Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Beauty of Spring

TiggerTigger Toronto, Canada Veteran

Hello Everyone,

Spring is finally here on this side of the world and I wanted to share some pictures I have. FYI - these pictures were actually taken last spring (May and June).

One day walking to work I noticed a birds nest, very close to the ground. It made me nervous because It was at arms reach and I was afraid someone would try and destroy it or accidentally damage it due to curiosity. It was at the foot of my condo so I watched it very closely for 2 months making sure nobody touched it (as did others I noticed). I want everyone to know that I did everything I could to take these pictures without scaring the birds or mother. I usually waited until the mother was gone to snap the pictures. I'm sure I scared them a little but I never had the opportunity to see something so beautiful up close like this. enjoy!

It was only about 30-40 days from the 1st picture to the last which is pretty amazing.

karastiHozanlobsterFosdickBunksShoshinsatcittanandaBuddhadragon

Comments

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

You were lucky to spot them and get such nice pictures. Those eggs are so blue!
    I had a similar experience a few years ago, when birds built a nest near my car up under the eve of the carport. I was able to watch them grow and be able to peek out over their nests, straining their little necks to look for mama bird.

Sweet pictures - doesn't take long for them to outgrow their home.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Lovely! Robins? A couple of years ago while we were out boating we could hear an eagle screeching, so we looked around (it's illegal to disturb them so you have to keep a distance) and found a mother bald eagle guarding 2 rather large babies. She was fishing and feeding them. It was so awesome to watch. I love the look on her face, the baby had just eaten and was squacking for more.

TiggerHozan
  • TiggerTigger Toronto, Canada Veteran

Gorgeous birds @karasti

My husband took the pictures, my phone is about all I mangae, lol. Loving spring time! We've been melting snow and even seeing some green grass (a little early for us). I love listening to the winter world coming back to life :)

• TiggerTigger Toronto, Canada Veteran
    edited March 2017

I know what you mean. Every spring I get this pep in my step and this huge burst of happiness and positivity. There is this little red bird (don't have a pic yet because it's shy) that comes on my balcony in the morning and chirps the most beautiful chirp I've ever heard. It's been coming for about 5 years now. Goes away in the winter and comes back in the spring.

Kannon
  • KannonKannon NAMU AMIDA BUTSU Ach-To Veteran

@Tigger that reminds me of the Robin in the Secret Garden. It's a great novel to read this time of year

Tigger
  • FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

Still no spring here - it snowed this morning, but I am seeing some birds that I have not seen here for 10 years or so. A yellow-shafted flicker scrutinizing me through my office window, a pair of Steller's jays that I normally only see in the fall. High hopes for spring, if it ever does get here.

Tigger

Our spring appears to be coming a little early. Time will tell if it holds or not. Our ground is already warming up and there are bugs out. Several weeks early.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@eggsavior said:
    @Tigger that reminds me of the Robin in the Secret Garden. It's a great novel to read this time of year

Aaah! Mary Lennox, Dickon & Colin..... Lovely tale!

• New bird for me - reed bunting photographed yesterday

ShoshinTigger
  • KannonKannon NAMU AMIDA BUTSU Ach-To Veteran

@federica yep! It's one of my favorite novels. I love how it describes finding such joy in nature and kindness.

Tigger
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

"Hysterics, Hysterics Hysterics!!" She repeated it, because she loved the sound of it.

I often think that about minor rumblings on here, too!

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

"In Spring hundreds of flowers-
    In Summer refreshing breeze-
    In Autumn the moon-
    Free your mind from idle thoughts and for you everyday is a good day!"

lobsterTiggerFosdick
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2017

'

ShoshinlobsterTigger
    edited April 2017

"Oh,to be in England
    Now that April 's there,
    And whoever wakes in England
    Sees, some morning, unaware,
    That the lowest boughs and the brushwood sheaf
    Round the elm-tree bole are in tiny leaf,
    While the chaffinch sings on the orchard bough
    In England—now!

And after April, when May follows,
    And the whitethroat builds, and all the swallows-
    Hark! Where my blossom'd pear-tree in the hedge
    Leans to the field and scatters on the clover
    Blossoms and dewdrops - at the bent spray's edge -
    That 's the wise thrush; he sings each song twice over,
    Lest you should think he never could recapture
    The first fine careless rapture!

And though the fields look rough with hoary dew,
    All will be gay when noontide wakes anew
    The buttercups, the little children's dower
    —Far brighter than this gaudy melon-flower!"

Written by Robert Browning, in Italy. He and his wife, the equally wonderful (some say better) poet, Elizabeth Barrett Browning, were living there for the good of her health; the British climate did not support her poor constitution. She died in 1861. He returned to England, the following year. She remained buried in the English cemetery, in Florence.

This, for many reasons, has to be my favourite poem.

• @Tigger said:
    I'm sure I scared them a little but I never had the opportunity to see something so beautiful up close like this. enjoy!

<3 Indeed.

You might enjoy 'Earth Pilgrim'. About a lovely ex-Jain monk, Satish Kumar, who lives on Dartmoor. Probably one of my favourite documentaries ...

ShoshinTigger