Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Working directly with suffering

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

Have any of you ever tried working directly with other people on their suffering? From the 4NT and our own experience we know that we all suffer, but most people in the western world seem bent on ignoring it. They try to "think themselves happy".

But I've had some luck confronting people directly with the question, "what is the root of your suffering?" Some people find it easy to put their finger on at least an aspect of it, but everyone finds it interesting to think about.

Shoshin

Comments

• JaySonJaySon Florida Veteran

For everyone I know, the answer is always to consume entertainment, food, alcohol, drugs, or prescription meds.

Tigger
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

If I say that to someone, they'll look at me like I just got out of some weird spaceship...
    See, I already know the answer, but unless we're consciously engaged specifically on discussing a particular significant issue, people would rather not face or think about that....

And if we ARE consciously engaged specifically on discussing a particular significant issue, you have to be careful with your wording and timing, otherwise they can take it personally and consider your question an implication that their situation is their fault...

KundoTigger