to blur for me and there is nothing I would hold for myself as an American that I would withhold from anyone else.

Going back to schools, I didn't even understand what the Star Spangled Banner meant until I was an adult. Teaching words to kids that they don't even understand as a way to encourage them to be fiercely loyal to their labels and borders just isn't what I want for my kids.

If only all the people who fight so hard for our flag cared even a fraction as much about the people living under it.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@lobster said:
    The new battle against greed hatred and delusion. ...

As personified by El Presidente Trump?

I don't think that greed, hatred and delusion are new, nor are they exclusive to Trump, lol. His being elected is the product of all of those things that have long been forerunners in our society.

• just press the mute button and watch TV and put on ear plugs and watch movies

you can see the difference, it will be a good dhamma lesson

• @lobster. Pali Canon fodder. What a creative way you have with words. Thank you.

• Thanks @grackle <3

There is no enemy. In other words Trumpe towers US, is like my fear of fish with superpowers, all in the imagination. Be kind to the personification/manifestation of the impediment/hindrance. Mara and her sons is no seducer. Nothing and everything can stop ... or empower.

I choose empower. Iz plan!

upekka
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

At the outbreak of WWII, my British father had long been living in Argentina and refused to return to his homeland to fight for his country.
    He received an anonymous white feather per post.
    He died peacefully of old age totally unconcerned for belic conflicts.

Kundolobster
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Apparently, people who "curse" are happier and more intelligent.
    More intelligent, the jury's still out, but I know I am a big curser and I sure am very happy...

:wink::lol:

BuddhadragonKundosilverWalker
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

Apparently, people who curse are happier and more >intelligent.
    More intelligent, the jury's still out, but I know I am a >big curser and I sure am very happy...

Well then I'm the jolliest genius around :awesome: