Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@newbuddhist.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take up to 48 hours. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Low Carb High Fat...

12345679»

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Veteran

I've been back on track the past week or so, feel much better. Traveling this weekend so trying to put a plan together. My son almost always chooses Italian (the American version, lol) so we'll see what happens. Last time I got steak but it was not all that good for how much it was. Hoping he'll want to try something new instead.

• federicafederica seeker of the clear blue sky Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Pork cheek slow-cooker stew, with leeks, onions, tinned tomatoes, baby carrots mushrooms, and seasoned with cumin and smoked paprika.
    Who's up for a bowl...?!

karastiHozan
  • @federica said:
    Pork cheek slow-cooker stew, with leeks, onions, tinned tomatoes, baby carrots mushrooms, and seasoned with cumin and smoked paprika.
    Who's up for a bowl...?!

YES PLEASE!!!!

• federicafederica seeker of the clear blue sky Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

It's utterly, utterly lush!

I had the temerity to try black soya bean linguine with it. Per 100g, 19% carbs, 46% protein.
    I had 50g....

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Sounds like a bell-ringer to me - count me in!
    Although I'd like to know which end of the pig the cheek came from. :grin:

• DhammaDragonDhammaDragon Carpe Diem Recidivist Samsarist Veteran

@federica said:
    Just came across an article talking about Blood Group diets.... Anybody have any opinions, or know about it...? Am doing some research myself.....

I'm O+, and as such have the most common blood group.
    Here's what I - and other O+'s - am/are supposedly permitted to eat and discouraged from eating..

I am 0+ too, Fede.
    Interesting that some of the foods that are mentioned as not ideal for the group are foods that I instinctively reject, while I love most of the foods mentioned as suitable.

@silver said:
    Sounds like a bell-ringer to me - count me in!
    Although I'd like to know which end of the pig the cheek came from. :grin:

Well, not the tush!

@DhammaDragon, yes, I agree!

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Veteran

so this morning I was combing my hair for a work skype meeting. I usually just throw it in a ponytail because I shower a little later, after my workout. I noticed that I suddenly have significantly less gray hair. I had a good 2 inch wide streak going that was growing regularly. I noticed today it is virtually entirely gone. It was something that has been building the last 5 years or so. Just gone. I have a stray gray or 2, and that's it.

Looking online, it's apparently somewhat common in low carb diets for gray hair to stop. Super interesting. Definitely an unexpected aspect. I found these comments (no, I didn't verify them, just found them interesting and I'm going to look more into it when I have more time). The first comment especially explains why I feel so fantastic, too. I feel amazing and only sleep 6 hours a night, I'm very rarely tired outside of bedtime (only on the first day of my period) and I feel like I have more energy than my kids most days. I'm not sure I've truly felt this good in the last 20 years.

"Regarding gray hairs, this happens when your body is unable to synthesize an adequate amount of melanin. Melanin is the pigmentation that gives your hair its natural color. In order to make melanin, your body needs a specific non-essential but yet conditional amino acid called tyrosine. Your body also needs tyrosine in order to make dopamine, norepinephrine, epinephrine, coenzyme Q10, and thyroid hormones. The availability of the needed amount of tyrosine may become deficient due to an incomplete diet low in protein." Dr Luan Pho

"Also, high-carb diets have been shown to inhibit the production of catalase, which moderates hydrogen peroxide in the body. Hydrogen peroxide can bleach your hair from the inside out. Switching to a low-carb diet like keto, therefore, can potentially restore nominal catalase levels and return hair to its proper coloration (less the march of genetics)"

Wow, thank goodness you posted this - I thought my grey-hair growth had slowed down, but I didn't want to believe it had anything to do with my LCHP/F WoE, because I thought it was a figment of my imagination, and 'too good to be true'...Well I never.
    I've noticed it too....