Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Are we heading for greater inequality?

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

An excellent article on inequality... I rarely venture far into political philosophy but the issue of equality I find very touching. I would like to see a world that is a meritocracy with people starting from a close to equal basis, but according to this article that is not the world we are likely to get. Worth reading.

https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/2017/may/24/are-we-about-to-witness-the-most-unequal-societies-in-history-yuval-noah-harari

Vastmind

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

I enjoyed the article too.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Well that's why we have social democracy in Europe, and safety nets for the sick and disabled and elderly in law. But the point I was making was that everyone should start from an equal basis - perhaps a 100% inheritance tax and instead a state grant for everyone when you are 25 would be a way to do this. We should try to eliminate the "luck of the draw" of family background, that is the only way you will truly see which people are talented and hard-working.

But from a Buddhist point of view, compassion and merit have a quite different meaning. I don't know to what extent it is practiced, but you would hope that one rice farmer would help another if he had trouble with his crops.

Zenshin