Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@newbuddhist.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take up to 48 hours. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Ray Peat diet for good health

'Ray Peat' has the ideal diet, I recommend it to avoid illness. Examples:

of bad food - it is vital to avoid this entirely because it has polyunsaturated fat, poisonous to humans:
seed
nut
vegetable oil

of good food - high sugar, protein and low saturated fat:
seeded fruit - orange juice
milk (no more than 1%)
egg

If you are diabetic, the diet should be high protein and lower sugar, but still avoid polyunsaturated fat that is a poison found in a lot of commercial food.

Comments

• 77887788 Explorer

Supplements:
    -salt
    -coconut oil (this has very low polyunsaturated fat, or use olive oil as a worse alternative)
    -vitamin E (this helps if your body is already saturated with polyunsaturated fat to get rid of it)

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I recommend one well rounded meal a day as the Buddha suggested.

But, like all diets, it wouldn't suit everyone!

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited December 2016

Fish! o:)

• Steve_BSteve_B Far southwest corner of Indiana, USA Veteran

@7788 said:
    Examples:
    of bad food - it is vital to avoid this entirely because it has polyunsaturated fat, poisonous to humans:
    seed
    nut
    vegetable oil

Can you describe and cite the research that demonstrated the toxicity of seeds, nuts, and vegetable oil?

person
  • No thanks, I don't believe in fad or special diets unless the doctor tells me I should avoid certain foods for medical reasons. You're going to pry my fried chicken leg out of my cold dead hands.

lobstersilverkarastiVastmind
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Veteran

everyone is different and they should find what works for them. Nuts and seeds have healthy fats, and have been studied to find many benefits. But some benefits more than others and from particular types of seeds. Seeds that are soaked in salt and roasted lose their benefits. Raw nuts and seeds are another story and should not be avoided because of their fat content. High sugar diets are not recommended for most, even if it is mostly fruit. Buddha called for middle way, and I've found it's best to maintain that in diet as well. Do what works for you. There simply is NO ideal diet for every human.

Bunks
  • FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

I'm in - as soon as it is available as bagged kibble.

• federicafederica seeker of the clear blue sky Moderator

Moderator note:

I think, @7788, you need to stop coming up with suggestions as to what we 'should' do, and instead, begin interacting on current discussions as they stand.
    It's really quite impolite to approach a forum and utilise that privilege to start spreading your own opinions, without first at least establishing yourself as a willing, communicative, interactive member.

Steve_Blobster
  • BexMBexM U.K. New

@Bunks said:

Do you do this? I'm a big fan of intermittent fasting. Sometimes 5:2 per week. Some days I miss one meal. But I've never thought of just eating one big meal a day. Fasting has made me feel better than I have done in ages. It made me realise how little we actually need to eat to survive and to stop shoving food in my mouth ! (Although I still pig out ocasionally

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Veteran

Be a little careful of the difference between eating to survive, versus eating to thrive. Survival is the bare minimum and long-term results in a lot of problems.

I usually eat 2 meals a day. Sometimes 1. I basically go by how I feel. I rarely eat breakfast, eat a big lunch, and a small (if at all) dinner. If I am hungry, I eat. I stop eating long before I am full.

KeromelobsterBunks

@BexM said:

@Bunks said:

Do you do this? I'm a big fan of intermittent fasting. Sometimes 5:2 per week. Some days I miss one meal. But I've never thought of just eating one big meal a day. Fasting has made me feel better than I have done in ages. It made me realise how little we actually need to eat to survive and to stop shoving food in my mouth ! (Although I still pig out ocasionally

Hi @BexM - how are you?

I have started taking the eight mahayana precepts on each new and full moon days.

The sixth precept states "Avoid eating more than one meal a day. The meal is taken before noon, and once one has stopped eating for thirty minutes, the meal is considered finished. At other times of the day one can take light drinks, but not undiluted whole milk or fruit juice with pulp. Avoid eating meat, chicken, fish, eggs, onions, garlic and radishes."

The two times I have done it I have had to prepare an evening meal for my kids so that was a bit tough! However, I found my mind is clearer in the evenings and I don't feel as cloudy in the mind.

Not sure I could do it every day though!

Good luck......

• BexMBexM U.K. New

@Bunks said:

@BexM said:

@Bunks said:

Hi @BexM - how are you?

I have started taking the eight mahayana precepts on each new and full moon days.

The sixth precept states "Avoid eating more than one meal a day. The meal is taken before noon, and once one has stopped eating for thirty minutes, the meal is considered finished. At other times of the day one can take light drinks, but not undiluted whole milk or fruit juice with pulp. Avoid eating meat, chicken, fish, eggs, onions, garlic and radishes."

The two times I have done it I have had to prepare an evening meal for my kids so that was a bit tough! However, I found my mind is clearer in the evenings and I don't feel as cloudy in the mind.

Good luck......

Hi!

Sounds great. I know that when I fast I feel great. I don't do complete fasts. Just less than 600 cals 2 or 3 times a week.
    But I would like to bring more Buddhist spiritual practise into my daily so I may try that.
    Thank you.
    Namaste

@BexM said:

@Bunks said:

@BexM said:

@Bunks said:

Hi @BexM - how are you?

Good luck......

Hi!

Sounds great. I know that when I fast I feel great. I don't do complete fasts. Just less than 600 cals 2 or 3 times a week.
    But I would like to bring more Buddhist spiritual practise into my daily so I may try that.
    Thank you.
    Namaste

Good luck!

http://thubtenchodron.org/2011/06/taking-one-day-vows/

BexM
  • personperson Where is my mind? 'Merica! Veteran

Here's a good video I came across not long ago on the benefits of eating once a day and less overall.

lobster
  • 77887788 Explorer

All of the posts made after my post are wrong or unproductive.

Do not spread assumptions.

• There actually only is 1 ideal diet for the human. There do exist foods that we should eat at all and they are very common e.g. vegetable oil is added to most commercial food (it is high in polyunsaturated fat)

• Food restriction is an aid to spiritual progress, that is the reason it is recommended.

The most important thing to remember is that polyunsaturated fat is to be avoided because it's unhealthy. Even if you restrict your calories it is better to avoid it.

personlobster
  • 77887788 Explorer

Meat or milk is not required if you are a vegan although milk is an excellent food. Potatoes contain high quality protein and so do button mushrooms, if you're not vegetarian.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited December 2016

Eh ma ho!
    oh @federica can we keep the Dharma Troll - just for Christmas? Pretty please? o:)

• personperson Where is my mind? 'Merica! Veteran

@7788 said:

Thanks so much! I was foolishly considering others thoughts and opinions, and actually thought they might have a valid point, can you imagine!

lobster
  • 77887788 Explorer

@lobster said:

Eh ma ho!
    oh @federica can we keep the Dharma Troll - just for Christmas? Pretty please? o:)

Why would I lie? It's you who's trolling me because you are not serious about becoming spiritual, you're accusing me of what you're doing.

lobster
  • 77887788 Explorer
    edited December 2016

@person said:

@7788 said:

Thanks so much! I was foolishly considering others thoughts and opinions, and actually thought they might have a valid point, can you imagine!

There is no room for opinion when it comes to human health. I told you to do the research yourself so you would not rely on opinions.

Note: One of my threads that explained "self-enquiry" was deleted.

Not deleted. Just consigned to the "unnecessary" Pile.... Still have it for future reference. Or laughs....

@lobster said:

Eh ma ho!

No, we need nourishment, not punishment... pass the mince pies, double cream and glass of sherry, there's a dear....

lobster
This discussion has been closed.